Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Keyframe quirk in PD17
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've been away for a while, but I'm involved in video work again and am using DS365/PD17 for a big project. I like the new editor features, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any problems using keyframes.

I've noticed that sometimes one will disappear if I create a new one nearby, mostly when I'm editing an existing series of position changes generated by the Motion Tracker tool, but I haven't figured out yet if the problem is repeatable.

As I started recording my screen to investigate, I ran into a different keyframe problem that's very easy to see and repeat. Here's a video that shows the problem along with the steps needed to repeat the conditions. Does anyone else see this behavior, and is the forum still an appropriate place for tech issues like this?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
PowerDirector Tutorials
Senior Member Location: Tennessee Joined: Sep 29, 2014 20:25 Messages: 192 Offline
[Post New]
Looks like a bug to me. PowerDirector Tutorials Team
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've been away for a while, but I'm involved in video work again and am using DS365/PD17 for a big project. I like the new editor features, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any problems using keyframes.

I've noticed that sometimes one will disappear if I create a new one nearby, mostly when I'm editing an existing series of position changes generated by the Motion Tracker tool, but I haven't figured out yet if the problem is repeatable.

As I started recording my screen to investigate, I ran into a different keyframe problem that's very easy to see and repeat. Here's a video that shows the problem along with the steps needed to repeat the conditions. Does anyone else see this behavior, and is the forum still an appropriate place for tech issues like this?

Hi,

I get the same issue on DS365 PDR2029.

As you indicate once the keyframe adjustment is past the top clip, it works. Interestingly if the keyframes are adjusted away from the top clip, and re-placed below it (as normal) the motion works fine as expected.

I haven't tested all the combos but the opacity works fine, it seems only the position keyframes are affected.

I will raise it with CL.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Never noticed it before but this happens in my PDR15 so it's not new.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I get the same issue on DS365 PDR2029.

As you indicate once the keyframe adjustment is past the top clip, it works. Interestingly if the keyframes are adjusted away from the top clip, and re-placed below it (as normal) the motion works fine as expected.

I haven't tested all the combos but the opacity works fine, it seems only the position keyframes are affected.

I will raise it with CL.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thank you!

Probably on the same note as your findings, if you start with the Track 2 clip underneath one on Track 1 but then drag the Track 1 image position off to 1 side so that some part of it isn't "behind" the Track 2 clip image, then you can adjust the Track 2 image position keyframes normally. The problem only occurs whe the images overlap.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2018 13:00

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

optodata
[Post New]
Quote Never noticed it before but this happens in my PDR15 so it's not new.

The behavior in PD14 is also problematic, but it's very different than in PD17.

There's actually no problem in selecting the clip after making position changes, but keyframes aren't added automatically when the image is moved, and I have to click on the diamond 2 times to get the position to stick the first time. If I click in the keyframe space with the scrubber at a new location, a correct keyframe is added, but if I click on the diamond, the image jumps back to the previous position!

I bring this up because as you said, what I found in PD17 isn't a new problem and the issues shown in PD14 are very similar to the hard to duplicate issues I'm having when dealing with lots of keyframes in PD17. Basically, fundamental properties like persistance, activation and independence are not reliable, and the cause clearly seems to lie deep in the core keyframe code.

I really hope someone at Cyberlink can look into that module and either rewrite it from scratch or do a rigorous code review and fix the fundamental ambiguities in it. That would make a significant improvement to PD17's reliablilty!

YouTube/optodata

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata & all -

I can replicate that easily in PDR17, when editing in the keyframes module/preview screen. Setting keyframes in PiP Designer doesn't show up the same issues. e.g. if I'm editing the clip in T2 it stays selected

Longedge - I can't replicate the same problem in PDR15, following optodata's procedure. While the clip in T2 is being keyframed, it remains active & I don't get that involuntary deselection.

On a related issue, in PDR17's Title Designer, I was editing a template that contained two titles & an background image. The only way I could edit the keyframes of the titles was to disable the background image... e.g. I'd click on a title to reposition it & the background image would become selected.

As optodata states: "Fundamental properties like persistance, activation and independence are not reliable."

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Hi optodata & all -

I can replicate that easily in PDR17, when editing in the keyframes module/preview screen. Setting keyframes in PiP Designer doesn't show up the same issues. e.g. if I'm editing the clip in T2 it stays selected...

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony! I'll also try that as a workaround if I see that other odd keyframe behaviour I'd mentioned earlier.

It seems like different code is used for almost identical functions in several places in PD. I guess the upside is that one module/approach may work perfectly, or at least not suffer the same issues as a similar module/approach.

YouTube/optodata