Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Original Images Replaced with Low-Resolution Temp Files when Producing?
[Post New]
OK -- hoping somebody can help me out here as the content I'm producing with PowerDirector 16 is of unacceptable quality.

I'm importing high-resolution still files (4032x3024) into my project and mixing them with video on my timeline. Most of the images I will add some fixes/effects. Over time as I work on a project I notice that the image quality gets serioulsy degraded. Clicking on the "View Properites" for these images show that PD has created low-resolution tmp files in the \Cache\TmpPhotos folder. These files are varied in size, but are all pretty small in size (982x652). This bugged me because it made it difficult to eyeball additional changes to the files, BUT... then I realized that PowerDirector was actually using the low-rez files when I produced the timeline! It actually upscales the low-res files to my final output size. This is definitely the case for "Produce Range". I haven't confirmed it to be true for Producing the entire timeline, but I suspect this is the case.

Anybody else have this problem? This seems like a major deal.

EDIT: I figured out the problem -- see below.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 25. 2018 18:13

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote OK -- hoping somebody can help me out here as the content I'm producing with PowerDirector 16 is of unacceptable quality.

I'm importing high-resolution files (4032x3024) into my project and mixing them with video on my timeline. Most of the images I will add some fixes/effects. Over time as I work on a project I notice that the image quality gets serioulsy degraded. Clicking on the "View Properites" for these images show that PD has created low-resolution tmp files in the \Cache\TmpPhotos folder. These files are varied in size, but are all pretty small in size (982x652). This bugged me because it made it difficult to eyeball additional changes to the files, BUT... then I realized that PowerDirector was actually using the low-rez files when I produced the timeline! It actually upscales the low-res files to my final output size. This is definitely the case for "Produce Range". I haven't confirmed it to be true for Producing the entire timeline, but I suspect this is the case.

Anybody else have this problem? This seems like a major deal.

Could it be that you have shadow files selected? Preferences - General - Enable Shadow Files. Uncheck if you dont want to use them.

If you dont use them, be aware your PC may struggle
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Your original video is also non-standard in size and dimension. Probably not video from a camcorder. (If so, which camcorder model is producing it?)

If this is video recorded from a computer screen using some software like FRAPS then there are other issues to consider.

The program can not edit non-standard video formats and sizes natively.
[Post New]
I do use shadow files -- but that only affects video and not stills.

And yes, I'm talking about imported stills, not irregular camcorder footage. (I editted for clarity.)

But... I figured it out and it does seem to be a bug.

The low-res temp file is created and used whenever I select the "Lighting Adjustment" under Fix/Enhance. As soon as I check that box it creates the low-rez file with any other current adjustments and incorporates it into the project and uses it in final output. If I uncheck this option, the original file is restored.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 25. 2018 18:19

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
JamalG, I don't think this is common. Can you attach a file that this occurs with and a pic of the timeline and what "Preview Quality" you are using and a few instructions on how to repeat the issue you see? If multiple users can repeat the anomaly maybe CL will have a look at the issue.

Jeff
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm that behaviour. And, as far as I can see, PD16 really uses the small tmp-photo for rendering.
I really do not know, why and I did not find any setting, that can be used to prevent that.
Only workaround: avoid "Lighting Adjustment" and "Apply Re-Focus".
Both replaces the original Photo with the small cached photo.
Caching is ok for speed while editing, but for rendering, the original has be used.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have confirmed this issue on my system and have raised it for CyberLink's attention.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
[Post New]
Thanks all.

Just to be specific for all those who wish to re-create:

Add a video to timeline (probably optional).
Add a high-rez photo.
Select that photo and then click Fix/Enhance and select "Lighting Adjustment"
Now select "view properties" of photo on timeline and look at new path and size attributes.

Just for kicks, I tracked down the low-rez file in the cache file and added a huge red X to it via Photoshop. Back in PowerDirector I Produced the project and sure enough the red X appears in the final output. Unchecking "Lighting Adjustment" for that photo restores the image to its original size/resolution and withouth the red X.

- JG