Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview Screen when playing is black
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2018 15:00 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I have a mp4 video that I am trying to edit. When I add this or any video into my timeline and attempt to preview I get a black screen and can hear the sound. I can clink and move the the video forward and see it moving but once I select play the clip changes to black and only hear the sound. In researching I installed all the patched/updates. I have ensured the check boxes on the time lime are selected for both the audio and video. Someone had mentioned in the forum to unchecked the boxes for the hardware acceleration under preferences. Please advise. I have both Power director 14 and 16 and neither will work.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a mp4 video that I am trying to edit. When I add this or any video into my timeline and attempt to preview I get a black screen and can hear the sound. I can clink and move the the video forward and see it moving but once I select play the clip changes to black and only hear the sound. In researching I installed all the patched/updates. I have ensured the check boxes on the time lime are selected for both the audio and video. Someone had mentioned in the forum to unchecked the boxes for the hardware acceleration under preferences. Please advise. I have both Power director 14 and 16 and neither will work.

If you upgraded your video card drivers, go into Device Manager, Video Card, Reverse Drivers
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you upgraded your video card drivers, go into Device Manager, Video Card, Reverse Drivers

I have a laptop when I go to Device manager I do not see Video card as an option.

Thank you,
Cindy
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]

I have a laptop when I go to Device manager I do not see Video card as an option.

Thank you,
Cindy

Here's how:
Video Adapters
AMD Radeon ... (name of your video card)
2 click on the video card, Drive tab see the image
[Thumb - driver video.jpg]
 Filename
driver video.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
183 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
40 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 23. 2018 10:45

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Here's how:
Video Adapters

Hi Cindy

You dont make it clear if you have actually tried unchecking HA in preferences. If you haven't, try it. Unchecking HA can often cure the strangest things.

Good luck

Robert
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi Cindy

You dont make it clear if you have actually tried unchecking HA in preferences. If you haven't, try it. Unchecking HA can often cure the strangest things.

Good luck

Robert

Thank you I had seen you posts in the forum regarding this and had already unchecked the Hardware acceleration boxes. Thank you, any other sugestions?

CIndy
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Here's how:
Video Adapters

Okay I located the drivers for my video chipset and there is not an option for rolling back the drivers.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Okay I located the drivers for my video chipset and there is not an option for rolling back the drivers.

Does the MP4 clip play on any other player such as VLC player or similar? If you havent tried it, give it a go.

Robert
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Does the MP4 clip play on any other player such as VLC player or similar? If you havent tried it, give it a go.

Robert

Yes the only problem is while trying to view the preview when editing. I have played the video on other players and have produced videos from Powerdirector that work fine. It is just the preview.

Thank you
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Yes the only problem is while trying to view the preview when editing. I have played the video on other players and have produced videos from Powerdirector that work fine. It is just the preview.

Thank you

Is it just this one clip?
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Is it just this one clip?

Just had a thought. Have you unintentionally unticked the video track in PD?
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Just had a thought. Have you unintentionally unticked the video track in PD?

It is with all videos and i have checked and unchecked.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Can you attach a sample clip unaltered from the source?
While we’re at it, what’s the source?
Do you have any codec packs installed? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Can you attach a sample clip unaltered from the source?
While we’re at it, what’s the source?
Do you have any codec packs installed?

No I do not believe I have any codec installed. The link of a video I downloaded is here. I downloaded it converted as a MP4 made its with the preview not working properly (black screen) and made the video at this location.

Location 1 source-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH8hgfAhldI

Location 2 what I created-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GDnZAscl6Y

Earlier today I made a couple of mp4 videos using my phone and its the same no mater what I use.

It seems to be just the preview function

Thank you
CIndy
 Filename
2018 Cindy Tilton Bench National.pds
[Disk]
 Description
Mp4 created
 Filesize
434 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
342 time(s)
AVPlayVideo
[Post New]

If you did update video drivers and then had this problem, and have no way to revert the drivers, try to uninstall and reinstall the ones you know worked.

In my case I have to use old drivers because the new AMD R9 drivers does not work with PD16 or PD17 I already tested it yesterday.The new Driver looks good for other applications.
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you did update video drivers and then had this problem, and have no way to revert the drivers, try to uninstall and reinstall the ones you know worked.

In my case I have to use old drivers because the new AMD R9 drivers does not work with PD16 or PD17 I already tested it yesterday.The new Driver looks good for other applications.

I do not believe the drivers have been updated

Thank you,
CIndy
AVPlayVideo
[Post New]

I do not believe the drivers have been updated

Thank you,
CIndy

Capture a screen of the occurrence with PD16 and post here, maybe we can see something that helps.
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Capture a screen of the occurrence with PD16 and post here, maybe we can see something that helps.

Here is a screen shot-

CIndy
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
29 time(s)
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Here is a screen shot-

CIndy

I see you are using shadow files. Try without. If that works we can discuss why.
Goobergirl69 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I see you are using shadow files. Try without. If that works we can discuss why.

I unselected the shadow files and I am still having the same issue. If I pause the preview of the video it does show me a picture of the present location of the clip. When O press play again the preview goes to a black screen agin and I can hear the sound.

Thank you,
CIndy