Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Edit 360 video as 2D
Krzysztof_K [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 04, 2018 12:48 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
When I run PD17 in '360 editor' mode and I add a 360 movie to the timeline, a window with 2D/3D selection appears. I choose 2D and the 'View Designer' window appears where I can rotate the view and add key frames.
Okay.
But if I add the next clip 360, even the same file, the window 'View Designer' where I can rotate the view does not show up and the picture is in the equirectangular mode.

How can I change in the timeline, view from 'equirectangular' to '2D with a change of perspective'?

Regards
Krzysztof
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Krzysztof -

Once you've set the project to 16:9 (not equirectangular) and applied View Designer to a 360° clip, the project should remain in 16:9 mode & View Designer should still be available whatever clips you import & insert in the timeline.

Isn't that what's happening?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Krzysztof, do you see the "360" tag on the clip in the media library, or is it missing, like this?

I put 3 clips in a new project but only two are recognized by PD17 as 360. When I put the clip that isn't recognized properly in the timeline, it doesn't display correctly there either (click here for a full-size image), but it DOES show the 360 tag, while the other 360 clips do not!

If that's what's happening to you, right-click on the clip in the media library, then click Set 360 Projection Format and select Equirectangular (360° The 360 tag should appear, like this:

Delete the clip from the timeline and drag the updated clip there, and things should work as expected. If for any reason a timeline clip doesn't work correctly, you'll want to right click on it and choose Convert to 2D Object to have it work properly.

Maybe this is a bug where PD17 is somehow confusing 360 clips with 3D objects?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 05. 2018 11:49

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Milebo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: France Joined: Sep 06, 2018 08:42 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I quite agree with rthe idea that VR360 is a good mixer between 3D VR and SbS 2D...
I edited 2D as VR, ordinary 4k footage, and the pan logo works on a computer, enabling the viewer to drag and drop the whole picture around as it plays -in "Film & Video" player.
Building on that (and straying a bit out of the original topic) I have (such as..) little dream (I sadly learnt that father Xmaswill soon be on the endangered species short list, due to warming ... you know what sort of !) :

-Could Cyberlink devise a real mix between Vr 180° and 3D in SbSide mode, which is actually 2D in fact?
a) allow import of 2 right and left video clips, making conversion to VR only an option (one should keep picture format as it is for 3D)
b) allow for 4K export as 3D, or VR 180° -which seems to have an edge at the moment.

c) allow for "upright" videos to be paired at import stage : 4000+ pixels x 2x2120 pixels to obtain VR, or 3D ,
according to capture mode. Export could be SbS or Top/bottom .

At the moment I have 2 4k smartphones, and I am preparing a rig for the 2 phones following modes :

• SbS 4 K export as 4K in regular mp4 3D

• "to be stiched" capture of 2 side by side, OR top/bottom overlapping streams for VR.
    (I have to say I haven't been that impressed by the available VR footage, be it in VR 180, sorry)

... just my crazy 6 pence .. ultimately, if PD 19 or more could have a look at it, I thank them in advance,
    and Merry Xmas -also in advance!

Krzysztof_K [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
In media library all clips are Equirectangular (360° ) but in timeline no 360 tags :

Timeline clip doesn't work correctly but i dont have option Convert to 2D Object.

What can I do with these clips?
Greetings

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,
In media library all clips are Equirectangular (360° ) but in timeline no 360 tags :
Timeline clip doesn't work correctly but i dont have option Convert to 2D Object.
What can I do with these clips?
Greetings

Thanks for the very helpful screenshots! That's very interesting - could you upload one of those clips to a cloud sharing service and post the link? I'd like to try out that clip on my system and see how it behaves
Krzysztof_K [Avatar]
[Post New]
Link to video file:
Click green box 'POBIERZ'

So...
I run PD17 in '360 editor' mode

Next I copy file to media library

I move video file to timeline

A window 2D/3D selection appears

I change aspect ratio from 360 to 16:9

'View designer' window appear

Video is in first point view on 2D

I second time move the same clip to timeline

Clip now is in the equirectangular mode without appears window asking me 2D/3D selection

both clips on the timeline are without 360 tags (only in media library)

Greetings
KK
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Link to video file:
Click green box 'POBIERZ'

So...

