Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 17 Ultra cant play my H.265 videos.
SkyWingNZ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2018 05:43 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have windows 10 64 bit i7 6700k and evgA GTX 1070SC. My pc and software are all up to date.

I have a Blackvue 900s 2-CH dash cam which records in H.265 codec. Windows Movie Maker can easily play these videos but PD 17 cant. What gives?! 900s records in 4k 25mb/sec front cam and 10mb/s rear cam in extreme mode.

Why does PD advertise it can import play and export in H.265 when it cant?! I import my videos which are 1 minute clips but when I play the videos in PD all I get is a black screen no sound. I produce the raw files to any video format and all i get is a music audio file after producing.

I may seek a refund 30day satisfaction money back guarantee. I upgraded from pd16 paid nz$105 for something that cant play h.265 videos from my pc. Thanks ^_^.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty playing H.265 videos. PD17 is certainly able to import and produce H.265 clips, so the goal is to quickly figure out what's going on with your system. It sounds like there's a missing or misconfigured codec.

Can you please refer to the Read Me post at the top of the PD17 forum and post the results of the DxDiag test? That will give us volunteers the details on how your system is configured. Please also post the version number of PD17 as the instructions state.

It would also be great if you could upload a sample dashcam clip to GoogleDrive, DropBox, OneDrive (or the like) and post the link here. Once a clip is accessible, we can glean the details and figure out how to get everything working properly on your machine so you can edit your dashcam videos.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
sgluke [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 25, 2014 11:53 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty playing H.265 videos. PD17 is certainly able to import and produce H.265 clips, so the goal is to quickly figure out what's going on with your system. It sounds like there's a missing or misconfigured codec.

Can you please refer to the Read Me post at the top of the PD17 forum and post the results of the DxDiag test? That will give us volunteers the details on how your system is configured. Please also post the version number of PD17 as the instructions state.

It would also be great if you could upload a sample dashcam clip to GoogleDrive, DropBox, OneDrive (or the like) and post the link here. Once a clip is accessible, we can glean the details and figure out how to get everything working properly on your machine so you can edit your dashcam videos.

I am having the same issue. Has the problem been figured out? The whole reason I bought the latest version (PD17) was to edit my 4k dashcam videos. The videos play in every single program without issue. But I cannot edit with PD17.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am having the same issue. Has the problem been figured out? The whole reason I bought the latest version (PD17) was to edit my 4k dashcam videos. The videos play in every single program without issue. But I cannot edit with PD17.

OP never responded, so nobody knows what his/her/their problem was.

You quoted my response when posting, but you didn't include any of the info I spelled out that's needed to figure out what's going on with your computer. I'm afraid we can't help much unless you provide those specifics.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

sgluke [Avatar]
[Post New]

OP never responded, so nobody knows what his/her/their problem was.

You quoted my response when posting, but you didn't include any of the info I spelled out that's needed to figure out what's going on with your computer. I'm afraid we can't help much unless you provide those specifics.

Really appreicate you taking the time to look at this.

The DropBox link to the 3 second video is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9anijzf18gfb4ga/3secvid.mp4?dl=0

The DxDiag Txt File is at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec4cbe56clyqoaf/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

PDR Version Number is: 17.0.2314.1

If I missed something please let me know.
Thanks again. Really appreciate it.
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for all the info.

The DxDiag shows you have the current driver for your GTX 1070 and nothing else jumps out at me, although your system has had a bunch of program crashes (the most recent 10 are shown at the end of the file), and that implies some possible system issues. You can try using the sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth tools to see if they can find and repair any issues (Google for more info, if needed).

Next I downloaded your clip and tried opening it in PD17, and I get a blank thumbnail and nothing at all when I preview it. I looked at the codec details using MediaInfo, and it seems like a pretty standard H.265 clip. Here's a screenshot of all of everything:

So, the bad news is that your dashcam appears to be using a format that's incompatible with PD's standard codecs.

I used VLC to convert it to H.264, and while it's more than 2x the file size, PD is able to play it, so one workaround would be to use a 3rd party converter (like VLC or Handbrake) to convert your clips before editing them. Please download the converted clip from here to test on your system.

I know that's not ideal but it's late here and I won't be able to do anything else until the morning. Maybe other forum members will be able to give you some different options and ideas for getting this to work.

YouTube/optodata

Bernd1948 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jul 10, 2008 10:18 Messages: 3930 Offline
[Post New]
‎Hi,
interestingly enough, the clip is in ColorDirector.

Hi,
interessanterweise, läuft der Clip im ColorDirector.‎ Gruß Bernd
Technical support:
DE:
https://de.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

optodata
[Post New]
Quote ‎Hi,
interestingly enough, the clip is in ColorDirector.
Hi,
interessanterweise, läuft der Clip im ColorDirector.‎

Fascinating! I can also open it in ColorDirector 7 and even in PhotoDirector 10, but AudioDirector 9 reports that the clip is broken.

