Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashes when I click "Produce"
Mr Pults [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Oct 17, 2018 00:20 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I've made hundreds of small movies with PD16. Suddenly, if I click "Produce", the program closes, without an error message or locking up the computer. It just takes me to my Windows 10 home screen. Any suggestions?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Do you know if this occurred with the latest 3408 patch (released a couple of days ago), or after you installed the Windows 10 October Update. If you don't have the latest PD16 patch, try updating the program and see if that helps

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Do you know if this occurred with the latest 3408 patch (released a couple of days ago), or after you installed the Windows 10 October Update. If you don't have the latest PD16 patch, try updating the program and see if that helps

Yes, it happened an hour after I had Produced a different video. There were no Windows Updates. I tried the Patch. Didn't help. It's like a piece of code just suddenly got corrupted. I was hoping the experts on this Forum had seen this before and knew precisely what to do about it.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Based on what you've stated, chances are that there's something about your new project that is causing the crash. Can you go back to the project that you'd just sucessfully produced and produce again without seeing the crash?

If the crash happens there as well, then it points to something that changed on your system. If the previous project still produces without any problems, try breaking down your new project into something simpler. Perhaps start with producing just a couple of the new clips without any transitions and then build up until you find the problem.

You may find that if you build the project again step by step that you can't replicate the problem, or you may find that at a certain point the problem appears. Either way you'll have much more of an idea for what's going on!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Based on what you've stated, chances are that there's something about your new project that is causing the crash. Can you go back to the project that you'd just sucessfully produced and produce again without seeing the crash?

First, thank you for your help. I just uninstalled PD16 and PD15 from my Windows 10 computer. I re-installed PD15 (because I purchased the physical program), edited a quick 10 second movie, clicked "Produce", and it just disappeared again. The computer doesn't crash, the PD program just closes.

This must mean the problem is in my Windows software, don't you think? Should I re-install Windows? I haven't done that before.

The computer is only a year old. It's a powerful HP All-in-One computer that has never had any problems (witb PD or anything else).

It seems to be working perfectly except for this one glitch, that came from nowhere.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2018 23:07

optodata
[Post New]
Mr Pults said: "First, thank you for your help. I just uninstalled PD16 and PD15 from my Windows 10 computer. I re-installed PD15 (because I purchased the physical program), edited a quick 10 second movie, clicked "Produce", and it just disappeared again. The computer doesn't crash, the PD program just closes."

If you just reinstalled PD15 from a physical disc, you likely don't have the latest version. Please download and install the v3929 patch from the sticky post near the top of the PD15 forum.

If the problem persists, the next thing to do would be to run the DxDiag test and post the results here. Instructions are in the last section of the "Read Me" sticky post at the top of the all PD forums.

That will help us volunteers get a better understanding of what might be going on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2018 02:04

YouTube/optodata

Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
I re-installed Windows, and now the computer is "like new". But PD 15 still has the same problem - closes when I click "Produce". If we can solve the problem, I will re-install PD 16, as I still have the original zip files I downloaded from Cyberlink.

The patch you referred to: V3929 would not install, said I didn't have the right program on my computer. But I don't think that's the problem anyway. If we can solve the problem, I'll be using PD 16.

I've attached the DxDiag test you advised me to run.

I also made a Screen Recorder 30 second video of what is happening. If you're interested, I can attach that (or put it on YouTube. It's 22mb).

Thanks again.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
296 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Yes, please upload the clip to YouTube, then use this button to attach it to your post:

Thank you for posting your DxDiag test results. Two things stand out at me, along with your comment about PD15 not accepting the patch.

At the end of the test results there are many crashes caused by "svchost.exe_FrameServer" which would seem to be related to PD's operation. The two most recent crashes were caused by PD15 (v1928), but without any dates or times, I can't tell if the other crashes occurred before or after you reinstalled Win10.

First, please update your video driver from the Intel website here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28240/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=80939

Next, open an administrator-level command prompt (Google if you're not familiar), and type in sfc /scannow and hit <Enter>. Even though you just reinstalled Win10, depending on the exact method you used, there could potentially still be issues with some critical system files and System File Checker will verify and repair if needed.

