Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDR crashes on entering the Produce Room - workaround fix.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Members,

This is the temporay fix that has been developed and is referred to here.

As the above thread indicates, this patch is a temporary solution and a full resolution is still being developed. The release notes are as follows:

Workaround Download and Release Notes ==============================
A workaround solution has been found so the users can enter Produce room to produce video, but the option “Hardware Video Encoder” will be disabled when trying to produce a H.265 profile video.

Please follow these steps to replace the module.

1. Update PowerDirector to the latest version via the patch download link.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-video-editing-software/patches_en_US.html

Please note that this workaround module is version sensitive.

• PowerDirector 15 v3929

• PowerDirector 16 v3408

• PowerDirector 17 v2126

2. According to your PowerDirector version, download the file PDR.exe from the download links below.

PowerDirector 15:
http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/VDE183408-0005/PDR15%5b15.0.3929%5d%5bx64%5d/PDR.EXE

PowerDirector 16:
Hotfix removed, as latest PowerDirector patch nullifies it. Please see this workaround instead:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=23900

PowerDirector 17:
Hotfix removed, as latest PowerDirector patch nullifies it. Please see this workaround instead: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=23900

3. Browse to the PowerDirector installation folder to find the file “PDR.exe” (no quotes) and rename the file as the backup.

4. Copy the downloaded “PDR.exe” (no quotes) to PowerDirector installation folder and then launch PowerDirector to try again.

Please note that this workaround can let you to enter PowerDirector Produce room to produce video, but the option “Hardware Video Encoder” will be disabled when trying to produce a H.265 profile video.

We are still working on the solution to produce H.265 profile video with Intel Quick Sync.

According to the current information we have available, the issue might only happen on a specific Intel GPU + VGA driver combination.

You may also try to reinstall your Intel VGA driver to version 24.20.100.6194 or below as the possible solution.

Intel VGA driver download page:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27892/-Windows-10-Intel-?product=98909

Notes End ==========================================================
Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Nov 28. 2019 21:07

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

CyberLink would appreciate it if users affected by this issue could feedback on their findings when they re-install the Intel VGA drivers (see below).

The latest briefing is :

=======================================
"Because we are not able to reproduce the issue in our lab, we have remotely checked the issue on several platforms and can reproduce the issue.

According to the investigating result, the problem is suspected to be an issue relating to the Intel VGA driver. We will report the issue to Intel to get more information.

In our testing, we find the issue disappears after a reinstall of the Intel VGA driver, downloaded from the Intel website directly.

It doesn't seem to matter if the newly installed VGA driver is a previous version or the current installed version or the latest version.

We would suggest these users to try reinstall their VGA driver and then replace the original module “PDR.exe” back, so they can regain the use of the Intel GPU to encode HEVC profile video again.

Intel driver download page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers "
=========================================

So, if any members can try this it would be a useful confirmation of the issue and would help isolate the root cause.

Please reply to the patch topic here so that replies can be collated in one place.

Thank you
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2018 07:16

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
John Kerwin [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Lakewood Ranch, Florida USA Joined: Aug 17, 2016 14:47 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Members,

This is the temporay fix that has been developed and is referred to here.

As the above thread indicates, this patch is a temporary solution and a full resolution is still being developed. The release notes are as follows:

Workaround Download and Release Notes ==============================
A workaround solution has been found so the users can enter Produce room to produce video, but the option “Hardware Video Encoder” will be disabled when trying to produce a H.265 profile video.

Please follow these steps to replace the module.

1. Update PowerDirector to the latest version via the patch download link.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-video-editing-software/patches_en_US.html

Please note that this workaround module is version sensitive.

• PowerDirector 15 v3929

• PowerDirector 16 v3408

• PowerDirector 17 v2126

2. According to your PowerDirector version, download the file PDR.exe from the download links below.

PowerDirector 15:
http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/Temp/VDE183408-0005/PDR15%5b15.0.3929%5d%5bx64%5d/PDR.EXE

PowerDirector 16:
[Hotfix link removed]

PowerDirector 17:
[Hotfix link removed]

3. Browse to the PowerDirector installation folder to find the file “PDR.exe” (no quotes) and rename the file as the backup.

