Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Large projects that need 8.5GB DVDs?
keefy [Avatar]
Member Location: Isle of Wight Joined: Aug 19, 2008 09:20 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I have just completed several long projects that exceed the 4.7GB normal DVD capacity. ie HD, 55minutes in length and 50 fps.

For myself, I would burn to BluRay in order to retain the quality, and have no issue, but I often send DVD copies friends (who don't have BR players). I have tried burning to the standard size, DVD, using Smart Fit, but not only is the quality very poor, there are many clips that appear squashed (ratio change) - although I cant work out why one clip is OK and the next is distorted (from the same camera).

I've noticed that my disc burners installed in my computer cannot hande the Dual layer requirement, but I have an external Samsung burner drive that does, so I am going to give it a go when my 8.5GB DVD+R discs arrive.

I note that when I select 8.5gb DVD on the 'Create Disc' page, I still only get HQ 720x576/50i (9.5 Mbps) or Smart Fit as I did with the 4.7GB selection. I would have expected to have a greater choice of options showing better quality/less compression.

Maybe the Smart Fit will automatically take care of this, but I have my doubts.
(I don't want to break the projects into smaller files and I need to retain the menus created)

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks.
Keith
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
A 55 min pal DVD at 25 fps does fit a 4.7 GB DVD can have good video quality if you know and follow a few rules. Be sure that you choose Dolby Digital and not LPCM for audio. This gives about another 1 Mbps encoding headroom for the video. Make sure your menu is not so complex that it takes up all the space needed to encode the video. Smartfit is not needed if the above rules are followed. Go directly from the timeline to Create Disc. Skip the Produce altogether to avoid a second reencoding which reduces sharpness.
keefy [Avatar]
Member Location: Isle of Wight Joined: Aug 19, 2008 09:20 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Quote A 55 min pal DVD at 25 fps does fit a 4.7 GB DVD can have good video quality if you know and follow a few rules. Be sure that you choose Dolby Digital and not LPCM for audio. This gives about another 1 Mbps encoding headroom for the video. Make sure your menu is not so complex that it takes up all the space needed to encode the video. Smart fit is not needed if the above rules are followed. Go directly from the timeline to Create Disc. Skip the Produce altogether to avoid a second reencoding which reduces sharpness.

Hi Tomasc

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I realise that it is possible to get a 55 minute DVD if the frame rate is 25, but because on this occassion (the first time since 200, I have produced the projects at 50fps - there is a lot of GoPro footage that appears to be smoother at 50fps.
I have been editing these 5 discs for many months, and am stuck with my frame rate decision - even it is not wise.

The compression rate of Smart Fix or the other option available (720x576) for a 4.7GB DVD looks terrible and my question still remains as to whether using 8.5GB DVDs will give the capacity to enable a better quality result. Note; changing the capacity in the DVD selection box does not appear to make any differece to the compression options avaiable.

I guess it is too late to simply change the 'Preferences' to 25fps at this late stage. Presumably it should be set at the start of the project. I can't try it at present cause I'm burning a BR.

I appreciate you advice.

Keith