Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Issue in PD17 Collage Designer with portrait videos playing sideways.
[Post New]
Was just following a tutorial on youtube by Sharper Turtle on PD 17 Collage designer, following along. I loaded a 3 window collage design and used 2 portrait videos and 1 16:9. In the playback mode the portrait videos played sideways and the 16:9 played just fine. After hitting ok and the collage video posting to the time line in the edit mode the 2 portrait videos also played sideways during preview. Once you get to the produce screen the preview there plays fine, no sideways portrait videos and the Produced video file also plays like it should. I am wondering if this is an issue( BUG) with using portrait videos in the Collage Designer. Anyone else having this issue. Program seemed kind of laggy as well with just 3 videos 1080x720 with a I7 7500U with 8 gigs of ddr4 ram...sigh..
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Was just following a tutorial on youtube by Sharper Turtle on PD 17 Collage designer, following along. I loaded a 3 window collage design and used 2 portrait videos and 1 16:9. In the playback mode the portrait videos played sideways and the 16:9 played just fine. After hitting ok and the collage video posting to the time line in the edit mode the 2 portrait videos also played sideways during preview. Once you get to the produce screen the preview there plays fine, no sideways portrait videos and the Produced video file also plays like it should. I am wondering if this is an issue( BUG) with using portrait videos in the Collage Designer. Anyone else having this issue. Program seemed kind of laggy as well with just 3 videos 1080x720 with a I7 7500U with 8 gigs of ddr4 ram...sigh..

It's not just Collage Designer - it seems to be all projects with the vertical (9:16) aspect ratio. I made a slideshow manually with vertical photos, and like you, it previewed as expected and ultimately played correctly in VLC and on YouTube, but when it was being produced, all the preview images were sideways (16:9).

I agree that it would be nice to have the correct orientation shown if the preview is on during producing, although that's not necessarily a critical feature. At least the output clip is formatted correctly, so people can still produce 9:16 videos.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2018 23:24

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I can't replicate that.

Using a mixture of 9:16 & 16:9 sources - phones, DSLR, pre-produced 9:16 slideshows - in Video Collage Designer - in both 9:16 & 16:9 projects - everything was as expected...

• Preview in VCD showed with correct orientation. Nothing was sideways.

• Timeline preview was correct too.

• Produced videos correct.

What am I missing? Ah! It's preview during production! DOH! First time I've turned that on since PDR7.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2018 16:39

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi -

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I can't replicate that.

What am I missing? Ah! It's preview during production! DOH! First time I've turned that on since PDR7.

Cheers - Tony

Tony - was your preview during production sideways once you enabled it? I'm making a quick vid that shows what my workspace looks like. Also, I only used 9:16 images, but when I had a single 16:9 in there that didn't change the previewing while producing issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2018 16:58

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

Yes - when production preview is turned on in a 9:16 project the preview is oriented wrongly (sideways).

In a 16:9 project, whatever content is used in VCD, the production preview is correct.

Cheers - Tony
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Hi optodata -

Yes - when production preview is turned on in a 9:16 project the preview is oriented wrongly (sideways).

In a 16:9 project, whatever content is used in VCD, the production preview is correct.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for confirming! I actually found a new issue when I was trying to produce my video that showed this problem, and I'll post that now and not make the video for this issue unless the Moderator or Cyberlink want to see it.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]

Tony - was your preview during production sideways once you enabled it? I'm making a quick vid that shows what my workspace looks like. Also, I only used 9:16 images, but when I had a single 16:9 in there that didn't change the previewing while producing issue.

I never enabled the preview during production.
[Post New]
I made a video of what I am seeing. Not sure what the issue was at the end, possibly system taxing trying to produce and run screen recorder 3 at the same time, most boring 11 minutes of your life lol. Here is the link.

https://youtu.be/3cFIIOJmiCY

This is a shorter video (4min) showing the issue, I did enable preview during producing on this one which shows the video renduring fine, as well as the preview on the production screen before pressing the produce sign. Videos were taken with a Note 8. Sorry for the repititivness and thanks for your patience. In the end the video came out fine, but version 16 has no issues doing the same thing.

https://youtu.be/UEt27ORtRRk

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2018 00:54

[Post New]
This is a shorter video (4min) showing the issue, I did enable preview during producing on this one which shows the video renduring fine, as well as the preview on the production screen before pressing the produce sign. Videos were taken with a Note 8. Sorry for the repititivness and thanks for your patience. In the end the video came out fine, but version 16 has no issues doing the same thing.

https://youtu.be/UEt27ORtRRk

According to your video, I guess the issue belongs to the shadow file(aka proxy file), you may turn it off in Preferences > General to workaround.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Good thinking, the King. Unfortunately, even when shadow files are enbled in the example below, everything is hunky dory.

camarodood - I've replicated your procedure here using vertically shot clips from iPhone X, iPhone 7, iPad & DSLR. In each case, the orientation display is correct in VCD preview, timeline preview & produce preview - in a 16:9 project.

In a 9:16 project, the produce preview shows the 9:16 vertical videos sideways.

In the screenshots below, left & right videos are 9:16 & the centre one is 16:9.

Video CDollage preview -

Timeline preview -

Produce preview -

I think the issue may be related to the orientation tags in your Galaxy Note 8 videos. e.g. when I open the 9:16 videos I'm using in Media Info it states "Rotation: 90°" these videos display properly. When you check your Note 8 videos in MediaInfo, does it state the same?