Greetings
KK

Dziękuję for showing everything you see in your editor step by step. I followed your instructions and see the exact same issue in my editor. I made 4 copies of your clip, and no matter which one I add to the timeline after the first clip, they are all in equirectangular mode.

Also, if I select mulitple clips in the library and place them all on the timeline at the same time, I do not get the prompt asking which 360 mode I want the project to be - it simply runs as equirectangular.

The good news is that I have found a way to get all your timeline clips running correctly

1. Place a single copy of the first clip on the timeline

2. Choose the 2D option

3. View Designer opens, and for now just click OK

4. Copy the clip and paste a second copy in the timeline. It should have the correct style preview (not be equirectangluar):

5. Select the second clip in the media library, and drag it straight onto the copied clip on the timeline.

6. Release the mouse button and choose Replace:

7. The second clip will retain the properties of the original (copied) clip, but with the new clip's content!

8. Repeat the copy/paste then replace for as many clips as you want to add. That's it!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 05. 2018 13:25

Krzysztof_K [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, it works.
But I have only one, the same perspective in all clips.

It is only half solution of my problem, but in this version (PD17) we can't do more. I will wait for PD18, maybe programmers fix this.
Thanks for help.
Greetings
KK
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Okay, it works.
But I have only one, the same perspective in all clips.

It is only half solution of my problem, but in this version (PD17) we can't do more. I will wait for PD18, maybe programmers fix this.
Thanks for help.
Greetings
KK

You can still change the perspective and even have different ones in other clips, but you'll need to do things differently from my first suggestion.

Start a new project, and set the perspective in the View Designer when you place the first clip, and then create a new project for each clip and place just that one clip on the timeline. Edit each clip in its own project, and then combine them once your major editing is finished by copying the clip from its project and pasting it on the timeline in your main project. You can nest the individual clip projects to make them easier to access.

I know this requires several extra steps on your part and this certainly seems like a bug. Cyberlink will release several patches for PD17 over the next 6 months at least, so make sure you submit a request to tech support and reference this thread on the forum so the programmers know to look at this issue.

Here's how to nest projects:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 05. 2018 14:37

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi KK & optodata -

I'm pretty sure I must be missing something basic here. Help me out.

Using the practice file from KK's Yi360, I've replicated the steps shown above in a 16:9 project.

1. Insert the clip into the timeline

2. Go to View Designer and set keyframes

3. Insert the clip (or any other 360 clip) again - yes - shows in eqirectangular view.

4. Go to View Designer & set keyframes (different to first clip).

I don't understand what the limitation is. It's doing what I expect to to, but maybe I'm not expecting enough? KK - what is it you want to do that you can't?

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote: But if I add the next clip 360, even the same file, the window 'View Designer' where I can rotate the view does not show up and the picture is in the equirectangular mode.

That's the bit I don't get.

Here, when the second clip is inserted it is in equirectangular mode, but View Designer is available.

Cheers - Tony
optodata
[Post New]
Quote: But if I add the next clip 360, even the same file, the window 'View Designer' where I can rotate the view does not show up and the picture is in the equirectangular mode.

That's the bit I don't get.

Here, when the second clip is inserted it is in equirectangular mode, but View Designer is available.

Cheers - Tony

That's it Tony! As far as I know, neither Krzysztof or I thought to look under the Designer tools for the View Designer, yet there it is and it works just as expected. ARGH!

Thanks very much for sharing your experience and keen insight

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Krzysztof_K [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Tony (Ynotfish),
I was looking for this solution! Thank you for your insight and time to solve my problem.
Regards
KK

PS
Subject to closing.