Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Version 8 And AVCHD
Larry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2009 22:48 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Will Version 8 allow me to edit my Canon AVCHD files?
Will I be able to burn these to a regular DVD disk?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I saw a thread where some were having trouble with the Canon HD video. I don't doubt them, but it is odd since Canon is supposed to use the same video format as Sony and Panasonic, both of which are officially supported. I don't have my Canon HDV, yet, so someone else will have to confirm this. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Peter Ozpeter [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 10, 2008 20:51 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Never mind any reports from others one way or t'other, I would recommend that if feasible you download the trial and see whether it works on your system with your files. That's the only way to be sure.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Larry, I have a Cannon HG20 and normally do not have any trouble editing my AVCHD files. I record at 1920x1080i with a bit rate of 24 Mb/s and have no issues. However, I do have a quad core computer which makes things much easier. If you are only using a dual core computer then you have have problems. One thing I should mention is that encoding into the MPEG4 format does introduce some quality loss. I normally encode at 25 Mb/s MPEG2 and get good results. Cyberlink is aware of the MPEG4 encoding problems.

Sometimes PD will become unstable when working with AVCHD files. To fix this I reboot my computer and make sure the hard drive is degramented. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Larry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2009 22:48 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you James and everyone.
I only have a dual core. Maybe I should
wait until I buy a quad and by that time they
will probably get the bugs eliminated in 8.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Larry, for comparison I also have a dual core 2 GHz laptop. I can edit my AVCHD video with it, but my CPU usage is nearly maxed out. I also found that installing ffdshow helped as well. A quad core just provides you greater overhead. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Joshua Post [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 02, 2009 18:00 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am using a Canon HF200 with AVCHD files and it works fine on my dual core. It does max it out, but eventually it finishes.