4. Copy the downloaded “PDR.exe” (no quotes) to PowerDirector installation folder and then launch PowerDirector to try again.

Please note that this workaround can let you to enter PowerDirector Produce room to produce video, but the option “Hardware Video Encoder” will be disabled when trying to produce a H.265 profile video.

We are still working on the solution to produce H.265 profile video with Intel Quick Sync.

According to the current information we have available, the issue might only happen on a specific Intel GPU + VGA driver combination.

You may also try to reinstall your Intel VGA driver to version 24.20.100.6194 or below as the possible solution.

Intel VGA driver download page:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27892/-Windows-10-Intel-?product=98909

Notes End ==========================================================
Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I was having the same problem using Power Director 15 build 3929. I found that is was not ONLY entering the "Produce" room, but my application would also crash if I hit "Create Disk" to create and burn a disk.
My computer is an HP Model 750-567cb with an Intel I7-7700 CPU at 3.6 GHz
I did a complete PD15 unistall and reinstall, and brought it to the current build (3929) but it didn't help.
I did an SFC /scannow, and did not find any integrity violations.
I ran DxDiag and found no problems, but updated some drivers anyway....
I updated the Intel HD Graphics 630 Driver and the Intel Audio Display Driver.
DxDiag now shows no problems, but notes that "IntcDAud.sys is not digitally signed" (Intel Audio Display Driver)
Finally I ran across the Temporary Hot Fix in the PD17 forum, and saw it could be applied to PD15.
I installed the Hot Fix and it worked with the EXCEPTION, that I cannot even touch the "H.265 HEVC" button, or PD15 crashes.
I captured the Windows 10 application error log caused by hitting the H.265 button AFTER installing the Hot Fix and attached it.
I have also attached a Windows error log for the crash caused in build 3929 when I hit the "produce" button before the hotfix.
I hope it will help in your investigation.
Regards, John Kerwin, Lakewood Ranch, Florida, USA

1/6/2019 - Update to my problems with Power Director 15 Crashing as above.
As noted, I installed the Hot Fix and have been living with a few anomalies. Finally I saw the note in the forum that suggested that I roll back my Intel Display driver to version 24.20.100.6194. (My driver was at 24.20.100.6344). I did the rollback of the driver and PD15 operated normally without any apparent problems or anomalies. It occurred to me that I was still operating with the Hot Fix version of the PDR.exe file. I just reversed the hotfix by putting my original PDR.exe back in use (build 15.0.3929.0). Everything seems to operate like it did PRIOR to this whole crash started.
Thanks for everyone's help and support on resolving the issues. Please pass along to other PD15 users.
John Kerwin, Lakewood Ranch, FL
 Filename
PD15 build 4623 error from HEVC button.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Windows 10 application error log created by the crash of PD15 build 4623 following my selection of the H.265 HEVC button while in the production room. This was all AFTER applying the HOTFIX.
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
507 time(s)
 Filename
Power Director 15 Crash error 1.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Windows 10 Application error log created by the crash of PD15 build 3929 following my attempt to "Produce" a video. This was all PRIOR to applying the HOTFIX.
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
507 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 06. 2019 16:29

[Post New]
Okay, just went through the complete instructions on replacing the PDR.exe file and it did'nt help. What I did find that works was reinstalling the Intel VGA driver to version 24.20.100.6194. It appears that the newer versions are bad. Hope this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2018 08:29

[Post New]
Quote Okay, just went through the complete instructions on replacing the PDR.exe file and it did'nt help. What I did find that works was reinstalling the Intel VGA driver to version 24.20.100.6194. It appears that the newer versions are bad. Hope this helps.

Reinstalling PDR didn't work. Installing the patch didn't work. The workaround didn't work.

