Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
srt files not being displayed
Paul42 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2009 04:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having no joy in having PowerDVD 18 display the subtitles in my srt files. (I had this problem with PDVD 17, but didn't get around to sorting it out.) The files quite happily display when I use VLC Media Player, so the file names, their location and their contents should be correct. I have looked at the subtitle settings in PDVD 18 and can't find anything to change.

What else should I check?

Thanks in advance, Paul.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
That's strange. I've never had problems displaying srt sub files in PowerDVD. Did you try just draggin and droppin them onto the UI?

Also, what is the format of the video you trying to play them on?

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 22. 2018 02:31

Paul42 [Avatar]
[Post New]
David,

Thanks for replying. All my video files are .mp4. The .srt files are placed in the folders where each of these files reside. I used to have them working with PDVD 16, but they stopped with PDVD 17 and now PDVD 18. As I indicated, VLC Media Player displays them, whereas PDVD >16 doesn't. I haven't tried converting any of the video files to another format, but if there is a reasonable reason to do so, I could try this.

Paul.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I just tested with a bunch of my older files, and found that all of my MKV files play with subtitles without issue. However, for an AVI file I have, I had to drag and drop the subtitle file on the UI to get it working. I mentioned that in the first post, but you never indicated whether you tried it or not. Can you try dragging and dropping the subtitle file on the video once the video is playing?

I don't have any MP4 files here to try it out unfortunately, but will try later at home.

Dave
Paul42 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dave,

Thanks for your helpful suggestion. I'm sorry I am slow in getting back to you but my external video hd decided to die on me so I had to try this test another way.

Yes, dragging the srt file on to the video while it was active (playing or paused) did the trick. I haven't heard of this workaround, and no one offered it when I posted a similar query in the PDVD17 forum. It looks like PDVD supports srt files for only a limited range of video formats. I wonder why? VLC Media Player seems more flexible in this regard - developers, please note!! I did have srt files being recognized in PDVD16 - what have they broken? Having to drop the srt file on to the UI is surely a "clunky" way of doing it.

I noticed that when I dropped the srt file on to the UI, a message box appeared showing "Subtitle changed". One could infer from this that it had a (internal in the video default?) subtitle registered for the video. If so, I wonder if there is a way of changing this to ensure it looks external first? I'm wondering, now if this subtitle file will be shown for every other video I play. I certainly hope not.

Kind regards and again, thanks for your help.

Paul.

PS. I have now had a chance to observe a few issues.

1. Dropping that srt file on to the UI has it displaying the subtitles each time I run the video, even after a PDVD shutdown and restart. That, at least, helps.

2. I tried playing another video (Fellowship of the Ring - ripped from Blu-ray disk) and it started showing all dialogue subtitles. This video has no srt file in my PC and it's just the file I ripped (no srt dropped on to the UI), so it's got these from somewhere else. I'm redoing the rip to see if it eliminates the problem - I don't want to have subtitles for my entire 2+hr video. Can someone explain this, please. This does not help. VLC Media Player shows no subtitles. It's looking more like I should use VLC and scrap PDVD.

3. To muddy the waters further, I tried viewing the next 2 videos in the Lord of the Ring series (all ripped from Blu-ray disks). The 2nd film (Two Towers) has an srt file in the same folder and shows no subtitles at all. The 3rd file (Return of King) has no srt file and shows all dialogue subtitles. In addition, the subtitles start showing from a few seconds from the start of the video, when the actual dialogue commences some time later (~35sec for the Fellowship video).

4. I checked a couple of other ripped disks, one a DVD and the other a Blu-ray. Neither showed subtitles and neither have srt files in their folders.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 27. 2018 01:32