Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CyberLink PowerDirector 17 does not work with Nvidia Hardware Acceleration.
Cartof [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 11, 2017 06:12 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
So long story short i had the same problems everyone had in the PD16 thread:

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77357.page

Seeing that the PD16 nvenc problem was solved in the 3424 patch (for PD16):

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77562.page

I went ahead and upgraded my PD16 to PD17 Ultimate just to find out that NVENC still does not work on the PD17 branch..

I already have a support ticket about my (the same as others) problem - ticket id CS001947653 !

To me it is incredible how weak the Q&A and development of CyberLink got with the "new" product called PowerDirector 17. To sell a product that cannot benefit from its main advantage - the rendering speed with hardware encoding - and unable to patch it weeks after launch it is really unbelievable from a customer standpoint.

I want to mention that i am not captive to CL's software - i am perfectly capable of rendering (with NVENC) in Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate my movies but at a slower speed.

So what i should do? Wait for one more week and refund the PD17 if the nvenc issue is not solved ? Or should i just go ahead and do it because CL team cannot port the PD16 fix to PD17 ?

Thanks.
[Post New]
I want to mention that i am not captive to CL's software - i am perfectly capable of rendering (with NVENC) in Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate my movies but at a slower speed.

So what i should do? Wait for one more week and refund the PD17 if the nvenc issue is not solved ? Or should i just go ahead and do it because CL team cannot port the PD16 fix to PD17 ?

Thanks.

You didn't mention if you have a laptop with dual GPU Intel/nVidia.
You should NOT buy a gaming laptop and assume that it will work for video editing. The laptops have two video chips inside, one Intel and the other nVidia, tailored to switch from one to another during 3D gaming. The "glue" software between them doesn't know about NVENC encoder and how to properly switch in that case.

Also, the Pinacle Studio, in the past, did not properly use NVENC for rendering. That's why it was slower.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 28. 2018 12:40

Cartof [Avatar]
[Post New]
You didn't mention if you have a laptop with dual GPU Intel/nVidia.
You should NOT buy a gaming laptop and assume that it will work for video editing.

It's a desktop with Ryzen7 2700x, 16 gb ram, ssds and a gtx1080.
Also, the Pinacle Studio, in the past, did not properly use NVENC for rendering. That's why it was slower.

I am impressed of how fast it renders now. Much faster than Corel VideoStudio and much faster than Vegas Pro 15/16.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Go back to the nvidia driver 411.x should resolve your problem. The real issue stems from the latest nVidia drivers. It is my undersatnding that software developers knew this change was coming back in Feb. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Cartof [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Go back to the nvidia driver 411.x should resolve your problem.

This workaround is not for me. I like to keep my drivers updated - especially graphics drivers with improvements for games and other stuff.
The real issue stems from the latest nVidia drivers. It is my undersatnding that software developers knew this change was coming back in Feb.

Well, anyways i really think i am gonna ask for a refund (second time i fooled myself that i can use CyberLink's software) the next days. I have little hope they can fix their software in good time.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This workaround is not for me. I like to keep my drivers updated - especially graphics drivers with improvements for games and other stuff.
Although I understand your point, it's your choice. I seriously doubt the new drivers will be adding much to your game play. This nVidia driver change has affect ALL Video codecs that I know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2018 19:07

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink has just released the beta patch for PD17.

If you have the stand-alone version (not the subscription version) you can download and apply it. There's a long list of issues it addresses, including the ones causing you the most grief. Hopefully this will get you running with the 416.xx drivers right away.

If you're like me and have the subscription version, it's going to mean waiting a little longer but help is clearly on the way.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Westcoast604 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2017 16:37 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Cyberlink has just released the beta patch for PD17.

If you have the stand-alone version (not the subscription version) you can download and apply it. There's a long list of issues it addresses, including the ones causing you the most grief. Hopefully this will get you running with the 416.xx drivers right away.

If you're like me and have the subscription version, it's going to mean waiting a little longer but help is clearly on the way.

I just updated my subscription 365 software and the change log mentioned it fixed various issues with Nvidia Carda for drivers 416 and higher, yet my MSI with the Optima Intel/Nvidia GPU configuration will still not work. Even if I force my Laptop to always use nvidia it will swith to intel when the program starts. So frustrating, got all excited for nothing
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just updated my subscription 365 software and the change log mentioned it fixed various issues with Nvidia Carda for drivers 416 and higher, yet my MSI with the Optima Intel/Nvidia GPU configuration will still not work. Even if I force my Laptop to always use nvidia it will swith to intel when the program starts. So frustrating, got all excited for nothing

Having problems with Optimus is a separate issue. You can search the forum for more details, and here is the most recent thread.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Westcoast604 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2017 16:37 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]

Having problems with Optimus is a separate issue. You can search the forum for more details, and here is the most recent thread.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. It is really sad that Cyberlink continues to not apply coding for the optomus systems. the most advanced powerful laptops from Dell, MSI, AORUS, ASUS etc all use Optimus software to enable powerful dedicated GPU's.

Davinci, premier, and filmora are all coded properly to work. I had this issue with PD 15 and I thought that by 17 Cyberlink would have learned to code their software properly. I have discussed this with Nvidia and this is 100% a cyberlink coding issue.
JohnnyCaps [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 15, 2018 12:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Not an Optimus issue, however, 4 Years later and I'm still having these similar problems with this issue.

Can anyone point me to an under $250 video editing program that can use nVidia graphics cards to accelerate rendering?

Looks like this issue is still waiting for a resolution. I was thinking of upgrading to PD20 but I heard it's slower than PD17. Perhaps PD

Thanks.

Intel i7 930 (circa 2010) with nVidia GTX 1080 no integrated graphics.
Intel i7 9530 (circa 2015) with nVidia RTX 3080Ti, no integrated graphics.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Looks like this issue is still waiting for a resolution. I was thinking of upgrading to PD20 but I heard it's slower than PD17.

All newer versions of PD support NVENC on your RTX3080Ti using the latest nVidia drivers, but PD versions prior to 16 have to use nVidia driver 411.70 and can only support GPU hardware that had been released before it was released. No newer GPU cards are accessable.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2022 16:59