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 28. 2018 06:51

[Post New]
Quote Good thinking, the King. Unfortunately, even when shadow files are enbled in the example below, everything is hunky dory.

camarodood - I've replicated your procedure here using vertically shot clips from iPhone X, iPhone 7, iPad & DSLR. In each case, the orientation display is correct in VCD preview, timeline preview & produce preview - in a 16:9 project.

In a 9:16 project, the produce preview shows the 9:16 vertical videos sideways.

In the screenshots below, left & right videos are 9:16 & the centre one is 16:9.

Video CDollage preview -

Timeline preview -

Produce preview -

I think the issue may be related to the orientation tags in your Galaxy Note 8 videos. e.g. when I open the 9:16 videos I'm using in Media Info it states "Rotation: 90°" these videos display properly. When you check your Note 8 videos in MediaInfo, does it state the same?

Cheers - Tony

Where is this media info thing? Never had issues with any orientation of videos, They play fine in any media player I play them on. I also followd the same procedure in PD 16 and the orientaion displayed correctly in that Collage video designer throughout all steps of the design, so I don't think it is that. I could try some portrait video from my 80d and see if it still does it with those files. Shadow files are enabled as well on the videos.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2018 20:23

optodata
[Post New]
Where is this media info thing? ...

You can download the free MediaInfo tool from here. Note that you'll need to run it one time (you may need to start typing it in the "Type here to search" box) before it's available as a right-click option in Windows/File Explorer. After that, simply select the clip you want info about, right-click and choose MediaInfo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2018 21:09

YouTube/optodata

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi camarodood -

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there's no problem with PDR17. I'm just posting what I've observed with the clips I'm using - which are not from a Galaxy Note 8.

i.e. with the clips I've used, I haven't once been able to replicate the issue you're having.

Try the same procedure with this iPhone clip & see what happens at your end.

Upload a short clip from your Note 8 to Google Drive or similar shared file site - and we can check it.

Just trying to isolate the issue so a solution can be sorted out.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2018 21:36

[Post New]
Quote Hi camarodood -

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there's no problem with PDR17. I'm just posting what I've observed with the clips I'm using - which are not from a Galaxy Note 8.

i.e. with the clips I've used, I haven't once been able to replicate the issue you're having.

Try the same procedure with this iPhone clip & see what happens at your end.

Upload a short clip from your Note 8 to Google Drive or similar shared file site - and we can check it.

Just trying to isolate the issue so a solution can be sorted out.

Cheers - Tony

Here is a link to a short clip from that note 8.

I did download the iphone clip and used it with 2 other videos to make a collage and it displays the iphone clip sidways as the other portrait clip, the 16:9 clip still displays fine. Still plays right in the produce window, and saved video displays fine as well. Wierd huh.

-tony

Here is a link to thefile info from that program on the note 8 video link.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2018 02:48

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Tony -

There's some good news and some confusing news...

Thanks for uploading the Note 8 clip & testing the iPhone clip. That tells us something, because...

Your Note 8 clip, which has the same rotation tag as the iPhone clips I've tested: "Rotation : 90°", displays correctly at each stage of the process on my PCs.

In Video Collage Designer -

In titmeline preview -

In production preview -

So - it's not the rotation tags & it's not a universal issue with PDR17. It's something about your particular installation of PDR17 & how it's interacting with your system.

I know - as clear as mud. I don't have a clue what it might be... but at least you're able to produce the video correctly.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2018 04:11

[Post New]
Quote Hi Tony -

There's some good news and some confusing news...

Thanks for uploading the Note 8 clip & testing the iPhone clip. That tells us something, because...

Your Note 8 clip, which has the same rotation tag as the iPhone clips I've tested: "Rotation : 90°", displays correctly at each stage of the process on my PCs.

In Video Collage Designer -

In titmeline preview -

In production preview -

So - it's not the rotation tags & it's not a universal issue with PDR17. It's something about your particular installation of PDR17 & how it's interacting with your system.

I know - as clear as mud. I don't have a clue what it might be... but at least you're able to produce the video correctly.

Cheers - Tony

I will try a reinstall of PD17, and see if that fixes it. Thanks for taking the time to check this all out.

Tony
[Post New]
It is a SHADOW FILE ISSUE. When I click on the Enable Shadow files setting under the General Preferences ,and disable shadow files, the preview plays fine when I use the video collage Designer plugin. If I cancel the project and go back to settings and enable shadow files , reset the shadow file resolution to 1280x720 it will play correctly or if I enable to 1920x1080 it will work fine. Just seems odd the 1920x1080 wont work on initial program startup and I have to fiddle around with these setting to make the program work right. I did update my video driver but it didnt make a difference. Anyhow. Thanks for the help, I think I will send off an email to support and see what they have to say.

If I save the script file .pds I guess it does save the setting so when I close and reopen the program the shadow files box stays off.

-Tony

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 30. 2018 00:55

ynotfish
[Post New]
Very odd issue!

Sorry Tony - I can't replicate any of that.

• Shadow files enabled or disabled - preview is correct in VCD, timeline & production.

• Shadow files set to any resolution - preview is correct in VCD, timeline & production (shadow files deleted between closing & re-opening project)

I don't doubt what you've observed - just can't see that it's universal.

Cheers - Tony