Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 8 and AVCHD
Darren [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2008 12:39 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I was just wondering what the opinions are on PD 8? I am currently running PD 7 Ultra and so far have been pleased with it overall. I am thinking about upgrading but I was wondering what the overall concensous of version 8 is? Is it buggy or is it relatively stable compared to version 7? Right now the three biggest problems I have with version 7 are:

1.) Multi-layered menu support...being able to have a slide show and a video clip as separate clips each with their own discrete chapters (sounds like this was added with version 8 is that correct?)

2.) My Canon HG10 splits it's AVCHD filles into 2 gig files. When I add them to PD 7, there is a small blip in the audio where the two segments join...I know this isn't a problem with the clips because I have found a work around...I use windows binary copy to append the clips together into one large file and the audio blibs are gone. Of course this is minor inconvienience but it would still be nice to simply join the files in PD and have them work.....has anyone else experience this problem and does anyone know if it is fixed in PD8?

3.) PD7 sometimes doesn't recognize the audio from the mpeg2 clips from my Hauppauge 1600 tuner. It's actually strange...in the clip preview, the audio plays fine...as soon as I add it to the timeline and play the clip from there the audio doesn't play. Is it been anyones experience that PD 8 is a little more robust in some of it's video/audio support?
Darren [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2008 12:39 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
3.) PD7 sometimes doesn't recognize the audio from the mpeg2 clips from my Hauppauge 1600 tuner. It's actually strange...in the clip preview, the audio plays fine...as soon as I add it to the timeline and play the clip from there the audio doesn't play. Is it been anyones experience that PD 8 is a little more robust in some of it's video/audio support?

FYI, the audio problem I mentioned here appears to be a known issue as documented on this page: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6180.page According to the last post RD was working hard to resolve it...anyone know if it was resolved in 8?

And the 2 gig file limit issue is documented here in case anyone cares: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-vixia-hf-hg-series-avchd/113083-canon-vixia-hg10-2gb-file-limit-headache.html
Keyan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2009 09:09 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Well, if you read my "Uh oh.." thread, you'll see the issues I am having, which are many.

Basically, even though I could get a render out of PD7 in AVCHD, in 8, I have yet to get my 20 min movie to work. It fails every time, regardless of if I am doing a disc creation or just an AVCHD file. I also cannot get it to create an SD DVD with AVCHD source files either.

I'm really annoyed at the moment since I need to get this project done by Saturday.
tarry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2008 22:36 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
i cant get any software to work with 24 meg canon achdv movies.. its killing me that businesses can sell items that dont work.. canon hfs100.. powerdirector 8, pinnacle.. i cant get anything to produce off a mpeg 4 video, its just frustrating.