Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Metadata & EXIF
Sharky [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 08, 2010 22:23 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I recently upgraded from PhotoDirector 7 to 8 when I purchased Media Suite 15, I was hoping the ability to search and sort based on lens info within the "EXIF" or "Metadata" would be included.

Lens data does not show up in "Metadata" although it does exist in the "EXIF" file both in raw "DNG" files and "JPG" files!

Is there a way to edit the lens data so that it is available in the "METADATA" using PhotoDirector 8?

Please see attached screen captures.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F9sxvSbEMFeBlAT5dI7bsLTI9CuqhNUs/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nqSRsw0bAOpHMeRQX0b5oOlbpRihW6Vr/view?usp=sharing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2018 13:04

[Post New]
Hello Sharky,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

What you're seeing is not typical for PhotoDirector. Generally, if camera & lens information is list in EXIF it will appear in PhD's Metadata tab.

Using a selection of Pentax sample files here, I observe the same thing with particular cameras, the K-70 & K645Z included. This issue is not particular to PhD, from what I've read. With some Pentax cameras, the lens information isn't even listed in EXIF. This occurs even in Pentax's own Pentax Digital Camera Utility.

Here's one thread where the problem is discussed.

The variables are (a) how the camera writes the camera & lens data & (b) how photo software interprets it.

It is true that Pentax photos which don't display lens data in PhD do in Adobe Lr, so there's an issue that CL needs to address. I'll make sure this is reported to the development team. It is also true that ExifTool reads the lens data correctly from K-70 DNGs as "smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR".

I'll need to investigate further before suggesting any possible temporary fix.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Sharky [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 08, 2010 22:23 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Sharky,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

What you're seeing is not typical for PhotoDirector. Generally, if camera & lens information is list in EXIF it will appear in PhD's Metadata tab.

Using a selection of Pentax sample files here, I observe the same thing with particular cameras, the K-70 & K645Z included. This issue is not particular to PhD, from what I've read. With some Pentax cameras, the lens information isn't even listed in EXIF. This occurs even in Pentax's own Pentax Digital Camera Utility.

Here's one thread where the problem is discussed.

The variables are (a) how the camera writes the camera & lens data & (b) how photo software interprets it.

It is true that Pentax photos which don't display lens data in PhD do in Adobe Lr, so there's an issue that CL needs to address. I'll make sure this is reported to the development team. It is also true that ExifTool reads the lens data correctly from K-70 DNGs as "smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR".

I'll need to investigate further before suggesting any possible temporary fix.

PIX

Thanks for your quick response PIX!

I have found a workaround for this problem for now until Cyberlink can possibly fix it.

My fix was to use EXIFTOOL to modify original file using the "EXIF:lensinfo from maker notes" this can also create a backup file with the EXIF data "updated" which I then re-imported back to Ph Director 8.

Please see screen shots they may be a little more informative.
[Thumb - For Cyberlink 1.JPG]
 Filename
For Cyberlink 1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
First Screen shot from EXIFGUI program
 Filesize
196 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - For Cyberlink 3.JPG]
 Filename
For Cyberlink 3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Final screen shot in PD 8 after re-import.
 Filesize
136 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - For Cyberlink 2.JPG]
 Filename
For Cyberlink 2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
After modified EXIF data in EXIFGUI
 Filesize
196 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Post New]
Excellent workaround Sharky I applied it to a number of samples here from Pentax K-70, K-1, K3-ii, K645D & K645Z & it's effective.

For members faced with similar issues, where metadata isn't shown in PhD, here is a link to download ExifToolGUI. Unfortunately the application is no longer supported with updates.

If you're unfamiliar with its use, as I was, here is the manual & here is a written & illustrated tutorial.

Despite the workaround, it still rather begs the question: Why does the lens information show in EXIF viewers & some other software, but not in PhD & not under "Lens Info" in ExifToolGUI?

Hopefully, the team at CL can look into the issue & resolve it for PhD/Pentax users.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 01. 2018 14:39

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Has this been fixed in PD above version 9?

I was thinking of upgrading to version 10.
[Post New]
Hello SharkyCA,

The issue of lens data not being displayed correctly (i.e. at all) with some Pentax cameras has been fixed in PhD10, but not in previous versions.

I say fixed, but should say partially fixed. Lens data is displayed for .JPG & .DNG files, but not for .PEF (the ones I checked, at least).

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello SharkyCA,

The issue of lens data not being displayed correctly (i.e. at all) with some Pentax cameras has been fixed in PhD10, but not in previous versions.

I say fixed, but should say partially fixed. Lens data is displayed for .JPG & .DNG files, but not for .PEF (the ones I checked, at least).

PIX

I have been using PD 10 and my lens data (exif) has been correctly displayed until today, I updated my PD 10 yesterday and received a new lens today.

First pics no EXIF data, I had to revert to what I was doing before as per my previous posts re "EXIF TOOL" pre process.

Any suggestions the lens is Pentax HD DA 35 MACRO LIMITED.
[Thumb - Apple.jpg]
 Filename
Apple.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
849 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello SharkyCA,

I can confirm that PhD10, updated to build 2509, displays lens data correctly for the sample files I’ve tested from PENTAX K-70 & 645Z. I don’t have any photos shot using the HD DA 35 Macro Limited, so am unable to confirm your observation.

Could you please upload an original photo shot with that lens, either as an attachment or to a shared file site? I assume you’re using the same camera.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello SharkyCA,

I can confirm that PhD10, updated to build 2509, displays lens data correctly for the sample files I’ve tested from PENTAX K-70 & 645Z. I don’t have any photos shot using the HD DA 35 Macro Limited, so am unable to confirm your observation.

Could you please upload an original photo shot with that lens, either as an attachment or to a shared file site? I assume you’re using the same camera.

PIX

Yes still the same camera but a new lens, the other 2 lenses show up with no problem and was working ok,I have taken the liberty of escalating to a support ticket on this Pix.

Ticket # cs0001985545

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2019 21:23