Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can pd8+ put a white outline on an image?
Trekz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 16, 2016 00:32 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
After using background removal tool, is there any way I can add a white outline to the cut out image like in photoshop?

Here's what I'm looking to do in pd8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-9P99fNCc
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I can't remember if this was in PD8 but in PD9 you can add a border to the picture using the effects in layers. It tends to follow the contours of the object, exaggerating the curves.

If you have a steady hand you could draw it, again if that's available in PD8.

I don't think either will be exactly what you want.

Phil
[Post New]
Hello Trekz and Phil,

I can't see a way that could be done in PhD, certainly not as neatly as the example video showed.

Personally, I'd be using Photoshop or another graphics application that is designed for that purpose. You'd be more likely to get the result you're after.

Even the free Paint.NET has plug-ins that will insert an outline or drop shadow on an "object".

To explain the images below:

1. Original photo

2. Background removed in either PhD or other software

3. "Outline Object" applied in Paint.NET then added as new layer in PhD

4. "Drop Shadow" applied in Paint.NET the added as new layer in PhD

PIX YouTube channel
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I found it made some nice effects in PhD but certainly not what was required by Trekz.

Phil
Trekz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 16, 2016 00:32 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Trekz and Phil,

I can't see a way that could be done in PhD, certainly not as neatly as the example video showed.

Personally, I'd be using Photoshop or another graphics application that is designed for that purpose. You'd be more likely to get the result you're after.

Even the free Paint.NET has plug-ins that will insert an outline or drop shadow on an "object".

To explain the images below:

1. Original photo

2. Background removed in either PhD or other software

3. "Outline Object" applied in Paint.NET then added as new layer in PhD

4. "Drop Shadow" applied in Paint.NET the added as new layer in PhD

Thanks everyone...Hopefully they can add in in the next pd