I just reinstalled the Intel HD Graphics 530 driver 25.20.100.6373 with success.

Thanks, Hambone.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16. 2018 12:56

Temper [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2018 17:30 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I run PD 16 on 3 rigs, and they have all performed perfectly until today. Rig 1 crashed when we went to produce something today, after saying that the PC needed to update PD16. We packed everything up to the cybercloud, and tried on rig 2, which also crashed when we tried to produce. I am on rig 3 now, which I disconnected from the internet so that it wouldn't try to update, but the software crashed anyway when I tried to produce. Just to add to the confusion, the machines all crash PD16 when you try to create disc as well.

I have tried all workarounds on the machines, and have just reinstalled the intel VGA graphics driver on this machine after a complete uninstall. Nothing has worked so far.
The ticket number for this machine is: CS001960831.

Any help would be appreciated as we are on a tight deadline here!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm really sorry to hear that you're in such a bind. Cyberlink Tech Support is likely closed for the weekend and the quickest thing to do would be to follow the Red Me post instructions and upload the DxDiag results form the machine you'd like to get running first. Hopefully there's something there that will help get you going.

If you need a running platform to produce and you're ok with sharing the project/clips, PM me and I can run it for you ASAP.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm really sorry to hear that you're in such a bind.

Cyberlink Tech Support is likely closed for the weekend, and the quickest thing to do would be to follow the Read Me post instructions and upload the DxDiag results from the machine you'd like to get running first. Hopefully there's something in there that will help get you going quickly.

If you need a running platform to produce and you're ok with sharing the project/clips, PM me and I can run it for you ASAP.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Temper [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm really sorry to hear that you're in such a bind.

Cyberlink Tech Support is likely closed for the weekend, and the quickest thing to do would be to follow the Read Me post instructions and upload the DxDiag results from the machine you'd like to get running first. Hopefully there's something in there that will help get you going quickly.

How kind! I've managed to take a bit of the pressure off (delayed the post production.processing), but if I've had no help by Tuesday, I'll be in touch.
Thank you very much.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote How kind! I've managed to take a bit of the pressure off (delayed the post production.processing), but if I've had no help by Tuesday, I'll be in touch.
Thank you very much.

Sounds good. In the mean time, someone here may be able to help directly if you posted the DxDiag results as that would show the system configuration and the exact version of PD16 and the video drivers that are installed.

YouTube/optodata

Temper [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sounds good. In the mean time, someone here may be able to help directly if you posted the DxDiag results as that would show the system configuration and the exact version of PD16 and the video drivers that are installed.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
525 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the details. I know HP tends to want to keep you on their "certified" drivers, but it's hard to believe that the one installed for your HD 4600 is the most recent one - it's from June 2015. You should go to the HP support website and enter the requested info to find and install the latest updates.

For that GPU, the latest Intel release is only two months old. You may want to try the previous version if you still get the Produce room crash.

Your nVidia driver is in better shape, but it's almost 6 months old. Version 417.22 was released today! (I'm actually going to install it right now )

Since the Produce room crash is specifically related to video drivers, try the HP site first and see what it can do for you. If the crash still happens, go with the newer GPU drivers I've linked to. Hopefully that will get you running again shortly.

YouTube/optodata

Temper [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the details. I know HP tends to want to keep you on their "certified" drivers, but it's hard to believe that the one installed for your HD 4600 is the most recent one - it's from June 2015. You should go to the HP support website and enter the requested info to find and install the latest updates.

For that GPU, the latest Intel release is only two months old. You may want to try the previous version if you still get the Produce room crash.

Your nVidia driver is in better shape, but it's almost 6 months old. Version 417.22 was released today! (I'm actually going to install it right now )

Since the Produce room crash is specifically related to video drivers, try the HP site first and see what it can do for you. If the crash still happens, go with the newer GPU drivers I've linked to. Hopefully that will get you running again shortly.

