Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to import MRK files into Powerdirector?
[Post New]
I have Screen Recorder 3 (that I bought today) and Powerdirector 14 (that came with a new computer I bought; I'm about to buy the newest version 17). Using Screen Recorder 3, I captured screen and webcam, and a MRK file was saved. Then I tried importing the MRK file into Powerdirector 14, but I got an error message.

What should I to to open the MRK file into Powerdirector? I want to open the MRK file in a way that I can edit the screen video and the webcam video independently. Particularly the webcam video, I need to apply effects on it, and move it to different positions during the video. That's why I checked the SAVE MRK FILE in Screen Recorder preferences. If I just open in Powerdirector the MP4 file that was also saved, I can't edit the webcam video and the screen video independently, since the layers are lost in a mp4 file. But I suppose that the MRK file keep the video layers.

Maybe the old version of Powerdirector (14) I have can not open MRK files, I'm not sure.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 06. 2018 15:56

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You don't need to do anything separately with the .mrk files. When you open PD14, simply import the screen recording MP4 into the Media Library. When you drag the clip onto the timeline, PD will automatically load, attach and sync the markers above the clip.

I just tried this with Screen Recorder 2 and PD14. I don't have V3 of the screen recorder, but it should work the same way.

The .mrk file is simply an XML file containing the time and position in for of the mouse clicks, there are no video or layers in it. PD uses the info to internally generate the active rings seen during preview and producing.

I guess I'm not quite clear on what your screen recording and webcam show, or how the .mrk file might interfere with how you want to edit them. A screenshot of your timeline would help, and also some more details about what exactly you want to change in the MRK file.

You can certainly edit the file with any text editor and change the timing and location of any click, but it will take some trial and error to get each of those values to exactly match the new times/location for the click. You'll have to close PD, make the changes to the MRK file, then reopen PD to see how they look every single time

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 06. 2018 16:30

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote You don't need to do anything separately with the .mrk files. When you open PD14, simply import the screen recording MP4 into the Media Library. When you drag the clip onto the timeline, PD will automatically load, attach and sync the markers above the clip.

I just tried this with Screen Recorder 2 and PD14. I don't have V3 of the screen recorder, but it should work the same way.

The .mrk file is simply an XML file containing the time and position in for of the mouse clicks, there are no video or layers in it. PD uses the info to internally generate the active rings seen during preview and producing.

I guess I'm not quite clear on what your screen recording and webcam show, or how the .mrk file might interfere with how you want to edit them. A screenshot of your timeline would help, and also some more details about what exactly you want to change in the MRK file.

You can certainly edit the file with any text editor and change the timing and location of any click, but it will take some trial and error to get each of those values to exactly match the new times/location for the click. You'll have to close PD, make the changes to the MRK file, then reopen PD to see how they look every single time

I'm very disapointed, since I thinked that Screen Recorder 3 could keep the video layers in mrk files! Just recording a mp4 file is not enough! Cyberlink team must work hard to make possible to export the RAW file to Powerdirector! Then, we can EDIT EACH VIDEO captured with Screen Recorder. This is a MUST, of course! I hope we can see this feature in the next version of Screen Recorder.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You still haven't provided a screenshot to help explain what you're trying to do, but I've read your posts a couple of times and it sounds like you're trying to resize the screen capture (with the mouse clicks showing) and place it in another video.

If you want the mouse click "layer" to be resized with the video so the mouse clicks show up where they're supposed to, all you need to do is place the screen capture MP4 video on the timeline all by itself with the MRK points showing and produce it. Then import that clip into your second video and resize/reposition it anywhere you want.

I hope this helps!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
Quote You still haven't provided a screenshot to help explain what you're trying to do, but I've read your posts a couple of times and it sounds like you're trying to resize the screen capture (with the mouse clicks showing) and place it in another video.

If you want the mouse click "layer" to be resized with the video so the mouse clicks show up where they're supposed to, all you need to do is place the screen capture MP4 video on the timeline all by itself with the MRK points showing and produce it. Then import that clip into your second video and resize/reposition it anywhere you want.

I hope this helps!

See the example. There are the big screen video and the webcam video, the small video showing the couple. In programs like Camtasia, after the recording, both videos open in the main editor. Then you can edit both, applying effects and animations on both. But in a mp4 video, the layers are lost, and you can't apply any effect and animation.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34of2tz&s=9#.W-Q0PZNKhhE
optodata
[Post New]
OK. NOW I understand!

I ran a quick test of Screen Recorder 2 on my Surface Pro 3 (which has a webcam). When the recording was finished, I opened the single mp4 in PD and it was "flat" like you described. Screen Recorder 2 captured the webcam stream and overlaid it on the main screen, but it didn't capture the stream separately.

I downloaded the trial version of SR3, and it has a Stream option for Twitch, YouTube and Facebook. There is an option at the bottom to save the stream to disk:

If you have your webcam set up to stream through one of those apps, SR 3 can record the video and you can edit it separately. Maybe this is closer to what you're looking to do.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Quote OK. NOW I understand!

I ran a quick test of Screen Recorder 2 on my Surface Pro 3 (which has a webcam). When the recording was finished, I opened the single mp4 in PD and it was "flat" like you described. Screen Recorder 2 captured the webcam stream and overlaid it on the main screen, but it didn't capture the stream separately.

I downloaded the trial version of SR3, and it has a Stream option for Twitch, YouTube and Facebook. There is an option at the bottom to save the stream to disk:

If you have your webcam set up to stream through one of those apps, SR 3 can record the video and you can edit it separately. Maybe this is closer to what you're looking to do.

Thanks very much, optodata! I'll try your suggestion, but I would like very much to see, in the next version of Screen Recorder, an option to save a project file for PowerDirector, keeping all video layers captured with Screen Recorder. That's the best solution, and I don't understand why it's not already implemented, since it is also a good reason for users to buy both softwares. Screen Recorder is an extremely useful software, but if it can work together with PowerDirector, it will be doing a lot better job.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks very much, optodata! I'll try your suggestion, but I would like very much to see, in the next version of Screen Recorder, an option to save a project file for PowerDirector, keeping all video layers captured with Screen Recorder. That's the best solution, and I don't understand why it's not already implemented, since it is also a good reason for users to buy both softwares. Screen Recorder is an extremely useful software, but if it can work together with PowerDirector, it will be doing a lot better job.

That's a great idea! I hope Cyberlink will consider doing that

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]

That's a great idea! I hope Cyberlink will consider doing that

Thanks my friend! smile