Next, try installing PD16, and either manually download and install the v3408 patch (if you have the standalone downloaded version) or use the AppManager if it's the subscription version. Try opening your project again and see what happens.

If the crash still occurs, it would help to see a sample clip from the project that's causing the problems. Please upload it to a cloud sharing service (like OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive) and post the link here so others can download it and see if there might be any reasons it could be a problem for your system to deal with.

YouTube/optodata

Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqfVHYrKu8

optodata
[Post New]
Thank you very much for posting that. Since you're using a sample clip from PD's library, there's no need to upload a copy.

What you're seeing should not ever happen, but I am concerned that you've cut a very short clip before trying to produce it. What happens if you don't do anything to that clip, just place it on the timline and click Produce?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2018 18:35

YouTube/optodata

Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just tried placing the sample clip on the timeline and clicking "Produce". Same result.

Everything I've tried in the last 48 hours has produced the same result. After reloading, it gives a message that there is a project that it can try to retrieve. After a power outage, you get the same message, and it can usually recover whatever was lost.

I updated the drivers - all was normal.

I ran the sfc /Scannow test - everything is normal.

The only thing I haven't done is reinstall PD 16. I have about 15 different files that say Application for PD16.

Is this the one I should double-click to start the install:

1_CyberLink_PowerDirector16_Ultimate_VDE171117-02

It's been a year since I installed it. Would the serial number be in the emails they sent me?

Thats why I chose PD15 to reinstall, because at least I have the discs and the serial number.

Thanks so much!
neilbalthaser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2018 22:33 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the exact same problem starting today. All my projects which were previously producing now immediately crash the app when I hit "produce". I was able to produce just a few days ago.
Wright1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United States Joined: Oct 18, 2018 22:34 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
After viewing your video and reading all of the commentary, I would like to add that I am experiencing the exact same problem.

Everytime I click Produce, Powerdirector simply closes. In addition, I restarted my computer, applied the patch/update, and I uninstalled and reinstalled Cyberlink Powerdirector 16. I also opened and tried several different project big and small and others that I have already produced. Nothing worked.

I really needed this video produced tonight. Please let me know if there are other ways to fix this problem!! Thank you.
Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sorry for your troubles, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone now.

Hopefully, there's a solution.

Tomorrow, I'm going to install PD15 on my older laptop that runs Windows 7. I expect it will work fine (but slow).

I'll let you know.
optodata
[Post New]
I think there's good news and not-so-good news here.

The good news is that several people seem to be having the very same problem, which means there's likely a common thread that will lead to the solution.

The not so good news is that this problem is well beyond what we volunteers on the forum are able to help with, so the ideal action would be for all of you (and any other people experiencing this issue) to contact Cyberlink tech support directly and get them involved.

There is a tech support link at the bottom of every one of the PDModerator's posts (for example, in the Read Me sticky post at the top of this forum). Use that to get the process started, and hopfully they'll be able to get everyone up and running again.

Good luck!

YouTube/optodata

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Please will all users with this crash issue submit a support ticket to CS and then respond here with your ticket numbers.

Other users have also reported this issue and the more information the CS team gets the better. This type of crash may point to an issue with your GPU/drivers but this would need confirmation.

Thank you.

PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
neilbalthaser [Avatar]
[Post New]
I opened a ticket last night and got a prompt response but they still have not been able to resolve it. it's unfortunate because MANY of us are on deadlines and need this resolved ASAP so any help you the moderator can give us with gettingt his resolved at Cyberlink is appreciated as well. i'll share here anything I hear.
neilbalthaser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's my ticket # CS001945515

Not getting any response from them this morning. Some of us are on deadlines and so no communication isn't good. If I have to move over to Premiere to meet my deadline then I won't be coming back to PowerDirector.

Does anyone have any update from Cyberlink?
Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just submitted my report. My ticket is: CS001945723.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.
Wright1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United States Joined: Oct 18, 2018 22:34 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
My support Ticket #: CS001945734