Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD-16 Audio and Video Out of Sync After Producing Project
ShemShem [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 04, 2017 15:14 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I have a project using PowerDirector 16 that is in sync perfectly during edit playback, just as I want it. It's only after producing to an .mpg production that certain sections are out of sync. I have attempted to adjust the edits to force the sync based on the .mpg production numerous times but that doesn't help. Has anyone in the forum community experienced this issue and, if so, can suggest a possible resolve or work-around to the matter? I appreciate the feedback and time responding back to this inquiry.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are quite a few things you can try to get a better understanding of what might be going on. You should restore your project (or move the clips back to their original places) and try producing to a different format, like WMV or MP4, even if you can't quite find the same resolution and frame rate you've just produced to.

You may also want to make sure you have the most recent version of PD16 (see the important sticky notes at the top of the forum's index page).

In the nearby Read Me thread, there are instructions for running the DxDiag test and attaching the results to your post. That's the easiest way for forum members to see if there's anything obviously out of date or not working properly with your system.

If there is a single place where the audio clearly goes out of sync, is there a corresponding glitch in the video? Is there anything on your project's timline at that location that might somehow cause the disruption? Hint, move that section to the start or end of the timeline and produce it again. You may wan to save the project as another name while you do this testing so your original project is unaffected.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ShemShem [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There are quite a few things you can try to get a better understanding of what might be going on. You should restore your project (or move the clips back to their original places) and try producing to a different format, like WMV or MP4, even if you can't quite find the same resolution and frame rate you've just produced to.

You may also want to make sure you have the most recent version of PD16 (see the important sticky notes at the top of the forum's index page).

In the nearby Read Me thread, there are instructions for running the DxDiag test and attaching the results to your post. That's the easiest way for forum members to see if there's anything obviously out of date or not working properly with your system.

If there is a single place where the audio clearly goes out of sync, is there a corresponding glitch in the video? Is there anything on your project's timline at that location that might somehow cause the disruption? Hint, move that section to the start or end of the timeline and produce it again. You may wan to save the project as another name while you do this testing so your original project is unaffected.

Thanks for responding back. I do have the latest updates for my PD16. I tried producing as an MP4 with the exact same results. The locations where it goes out of sync are the same locations each and every time and not randomn locations as I believe you are suggesting. At those locations the audio and video go out of sync from the playback in Edit contains only the video and (music track) audio. I ran the DxDiag test before on a separate issue (now resolved) and a tech at Cyberlink confirmed there's no issues with my system.

I guess what I'm a little confused at is if the PD16 is supposed to ideally do it's thing, shouldn't it produce the Edit playback exactly as I see it? I produced a bunch of projects in the past with PD13 without syncing problems before upgrading to PD16. I guess that's where I'm confused.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... I tried producing as an MP4 with the exact same results. The locations where it goes out of sync are the same locations each and every time and not randomn locations as I believe you are suggesting.
I guess what I'm a little confused at is if the PD16 is supposed to ideally do it's thing, shouldn't it produce the Edit playback exactly as I see it?

Yes, of course, which is why I wanted you to check all of those things. Thanks for doing that, by the way!

So the good news is that the problem is clearly repeatable, it's not affected by producing to a different profile, and you know exactly when and where in your timeline the out-of-sync problem occurs.

Since the problem occurs with a video track and a separate audio (music) track, I'm going to assume that the audio track is an MP3, and if so, I'm going to ask you to convert it to a .wav file and replace the MP3 version with that one. Please see this post and follow the steps I spelled out there.

If I'm right about the MP3 file, chances are very high that this will permanenetly solve your issue. Let us know how it goes!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2018 10:18

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

ShemShem [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, of course, which is why I wanted you to check all of those things. Thanks for doing that, by the way!

So the good news is that the problem is clearly repeatable, it's not affected by producing to a different profile, and you know exactly when and where in your timeline the out-of-sync problem occurs.

