Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help with jagged lines in the video
OverTheEdge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 02, 2018 22:48 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have PD 365. Is there a way for PD to help sooth the look of jagged lines from bridge railings, train tracks, and street lines?

The video below was shot in HVEC, 1080p at 60fps, but I am getting jagged lines. Can PD help this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huX6yHDAL5w
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I have PD 365. Is there a way for PD to help sooth the look of jagged lines from bridge railings, train tracks, and street lines?

The video below was shot in HVEC, 1080p at 60fps, but I am getting jagged lines. Can PD help this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huX6yHDAL5w

Do you see the jaggies in your original drone footage? If possible, upload a clip to a cloud sharing service and post the link so other people can download and test it on their systems.

The YouTube clip comments show that you produced it with PD17. What production profile did you use?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The YouTube clip comments show that you produced it with PD17.

That would typically indicate that OverTheEdge used one of PDR's Online > YouTube profiles, which almost led me to post something about WMVs... but the online profiles are MP4 now.

Close parallel lines in bridges & buildings, combined with panning or zooming (which is what the drone is effectively doing) are very good at producing jaggies like that. Then you have YouTube processing complicating the issue.

I'd try producing to a significantly higher bitrate, which is possibly where optodata was heading. I just produced some similar drone footage (flying over bridge) to MP4 @ 30Mbps and there's no evidence of jaggies.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi OverTheEdge & optodata -

It's definitely got a lot to do with YouTube processing!

The video I produced in PDR17 to AVC H.264 MP4 1920x1080/30p @30Mbps looks pretty clean in playback in VLC player. On YouTube, there are artefacts (though not as predominant as in OTE's example.

Here's the video on YouTube & here are two screenshots attached of (about) the same frame in YT & VLC Player.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2018 02:28

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
OverTheEdge [Avatar]
[Post New]

Do you see the jaggies in your original drone footage? If possible, upload a clip to a cloud sharing service and post the link so other people can download and test it on their systems.

The YouTube clip comments show that you produced it with PD17. What production profile did you use?

Thanks for your response...

My original footage does have the jaggies. To me, the youtube and original look about the same.

I am very new to PD, so I am not sure what production profile I am using, but I will resaesrch more on the topic.

Given that the raw footage has the jaggies, is there anything that PD can do to correct this?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2018 09:56

OverTheEdge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: The YouTube clip comments show that you produced it with PD17.

I'd try producing to a significantly higher bitrate, which is possibly where optodata was heading. I just produced some similar drone footage (flying over bridge) to MP4 @ 30Mbps and there's no evidence of jaggies.

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony,

I actually just got the drone (Mavic 2 Zoom & PD), so this was literally my first time flying the drone and I haven;t really looked at the settings, such as bitrate. I pretty much flew it with default settings (I did change the resolution to 1080p at 60fps).

With that said, I will check these setting to see if this helps. I have seen similar footage on youtube with panning. moving fast etc and no jaggies.

However, given that the raw footage has the jaggies, is there anything that PD can do to correct this?