Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Black Box in Recorded Screen
skellys1031 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 03, 2018 11:24 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone had issues with/solutions to a black box covering the lower right screen that appears in every recording?

This appears in every attempt and has the same ratio of the screen covered regardles of caputured image size.
It is always there, regardles of:

• The source material (either personal video or downloaded material). Even if I simply record the static screen, it still has the box.
    * The monitor I record of of.
    * The placement of the source material I record,
    * The type of recording choice in Screen Recorder (i.e., Full Screen, Lock to app, custom, etc.).

Submitted a ticket but hoping somebody here might have an insight.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It would help if you attached a screenshot, or uploaded a sample recording to YouTube and posted the link. You can paste the YT link using this box from the forum's compose message page:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It would help if you attached a screenshot, or uploaded a sample recording to YouTube and posted the link. You can paste the YT link using this box from the forum's compose message page:

Absolutely!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17w4F4MlXflKQGep9raBKVhMRanKqa1GX
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Fascinating! I have no idea what's going on as I've never seen anything like that. Can you click on the "?" on the top right and post what version this is?

You've tried many different settings, but let's see what happens if you 1) lower the video resolution on the main app screen; and 2) change the Enable hardware encoding setting on the Preferences | Video tab.

It may help to see the DxDiag test results. Please see the Read Me post at the top of this forum for instructions.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

optodata
[Post New]
Also, what happens if you click on the Open Preview button at the top right? Does the black box appear in the preview screen, too?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 03. 2018 21:52

YouTube/optodata

skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
For part 2, yes on the preview. There is the box. When I adjust the framing, it remains constant.

When I adjust the resolution and framerate, it remains the same as well.

Here is the DXDiag link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K9tqSrjzlHxBG9Tjh9_8b1Ej3IU5nkiq
skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Fascinating! I have no idea what's going on as I've never seen anything like that. Can you click on the "?" on the top right and post what version this is?

You've tried many different settings, but let's see what happens if you 1) lower the video resolution on the main app screen; and 2) change the Enable hardware encoding setting on the Preferences | Video tab.

It may help to see the DxDiag test results. Please see the Read Me post at the top of this forum for instructions.

For the Enable hardware encoding and preferences, this is in PowerDirector?
optodata
[Post New]
For the Enable hardware encoding and preferences, this is in PowerDirector?

No. From the gear icon of Screen Recorder:

Also, what version do you have?

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
Quote ... Here is the DXDiag link ...

The crash log at the end shows that you're using PowerDirector9 (from around 2010). Is that correct?
skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]

The crash log at the end shows that you're using PowerDirector9 (from around 2010). Is that correct?

Yes, I had 9 on the system. I removed it completely, restarted the system, and still have the same black box. Keep eliminating potential issues!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2018 20:48

skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]

No. From the gear icon of Screen Recorder:

Also, what version do you have?

Unchecked the "Enable hardware encoding" and restarted the program. Box remains unchecked but the infamous black box continues to haunt the party. . .
skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Fascinating! I have no idea what's going on as I've never seen anything like that. Can you click on the "?" on the top right and post what version this is?

Apologies at missing the question - Verson 17.0.2126.0
skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I've tried disconnecting individual monitors, starting the program in different modes, and still have the same outcome. Any additional ideas?
optodata
[Post New]

That's the current subscription version of PD17. If you have the stand-alone version, there is one released patch and one beta patch you should install to see if either makes any difference.

Also, I actually was originally asking about your screen recorder version. Can you check and post that?

Since you've already removed PD9, I'm wondering if there might be a conflict with another older version of the program. Make a full system backup, then uninstall any/all other versions up to PD14 or so, and then run the PD17 installer again (which will automatically reinstall Screen Recorder).

That will at least rule out or confirm a conflict. If that wasn't the problem and you still want to use the older editors, simply restore your system from your backup. If you don't have any other versions installed, try uninstalling/reinstalling PD17.

Finally, if the issue persists even after a PD17 reinstall, I think it would be time to contact Cyberlink Tech Support and get them involved.

One last request: Something happened to the forum formatting in your 5th post. If you went back and edited it, see if you can clear up the issue by checking the content in between the first "[quote]" and "[/quote]" markers. There may be a missing or duplicate tag right after you say "Keep eliminating potential issues!"

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 04. 2018 12:36

YouTube/optodata

skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's the current subscription version of PD17. If you have the stand-alone version, there is one released patch and one beta patch you should install to see if either makes any difference.

Also, I actually was originally asking about your screen recorder version. Can you check and post that?

Since you've already removed PD9, I'm wondering if there might be a conflict with another older version of the program. Make a full system backup, then uninstall any/all other versions up to PD14 or so, and then run the PD17 installer again (which will automatically reinstall Screen Recorder).

That will at least rule out or confirm a conflict. If that wasn't the problem and you still want to use the older editors, simply restore your system from your backup. If you don't have any other versions installed, try uninstalling/reinstalling PD17.

Finally, if the issue persists even after a PD17 reinstall, I think it would be time to contact Cyberlink Tech Support and get them involved.

One last request: Something happened to the forum formatting in your 5th post. If you went back and edited it, see if you can clear up the issue by checking the content in between the first "[quote]" and "[/quote]" markers. There may be a missing or duplicate tag right after you say "Keep eliminating potential issues!"

The Screen Recorder is 2.1.0.4444

I deleted everything including all additional content packs, and reinstalled. Downloaded the most recent patch (PowerDirector_2126_GM.2.1_Patch_Patch_VDE180925-02) and installed them as well. Still the same. Where can I find the beta patch to install?

I would upgrade to 3 if I thought this would eliminate the box.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2018 14:09

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I am thinking you have your webcam enabled, but you don't have a webcam or it's not set up correctly and you are getting a black box rather than the video signal. Disable the camera selection.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2018 14:18

skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I am thinking you have your webcam enabled, but you don't have a webcam or it's not set up correctly and you are getting a black box rather than the video signal. Disable the camera selection.

I disabled my camera completely and restarted the program. Sadly, same black box. It was certainly worth a shot! Other ideas?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See this post for a workaround that works for me: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77667.page .
optodata
[Post New]
Quote The Screen Recorder is 2.1.0.4444

I deleted everything including all additional content packs, and reinstalled. Downloaded the most recent patch (PowerDirector_2126_GM.2.1_Patch_Patch_VDE180925-02) and installed them as well. Still the same. Where can I find the beta patch to install?

I would upgrade to 3 if I thought this would eliminate the box.

The 2224 beta patch is here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77602.page

YouTube/optodata

skellys1031 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sadly, still no change. May be to the point of relying on tech support. . .

Increasingly tempted to simply upgrade to Screen Recorder 3, but understandably not sure if this will make any difference. Does anyone know if 3 has a significantly different structure or simply more features?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2018 20:47