Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does PowerDirector 17 support horizontal scroll with the Logitech MX Master 2s?
Cody45 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 04, 2018 20:31 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there, I'm thinking about upgrading to PowerDirector 17 because I'm using 14, which is pretty old at this point.

But I would like to know if the new version supports the horizontal scroll wheel, PowerDirector 14 doesn't seem to; which is unfortunate because I find it to be very helpful with video editing.

Thanks for any info
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried using Logitech's SetPoint Manager to set the app-specific roles for your controls? I don't have a horizontal scroll wheel mouse so your settings will be different than my screen capture, but you can try adding PD14 and see if you can use the H wheel for anything useful:

Hopefully, someone who does have a similar mouse and PD17 will post if there's any native support built in.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
My Microsoft 3500 has a scroll wheel.
Without changing anything...
PD12- scrolls up and down.
PD14- scrolls up and down.
PD17- scrolls left and right. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My Microsoft 3500 has a scroll wheel.
Without changing anything...
PD12- scrolls up and down.
PD14- scrolls up and down.
PD17- scrolls left and right.

Ha I hadn't noticed that! In PD17, the wheel scrolls vertically in the library or FX rooms when there's too much content to fit in a single window, but on the timeline it does scroll horizontally. That's a nice improvement

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
PD17 - scrolls left and right only on the timeline with the scroll bar only if the line with the scroll bar is first clicked on mine.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote PD17 - scrolls left and right only on the timeline with the scroll bar only if the line with the scroll bar is first clicked on mine.

Mine scrolls horizontally without clicking first as long as the cursor is hovering over the timeline and there's already content there (meaning whenever a horizontal scroll bar is present). It also scrolls vertically when hovering over a library/room as long as a vertical scroll bar is present, even without clicking.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has a horizontal scroll wheel to see what (if anything) happens in PD17 when that's used.

YouTube/optodata

Cody45 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Have you tried using Logitech's SetPoint Manager to set the app-specific roles for your controls? I don't have a horizontal scroll wheel mouse so your settings will be different than my screen capture, but you can try adding PD14 and see if you can use the H wheel for anything useful:

Hopefully, someone who does have a similar mouse and PD17 will post if there's any native support built in.

I haven't tried that software, but I have tried Logitech's 'Options' software, which they recommend for this mouse. Unfortunately it dosn't do anything to set it specifically to PD14.

It seems I may have to take the plunge and upgrade to find out. I do like the software though so it'll probably be worth it either way.
So I'll check back in a bit when I've messed with it.
Cody45 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nope no good, the horizontal scroll wheel doesn't scroll the timeline in PD17, it just does nothing for some reason.

I guess I can just hope that they implement that functionality one day.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Nope no good, the horizontal scroll wheel doesn't scroll the timeline in PD17, it just does nothing for some reason.

Two of us can scroll horizontally so it’s perhaps mouse-specific.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Nope no good, the horizontal scroll wheel doesn't scroll the timeline in PD17, it just does nothing for some reason.

Right, it's the vertical wheel that scrolls the timeline in PD17.

I'm pretty sure that apps have to be built with the internal code to utilize a second mouse wheel, and since they're kind of a niche item, it may be hard to find many programs that support them.
milos1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Slovakia Joined: Sep 06, 2011 15:49 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]

Try first to click (left click) anywhere in the video tracks area and then scroll with vertical scroll. It causes (in my PD16) the time line to scroll horizontally (mouse Logitech M310, G700)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 09. 2018 07:40