Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shake effect?
GDColon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2018 17:11 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm looking for the best possible way to make a screenshake in PowerDirector (rotation, motion blur, random direction, etc)
The quake and rocking effects aren't going to cut it.
Is there an effect I'm unaware of? If not, is there an external one I can buy/download?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2018 20:51

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Check out the NewBlue Motion Effects by clicking the Download NewBlue Effects icon in the top left of of the fx library/NB Video Essentials. A browser window should open to take you to the fx vault. Motion Effects is the package for you to check out.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried using the Modify option to change the settings away from their default values? There are 4 that affect the motion along with 1 for setting the background color for the "Quake" effect:

I have the NewBlueFX and they have different settings but achieve similar things.

You can also design your own effects using keyframes, but I think changing the settings of one of the built-in motion effects would be the quickest and easiest way to go.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2018 22:02

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
GDColon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Seems like NewBlue Motion Effects is perfect, but it's quite pricey. Any alternatives, or ways to only buy a single effect?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi GDColon -

Older PDR users like me may still have the NewBlue Motion FX from an earlier version. Not completely sure about that.

In any case, the Quake effct should do the job for you.

Here's what the NB Motion effects look like (default values) alongside CL's QUAKE EFFECT (keyframed).

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
GDColon [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think my biggest problem with the quake effect is the black background it leaves behind, which can be seen very clearly in the video. By the way, what do older PDR users have to do with NewBlue FX?

The video makes me extremely convinced to buy NB, but at the same time, it's an absurd price for ten motion effects. I'm only one man, and while NB seems incredible, there are more important things to spend my money on.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
By older PDR users, Tony means those individuals who get the maybe $300 per year Director Suites every year. The NewBlue packages included in them is changed every year and as an incentive to users to buy them. So it is possible say if prices stay the same that in 10 years then $300 x 10 years = $3000 spent for software to edit videos instead of a one time charge of $100 for PDR17. Those who purchased the previous DS deserve to have and use the package.

The Cyberlink Products/Plug-in & Effects Pack webpage list that pack at a higher price than the link I supplied in my initial response. You can upgrade to the subscription model of PDR17 and use that pack according to the comparison link.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
"Older", as in using PDR for a long time. I started with PDR7, which was a different kettle of fish.

Digging around, I've found that PDR11 Ultimate had the NewBlue Motion, Art & Paint Effects included - https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29987.page#post_box_164370 - with PDR12, something went wrong with my installation soI ended up purchasing those three FX packs to correct the issue.

One thing you could try with the Quake effect is to resize your video beyond the bounds of the screen before applying it.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Resizing example...

In the video, the Quake effect is keyframed from 0 - 200. The first example is not resized. The second is.

Cheers - Tony
GDColon [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's really clever! I'm going to try doing that. Thanks!