Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Text seems trimmed at the top
yoavlin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 28, 2013 12:02 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I've been having problems when rendering videos with text: sometimes the letters seem to be trimmed at the top. I've attached a file to demonstrate this.
I've tried different fonts and different backgrounds, but the problem remains.
I'm using PoweDirector 16 Ultra, on an HP laptop running Windows 10 Home X64.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks, Yoav
[Thumb - text problem.jpg]
 Filename
text problem.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
277 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That does seem strange, especially since you see it with different fonts and different backgrounds. By "backgrounds" do you mean different Titles (like lower thirds)? Do you see the same problem with a plain Default title placed in the center of your screen?

I wonder if your Windows text size setting might be affecting this. Close PD, then type text size in the "Type here to search" box next to the Windows Start Menu, and choose the System settings option that pops up. It should look something like this:

If either the Make text bigger or Make everything bigger settings are above 100%, try lowering them one at a time and then restart PD.

I realize this will make it harder to use Windows in general, but if this is what's causing the text clipping, you could temporarily make the change whenever you need to produce videos with the text correctly displayed.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
yoavlin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply.
My Windows text settings are set to 100%.
Lower thirds are fine, with no clipping at all.
When I enlarge the text size, there is no clipping. For example, when the size of the font is 12, the upper part is clipped. If I enlarge the same text to 40, the clipping disappears.
This happens with all fonts and colors, including the default title (Sagoe UI size 48, white).
When I'm writing the text or editing it, I do not see the clipping. The problem appears only in preview mode and in the final rendered movie.
I also use hebrew fonts on my computer, and they also get clipped.
Any more Ideas how to solve this mystery?

Quote That does seem strange, especially since you see it with different fonts and different backgrounds. By "backgrounds" do you mean different Titles (like lower thirds)? Do you see the same problem with a plain Default title placed in the center of your screen?

I wonder if your Windows text size setting might be affecting this. Close PD, then type text size in the "Type here to search" box next to the Windows Start Menu, and choose the System settings option that pops up. It should look something like this:

If either the Make text bigger or Make everything bigger settings are above 100%, try lowering them one at a time and then restart PD.

I realize this will make it harder to use Windows in general, but if this is what's causing the text clipping, you could temporarily make the change whenever you need to produce videos with the text correctly displayed.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure of what else could cause this issue. The cropping occurs at the top and even on the left of many letters, although it's actually pretty subtle and it took me almost a minute of staring at your image to really see the what you'd described.

It may be worth a try to change Windows text size up a notch, then reboot and open PD. Next try the Make everything bigger at 125% and follow the same steps. Next restore each to 100% (text first) and try PD each time. I say this because to my knowledge, font rendering is a fundamental Windows issue, and changing the display settings is a way to ensure that they're actually set to the specified value.

It's also possible that the video driver may play a role.

Can you please look at the Read Me post at the top of the PD16 forum and post the results of your DxDiag test along with the exact version of PD16 you're running? There may be some clues there, especially if none of the Windows settings have an impact.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

yoavlin [Avatar]
[Post New]
PD version: 16.0.2816.0
SR: VDE180201-01
I've attache the DxDiag file.
Thanks!
 Filename
DxDiag-yoav-lin.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
181 time(s)
yoavlin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Changing the text size and display settings had no effect.
However, I may have found a way around the problem, by editting a lower third text. I've deleted the graphics and particals, changed the text font, color and size, added effects and saved my work as a custom text template. All this did'nt cause any clipping.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Changing the text size and display settings had no effect.
However, I may have found a way around the problem, by editting a lower third text. I've deleted the graphics and particals, changed the text font, color and size, added effects and saved my work as a custom text template. All this did'nt cause any clipping.

I'm glad to hear that your custom template seems to have solved the clipping issue!

The DxDiag results show a couple of things that you may also want to persue. First is that your video driver is from Feb 2108, and the current version was released last week. You can download and install it from here. If you get a message that your manufacturer won't allow you to install that version, go to the HP website and update to their most recent version.

At the end of the test results are a list of the most recent 10 serious crashes. Yours show a wide range of affected products, from PD, Photos and MPC-H64 media player to Windows TaskManager and Word. This suggests that there may be some underlying issues with Windows, and the quickest test/fix is to open an Administrator-level command prompt (use Google if needed) and type sfc /scannow and hit .

Windows will scan for and try to repair any damaged system files. If you get a message that it found but could not repair some damaged files, run the command again.

If you find you still have stability issues (not necessarily related to the PD text issue), you can also try to create a new user profile. Google for more details.

Hopefully you'll end up with a more solid and updated Windows foundation for your editing!

EDIT: Also, your PD16 version is out of date. You should apply the v3408 patch

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 13. 2018 17:56

YouTube/optodata

yoavlin [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did everything you recommended, and hope to have a more stable system now.
I'll let you know if I ever find a permanent solution to my text clipping issue.
Thank you very much for all your help!