Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Scratch Disk
LaJollaSal [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2018 10:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have just had a computer built for video editing. It has a dedicated "Scratch Disk"
I have used Adobe photoshop for over 20 years. But, I am totally new to Power Director. Where, what and how do I set up Power Director to use my scratch disk and not the disk that actually has the program files.
Thank you.
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
I can't imagine that PowerDirector would perform more efficiently or faster if you had a dedicated scratch disc drive.

And I don't know any way to set one up for this program.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
..... Where, what and how do I set up Power Director to use my scratch disk and not the disk that actually has the program files.
Thank you.

Hi,

I can confirm that there is no user defined scratch disc choice in PDR16.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
LaJollaSal [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2018 10:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Hi,

I can confirm that there is no user defined scratch disc choice in PDR16.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This is very sad. I think that is something PowerDirector should consider adding for those that have something like a "scratch disk." I am still going to see if I can figure out a work around.

Thank you both for your quick reply.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
LaJollaSal, I think the correct answer depends on what your definition of a "Scratch Disk" is in PD16 context. For virtually anything of significant size PD16 creates a series of hidden folders (scratch) in the "Export folder:" location specified in pref for each PD session. These scratch folders/files can be for many different aspects of editing such as:
1) ShadowEditFiles
2) Preview Cache Files
3) BeatCache
4) PID

Just a few of the many possibilities. Modifing this location to any reasonable I/O capable device will have no significant change in editing performance if that's your "Scratch Disk" objective.

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote LaJollaSal, I think the correct answer depends on what your definition of a "Scratch Disk" is in PD16 context. For virtually anything of significant size PD16 creates a series of hidden folders (scratch) in the "Export folder:" location specified in pref for each PD session. These scratch folders/files can be for many different aspects of editing such as:
1) ShadowEditFiles
2) Preview Cache Files
3) BeatCache
4) PID

Just a few of the many possibilities. Modifing this location to any reasonable I/O capable device will have no significant change in editing performance if that's your "Scratch Disk" objective.

Jeff

Everything that is temporary and not part of the application installation should be able to be set to go to a scratch disk, or a directory of your choosing (i.e. for Project Files).

NVMe storage is expensive. I'd rather not wear mine out writing GBs upon GBs of render cache data to it. Many people run a 250GB NVMe System Drive with a 512GB-1TB SATA3 SSD for Storage and Scratch, and additionally 7,200 RPM Drives or a RAID for Media Storage. It's bad to cache to the OS drive.

This will bottleneck HDD systems, and it will trash your SSD endurace due to tons of NAND writes.

The warranty on many SSDs is X Years or Y TBW of Endurace, whichever comes first. Some SSDs will automatically disable writes to the drive when the TBW rating is exceeded (as some Intel SSDs have been known to do).

This is a legitimate issue. It can Out-of-Warranty a system drive early due to all this temp data being written to it, non-configurably.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2018 02:07

iammykyl [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Brisbane. Australia. Joined: Sep 02, 2018 06:23 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Gday.
Just purchased PowerDirector6, so a beginner.
I will see if it is possible to move the Project directory to a RAId 0.
May take me a few weeks to get going. iammykyl
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
No, not a week. Just a few minutes.
Have a look for "junction" in the googling machine of your choice.
With that little help, I "rerounded" the directories to a better place.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
iammykyl [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Brisbane. Australia. Joined: Sep 02, 2018 06:23 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Quote No, not a week. Just a few minutes.
Have a look for "junction" in the googling machine of your choice.
With that little help, I "rerounded" the directories to a better place.

Hatti

Thanks for the info, will keep it in mind. iammykyl