My suggestion would be to report this as a bug to Cyberlink here. Please copy and paste the URL of this thread when you request support, and then paste the CS ticket # back here to close the loop. In the meantime, it looks like converting the clip would be the best way to go unless someone else can figure out why PD doesn't accept it.

YouTube/optodata

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Well spotted Bernd1948 -

All of the above confirmed here with sgluke's 3 second video clip.

PDR - black preview & no audio
CDR - correct import & playback
ADR - reports as broken
PhD - correct import & playback

MediaInfo shows nothing outrageous, except maybe 30.33fps (???).

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2019 13:34

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
sgluke [Avatar]
[Post New]

Fascinating! I can also open it in ColorDirector 7 and even in PhotoDirector 10, but AudioDirector 9 reports that the clip is broken.

My suggestion would be to report this as a bug to Cyberlink here. Please copy and paste the URL of this thread when you request support, and then paste the CS ticket # back here to close the loop. In the meantime, it looks like converting the clip would be the best way to go unless someone else can figure out why PD doesn't accept it.

Appreciate you guys taking a look at it. I will update my dashcam to use H.264 and hope PDR supports H.265 down the road. The reason we are using H.265 is the wireless speed transfer/viewing is so much quicker from car to car. H.264 is not bad, but thier is a 1/3 noticable diffrence. When transferring hours of footage it adds up.

I did do a ticket:. The ticket ID is: CS001977405

Again, really appreicate your time.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Appreciate you guys taking a look at it. I will update my dashcam to use H.264 and hope PDR supports H.265 down the road. The reason we are using H.265 is the wireless speed transfer/viewing is so much quicker from car to car. H.264 is not bad, but thier is a 1/3 noticable diffrence. When transferring hours of footage it adds up.

I did do a ticket:. The ticket ID is: CS001977405

Again, really appreicate your time.

Just to be clear, PD has supported H.265 for years, but there's something about the specific codec that your dashcam uses to encode to H.265 that PD doesn't accept. If car-car transfer speed is the most important issue, you can still record in H.265 and then convert any clips you want to edit later, but maybe using H.264 throughout is faster overall.

Hopefully your support request will get this issue resolved in a future PD update. Thanks for submitting it

YouTube/optodata

sgluke [Avatar]
[Post New]

Just to be clear, PD has supported H.265 for years, but there's something about the specific codec that your dashcam uses to encode to H.265 that PD doesn't accept. If car-car transfer speed is the most important issue, you can still record in H.265 and then convert any clips you want to edit later, but maybe using H.264 throughout is faster overall.

Hopefully your support request will get this issue resolved in a future PD update. Thanks for submitting it

Kind of confused. I downloaded Movavi and 2 other editors so far. All import and edit the same 4k H.265 video from the dashcam. Hopefully the next version of PDR will be more versatile becuase I really like the layout. Not to sure what to do at this point but hope there will be a patch in the near future. I sent tech support the same info I included here and the response was so far in left field even I knew they were clueless. Not trying to be demeaning, but it was obvious you guys care a whole lot more then they do. Thanks again for your time and take care.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Kind of confused. I downloaded Movavi and 2 other editors so far. All import and edit the same 4k H.265 video from the dashcam.
... Not to sure what to do at this point but hope there will be a patch in the near future....

You aren't doing anything wrong, and PD17 should be able to work with your dashcam clips encoded in either H.264 or H.265. PD is part of a 4 app editing suite, and two of the other apps can open your dashcam clip properly, while PD and 1 other app can't, so it seems like there's a glitch in PD and the other app.

I imagine that PD will get a patch that will allow it to read your H.265 clips, but I can't tell you how long that might take. The simplest way to deal with this while you're waiting is to set your dashcam to record using H.264 and then everything should work. Once the PD patch comes out, you can switch to H.265 again.

YouTube/optodata

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Kind of confused. I downloaded Movavi and 2 other editors so far. All import and edit the same 4k H.265 video from the dashcam. Hopefully the next version of PDR will be more versatile becuase I really like the layout. Not to sure what to do at this point but hope there will be a patch in the near future. I sent tech support the same info I included here and the response was so far in left field even I knew they were clueless. Not trying to be demeaning, but it was obvious you guys care a whole lot more then they do. Thanks again for your time and take care.

We passed on this thread and ticket directly to CyberLink yesterday, and recevied info that their RD has it (the video) and are fixing the issue. It should be available in a beta patch soon and the next patch update release.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

This should now be fixed if you apply the new beta patch found here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78263.page

Please note that you may need to rename the video file if you imported it previously for it to work. This is if PowerDirector's media cache is not cleared when reopening PowerDirector.

Cheers
PowerDirector

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do