Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector does not like non-standard videos
Pavel_Kolotilov
Newbie Location: Oslo, Norway Joined: Jan 10, 2016 13:29 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I looked throught the forum, but could not find a similar topic.

I noticed that if I add vertical videos (for example, 1080x1920 instead of 1920x1080) to the media, powerdirector starts playing them in the prevew pane and immediately freezes and has to be restared. So, in order to use them these videos have to be recoded into the "accepted sizes" in other programs.

Does that sound familar? Is it a bug or a "feature"?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09. 2018 08:16

Best regards,

Pavel Kolotilov
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
No, no feature nor a known bug.
What kind of video clips? Where from? Is it possible to upload a sample clip anywhere and provide the link?
Stats of your comp (DxDiag)?

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Pavel_Kolotilov
Newbie Location: Oslo, Norway Joined: Jan 10, 2016 13:29 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Right now I had problems with the clips from iphone 8 saved vertically (when you turn the phone vertically). In the same time, the clips made in horizontal mode do not give any problems. Also happend with another clip from another source saved "vertically". I will try to provide a clip later.

First of all, I will try to play with hardware acceleration to see if problem is there.... Best regards,

Pavel Kolotilov
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
iPhone video uses a variable frame rate, which is causing all sorts of problems for video editing programs. It's by no means a problem unique to PowerDirector.

You can certainly resolve it by running the video through the free download HandBrake. I show you how to convert it to a constant frame rate video in this tutorial and all of your issues will go away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSVarfrhr1M

Otherwise video editing apps wil likely incorporate variable frame rate support in their newer versions.

It's just another example of Apple "improving" their product in a way that left their users scrambling to find support.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 10. 2018 08:01

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pavel_Kolotilov -

I've imported & edited 9:16 videos from iPhone 5, 6, 7, 8 & X and iPad using PDR16, both separately & combined with clips from other cameras... never had an issue, variable frame rate & all.

I can't think what the cause of your problem might be.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!