Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Normalize button grayed out
mamethot [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2008 19:13 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Just upgraded to V8 yesterday. Unfortunately, the Normalize button is grayed out and I can't seem to find why.

Ideas?

Marc Marc-Antoine
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe as simple as a range has not been selected. Did you move the orange selection icons on the side of the timeline scrubber to select a range of audio to normalize?

Jeff
mamethot [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Maybe as simple as a range has not been selected. Did you move the orange selection icons on the side of the timeline scrubber to select a range of audio to normalize?

Jeff

Thanks for posting. the entire clip was selected. I have done it numerous times with older versions. I am able to boost or compress or apply effects, but normalize isnt available... Marc-Antoine
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Strange, I've not seen that. Does it become available with multiple tracks selected in the "Mix" room vs just a single track? What version and version type are you running? I'm not aware of AD being limited in any version I've had.

Jeff
mamethot [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Strange, I've not seen that. Does it become available with multiple tracks selected in the "Mix" room vs just a single track? What version and version type are you running? I'm not aware of AD being limited in any version I've had.

Jeff

After retesting I found that the file needs to be recorded in stereo.

I used my file, produced it as a stereo without any other mods and I was able to normalize.

The same mono file is normalized in Audacity. Maybe a bug? Marc-Antoine
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The same mono file is normalized in Audacity. Maybe a bug?

Probably not, maybe more just terminology or semantics. To normalize a mono track is essentially just a change to the amplitude, volume knob. So to normalize a mono channel has really little meaning. With stereo, normalization scans the entire signal to find the loudest peak, then adjusts each sample accordingly on each channel.

Glad you got it resolved.

Jeff
Prizm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2007 09:07 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
It doesn't matter if a file is mono or stereo, Normalize should work for both regardless. It's an easy way to maximize the waveform without clipping the audio. Otherwise you have to do trial and error by manually adjusting the volume, making sure it doesn't go over 0 dB.
mamethot [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It doesn't matter if a file is mono or stereo, Normalize should work for both regardless. It's an easy way to maximize the waveform without clipping the audio. Otherwise you have to do trial and error by manually adjusting the volume, making sure it doesn't go over 0 dB.

I am not that knowledgeable in sound processing, but that was my reaction too. Especially since Audacity allows normalizing on mono recordings.
Maxion [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 10, 2019 13:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys...hope question is appropriate in this forum..just purchased Power2GO 12 ...and noticed the Normalize option is missing recording Audio CD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hey guys...hope question is appropriate in this forum..just purchased Power2GO 12 ...and noticed the Normalize option is missing recording Audio CD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

No, you're in the wrong forum. Please post in the Power2Go forum where the right people will see it.