Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No Director Suite 7, just a cloud subscription model?
[Post New]
Hi,

I am a bit confused - is there going to be no Director Suite 7, just an monthly / annual subscription model? Then there is one crucial question to be answered - what happens, when you stop to pay? Are you left with the last version you have paid for, or just with nothing? I am using photo editing tools, so I know both subscription models ....
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I am a bit confused - is there going to be no Director Suite 7, just an monthly / annual subscription model? Then there is one crucial question to be answered - what happens, when you stop to pay? Are you left with the last version you have paid for, or just with nothing? I am using photo editing tools, so I know both subscription models ....

Hi,

As far as I am aware the Director Suite is now only available via a subscription plan.

The Plan agreement is here: https://www.cyberlink.com/stat/company/enu/subscription-agreement.jsp

and

your question seems to be answered here in the updated EULA :
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=23377&prodId=4&prodVerId=1339&CategoryId=-1&keyword=EULA

"**SUBSCRIPTION LICENSE
The SOFTWARE is licensed for subscription purposes. You agree that CyberLink may change the version of the SOFTWARE provided to you at any time without liability to you. Ongoing access to Subscription SOFTWARE requires a working internet connection, CyberLink’s receipt of recurring subscription payments and agreement to the terms of use and/or service for Subscription SOFTWARE to be found on the downloading site. The rights granted to you herein will cease after a specified time period and the SOFTWARE usage is time limited, after expiration of which it may be disabled."

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
[Post New]

Hi,

As far as I am aware the Director Suite is now only available via a subscription plan.

The Plan agreement is here: https://www.cyberlink.com/stat/company/enu/subscription-agreement.jsp

and

your question seems to be answered here in the updated EULA :
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=23377&prodId=4&prodVerId=1339&CategoryId=-1&keyword=EULA

"**SUBSCRIPTION LICENSE
The SOFTWARE is licensed for subscription purposes. You agree that CyberLink may change the version of the SOFTWARE provided to you at any time without liability to you. Ongoing access to Subscription SOFTWARE requires a working internet connection, CyberLink’s receipt of recurring subscription payments and agreement to the terms of use and/or service for Subscription SOFTWARE to be found on the downloading site. The rights granted to you herein will cease after a specified time period and the SOFTWARE usage is time limited, after expiration of which it may be disabled."

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks for the clarification. So it is as bad, as it can be - no more on premises Director Suite ...
x64 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2006 23:26 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for the clarification. So it is as bad, as it can be - no more on premises Director Suite ...
well guess what? Cyberlink just lost a sale, and possibly a customer for life. Not buying into this BS.
MissErica77 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2012 06:15 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I too am VERY disappointed by this new change/policy... Point of clarification - if I live somewhere with an internet connection that is... less than reliable... is that going to cause serious issues with using subscription based software? We often have issues streaming Netflix/Amazon - will I also have issues if I attempt to switch to this subscription service? I have a feeling it will....
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

There is no need to worry about reliable internet connection speed (as you do for Netflix) when using Director Suite 365, as it is only really needed when dowloading the inital software, and for software updates and getting the new effects packs that are continually added and available for subscribed users.

Once installed, Director Suite will not use your Internet connection constantly, as the software is installed on your computer. You are just required to sign in at least once a month to check your subscription status from what I remember.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 19. 2018 21:53

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
x64 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

There is no need to worry about reliable internet connection speed (as you do for Netflix) when using Director Suite 365, as it is only really needed when dowloading the inital software, and for software updates and getting the new effects packs that are continually added and available for subscribed users.

Once installed, Director Suite will not use your Internet connection constantly, as the software is installed on your computer. You are just required to sign in at least once a month to check your subscription status from what I remember.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

While it's good to know that you don't need to be on the internet 24/7, I am not buying into this subscription model where the software will stop working if you don't pay up. How many people are there out there who only buy say every 2nd or 3rd version?

This is just greedy of you guys (and one reasons why I did like Cyberlink more than Adobe is due to the subscription model that Adobe has).

Also thank you for being greedy by not providing a free upgrade for those who brought PowerDirector/PhotoDirector durning the sale - this is just to show how inconsiderate you guys are.
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
To add my 2 cents to this discussion for Marketing, the reason that I came from Magix to CyberLink's PD was because Magix decided to go to a pseudo-subscription model. (You pay for one year of patches. If you ever reinstall on a new computer after a year, you lose all the patches.)

I, for one, will never pay to rent software - which is essentially what a subscription model is.

Hopefully CL will reconsider after it sees how the market reacts.
[Post New]
Quote To add my 2 cents to this discussion for Marketing, the reason that I came from Magix to CyberLink's PD was because Magix decided to go to a pseudo-subscription model. (You pay for one year of patches. If you ever reinstall on a new computer after a year, you lose all the patches.)

I, for one, will never pay to rent software - which is essentially what a subscription model is.

No, CL will not consider it. The decision they have made, is irreversible imo. I saw several companies doing so. They will lose some customers, but gain new ones. They don't care, which is a slap in a face of those loyal ones, who have invested annualy.

You can still buy PD separately, but if you would like to get AD and CD too, it gets quite pricey. Not to mention content packs.

There is only one company, which in my eyes, does the cloud quite well. It is on1. You pay annualy, you receive a training, bonuses on a monthly basis, special support. And their product license is included. So when you decide to stop paying, you are at least left with the latest version of their SW. The other cloud wannabies will just left you in the water.
x64 [Avatar]
[Post New]

There is only one company, which in my eyes, does the cloud quite well. It is on1. You pay annualy, you receive a training, bonuses on a monthly basis, special support. And their product license is included. So when you decide to stop paying, you are at least left with the latest version of their SW. The other cloud wannabies will just left you in the water.

You hit the nail on the head. I hope that other vendors starts to see what on1 is doing and follow suite.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not sure why anyone would care about this. Market has completley shifted in the past few years.

You can download Resolve 15 and completely replace everything this offers except PhotoDirector - which isn't exactly that great, either.

The MSRP of Director Suite was $299+.

The only way for them to compete in the market, offering considerably less powerful software with worse performance and scalability, was to sell it at a constant discount of 40-60%.

They didn't see that as a viable option moving forward. They also want to shift more of their profits to services, clearly, which means they want to get users hooked on (read: locked-in) CyberLink Cloud...

Because just using the user's OneDrive, DropBox, or Google Drive wasn't good (read: profitable) enough...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2018 12:30

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote To add my 2 cents to this discussion for Marketing, the reason that I came from Magix to CyberLink's PD was because Magix decided to go to a pseudo-subscription model. (You pay for one year of patches. If you ever reinstall on a new computer after a year, you lose all the patches.)

Solution seems simple...

Save the patch installation files

Just abck them up to a Thumb Drive, or Cloud Storage.

I do the same for all of my software. You never know when a company or product is sold and the download links die, anyways...

Good example of this was Nik Collection that was free from Google. DXO decided to release a paid update, and all the free download links are Google and DXO disappeared...

But I still have my backup installer!

Always backup all Installers, Content Packs, and Patch installers.

Lots of companies only give you limited access to the installation files, anwyays.
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Seems simple enough. But some manufacturers make it hard/impossible to capture/save update files.