Since the problem occurs with a video track and a separate audio (music) track, I'm going to assume that the audio track is an MP3, and if so, I'm going to ask you to convert it to a .wav file and replace the MP3 version with that one. Please see this post and follow the steps I spelled out there.

If I'm right about the MP3 file, chances are very high that this will permanenetly solve your issue. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the quick responses and insight. I will attempt this tonight when I'm back in front of my home PC and the project. With fingers crossed, I will keep you posted.
ShemShem [Avatar]
[Post New]

Quick question, I'm attempting to convert my .mp3 audio (music) track to .wav. Where is this "music notes tab" you mention? I copied the audio tracks to a new timeline below the original and now I can't find the ability to convert that timeline track to .wav.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Quick question, I'm attempting to convert my .mp3 audio (music) track to .wav. Where is this "music notes tab" you mention? I copied the audio tracks to a new timeline below the original and now I can't find the ability to convert that timeline track to .wav.

YouTube/optodata

ShemShem [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, I did manage to find this before your response and succeeded in converting the mp3 audio track to .wav. 512 Kbps is sufficient? Also, what are your recommendations for producing? Do you suggest mpeg-2, HEVC, AVC? Higher resolution? I intend on playing this project on a 40" TV. Thanks again for all your time and assistance. I greatly appreciate it.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, I did manage to find this before your response and succeeded in converting the mp3 audio track to .wav. 512 Kbps is sufficient? Also, what are your recommendations for producing? Do you suggest mpeg-2, HEVC, AVC? Higher resolution? I intend on playing this project on a 40" TV. Thanks again for all your time and assistance. I greatly appreciate it.

I hope the .wav files solve your sync problem after producing.

Generally speaking, you should match your produce profile to your source clips. For example if your clips are 1080/50p (or 60p), choose AVC (H.264) MP4 with the same resolution and frame rate. If you're using 4k/25p (or30p), You can use AVC or HEVC (either as MP4s) depending on your computer's hardware and graphics card.

There's no point in producing a 1080p clip at 4k, because you only have 1k worth of video data that PD will stretch to fill all the other pixels. Similarly, don't waste the quality of a 4k clip by producing to 1080 unless your TV can't display 4k, or if you need a much smaller files size.

MPG and MPEG2 are very low resolution codecs, mostly suited for old-style analog tape camcorders and DVDs, not Blu-Ray discs or HD/4k TVs/monitors.

I don't know if PD16 has this, but in PD17, the easiest way would be to simply click Profile Analyzer and use the Best Matched Format:

Take a look at the first part of this video on SVRT to see a different way to find the best format.

YouTube/optodata

ShemShem [Avatar]
[Post New]

I hope the .wav files solve your sync problem after producing.

Generally speaking, you should match your produce profile to your source clips. For example if your clips are 1080/50p (or 60p), choose AVC (H.264) MP4 with the same resolution and frame rate. If you're using 4k/25p (or30p), You can use AVC or HEVC (either as MP4s) depending on your computer's hardware and graphics card.

There's no point in producing a 1080p clip at 4k, because you only have 1k worth of video data that PD will stretch to fill all the other pixels. Similarly, don't waste the quality of a 4k clip by producing to 1080 unless your TV can't display 4k, or if you need a much smaller files size.

MPG and MPEG2 are very low resolution codecs, mostly suited for old-style analog tape camcorders and DVDs, not Blu-Ray discs or HD/4k TVs/monitors.

I don't know if PD16 has this, but in PD17, the easiest way would be to simply click Profile Analyzer and use the Best Matched Format:

Take a look at the first part of this video on SVRT to see a different way to find the best format.

Thanks again for all your input and time to my inquiries. Yes, converting to .wav did help and made my audio/video syncing more consistent. I just had to adjust certain individual cuts to now line up properly which was no big deal. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything but I found the syncing even easier and more consistent once produced by removing the Surround Sound option during Produce, which I was previously using. In any event, all seems good for now and I do appreciate your fast and helpful insight to resolving these frustrating issues.