You are very kind - thank you so much for your support! My ticket has so far just got a response asking me to resend the information that was already included in the ticket, so I've lost confidence with them.
I've just bought a full editing suite from elsewhere that we will all learn to operate as we need to ensure that we are able to meet our deadlines. I will persevere with the PowerDirector16 if your suggestions work, but my confidence in Cyberlink has diminished.

Much respect to you though.

Here goes with the fixes you suggested!
Temper [Avatar]
[Post New]

You are very kind - thank you so much for your support! My ticket has so far just got a response asking me to resend the information that was already included in the ticket, so I've lost confidence with them.
I've just bought a full editing suite from elsewhere that we will all learn to operate as we need to ensure that we are able to meet our deadlines. I will persevere with the PowerDirector16 if your suggestions work, but my confidence in Cyberlink has diminished.

Much respect to you though.

Here goes with the fixes you suggested!

The intel driver that is listed on the Hp support website is an Aug2015 update. When I tried to use it, this error message was displayed.
[Thumb - driver.png]
 Filename
driver.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
660 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Here's how to get around HP's limitation.

Once you install the latest Intel driver this way, you'll be free of the limitation that is forcing you to use drivers that are 3 years behind the times.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2018 11:49

YouTube/optodata

Temper [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Here's how to get around HP's limitation.

Once you install the latest Intel driver this way, you'll be free of the limitation that is forcing you to use drivers that are 3 years behind the times.

Once again, many thanks for your patience. I have tried the steps you outlined above before, with no success. But I have tried again!

The download never works - the driver fails and so reverts to the original driver - I've added a screenshot of the aftermath of another attempt.

I have also spent this afternoon doing a complete reinstall of this machine. Which of course led to a complete reinstall of PowerDirector 16. Unfortunately, this hasn't solved the issues either.
[Thumb - 6194.png]
 Filename
6194.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
403 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Can you try running the Intel Driver and Support Assistant from this page? Their app may do a better job of detecting the appropriate driver for your hardware.

If that doesn't work, open Windows Device Manager and try disabling your HD 4600 under the Display adapters heading. You'll have to reboot, but PD will no longer see or try to use that GPU, which may be enough to avoid the crash.

Make sure you have the latest nVidia driver as shown in my other post, too.

YouTube/optodata

Temper [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Can you try running the Intel Driver and Support Assistant from this page? Their app may do a better job of detecting the appropriate driver for your hardware.

If that doesn't work, open Windows Device Manager and try disabling your HD 4600 under the Display adapters heading. You'll have to reboot, but PD will no longer see or try to use that GPU, which may be enough to avoid the crash.

Make sure you have the latest nVidia driver as shown in my other post, too.

Thank you again.

I've followed these steps, and finally, after much sweat, blood and tears, the PD managed to produce one movie, albeit in a format that I don't generally use. If I clicked on either of the AVC formats, the program crashed. But grateful to be able to continue some production, even if not entirely satisfied with the end product.

However, after this, the pc performed the Blue Screen of Death scenario - with a message about system thread exception not handled. I have had to revert the drivers back to the HP spec to enable my rig to run without instability.

Which means PD is now crashing when I try to touch any of the produce or create disc tabs again.

And so the horror continues. . .
optodata
[Post New]
How frustrating!

I can't tell which of the three steps I suggested you went through to get PD to work temporarily, but without fighting the Intel driver anymore, can you get PD to the produce screen with the HD 4600 disabled? If not, can you try disabling the nVidia GeForce GT 740M and see if that works? Basically, only enable one of them now, not both.

You should also make sure you have the Hardware Acceleration options turned off under the project's Preferences menu, and when you produce, uncheck the Fast video render technology: box so the CPU will do all the work. You should be able to produce to H.264/AVC this way.

YouTube/optodata

Topo8 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2018 00:18 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm very disapointed with PDR 16, less than a year I got PDR16 it stoped working. An there is no official update to fix this issue.
I just downloaded free Shotcut and it works with out issues, that save me for the holydays but wonder if we are going to get a fix or should I start considering other editors.