Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No auto refresh rate change (match refresh rate to FPS)??
EB1000 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2018 21:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I'm giving a try to PowerDVD v18 (latest version trial). My PC is i7 8700k 32GB DDR4, GTX-1060 6GB, running Win10 64bit latest version. I wanted to try WinDVD for the 3D bluray support, and it worked OK. However, noticed serios judder when playing HD video files from my library. I also have Kodi 17.6 installed on same PC. With kodi there is an option to change refresh rate to match video content. This forces 24Hz for movies (HDMIof GTX-1060 connected to AV reciver which is connected to Sony TV that shows 1080P/24p when kodi changes refresh rate. At this settings movie is very smooth with no judder at all. The same goes for Jriver media player. But not with PowerDVD.Video is played always at 60Hz. No True full screen or direct hardware access like kodi.

Tried running PowerDVD with admir rights, no change. Could not find a setting that will force refresh rate change..

What am I missing here? Makes no sence for such widely aclaimed media player not to provide such basic feature that is available on must freeware solutions

Please advice (if this will be fixed, I will definatly buy the full version).

Thanks
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Serious juddering?
It does not happen on my PC even playing a 4K 24 fps video.
(My PC monitor applies 60 Hz screen refresh rate.)

powerdvd does not have the auto refresh rate changing featue for video file playback, but only for movie discs (e.g. Blu-ray, DVD).

Yes, at technical wise, the perfect match is "Play a 24fps video using 24 Hz screen refresh rate".
But, if any of your player program plays the videos with "SERIOUS" juddering because of the monitor applies the standard 60Hz screen refresh rate.
There are probably something wrong on your GPU driver and Windows.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 17. 2018 22:17

EB1000 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2018 21:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Serious juddering?
It does not happen on my PC even playing a 4K 24 fps video.
(My PC monitor applies 60 Hz screen refresh rate.)

powerdvd does not have the auto refresh rate changing featue for video file playback, but only for movie discs (e.g. Blu-ray, DVD).

Yes, at technical wise, the perfect match is "Play a 24fps video using 24 Hz screen refresh rate".
But, if any of your player program plays the videos with "SERIOUS" juddering because of the monitor applies the standard 60Hz screen refresh rate.
There are probably something wrong on your GPU driver and Windows.

Thanks. The judder is very noticeable durring camera panning mostly. However, its completly gone when using other players like kodi or MPC-HC which also support refresh rate change.

Now seriously, PowerDVD has been in development since the 90's. v18 after 30 years in the making and they couldt implement such basic and very importent feature that is avaiable in most free software? This is very disapointing. I its done for DVD and BD playback, no reason it wouldnt be available for file playback.. Anyway, its their loss...
Johann-Baptist [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2007 17:46 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks. The judder is very noticeable durring camera panning mostly. However, its completly gone when using other players like kodi or MPC-HC which also support refresh rate change.

Now seriously, PowerDVD has been in development since the 90's. v18 after 30 years in the making and they couldt implement such basic and very importent feature that is avaiable in most free software? This is very disapointing. I its done for DVD and BD playback, no reason it wouldnt be available for file playback.. Anyway, its their loss...

Hi folks,
the auto adjust feature for file playback was available until incl. PowerDVD 15. So, this is either a "side effect" or the reason is non-technical.
Cheers
Andrew333 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2016 12:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I have the same problem where 4k video files recorded at 24 hz only play in "high performance mode" at 60 hz which causes them to judder as the frame rate does not match. How do you disable the frequency switching in PowerDVD 18 so that the system refresh rate can be maintained at 24 hz to avoid this problem?
Thanks.
Johann-Baptist [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, I'm not sure that I understand your issue. However: If the movie was recorded with 23.98 fps, your monitor (or beamer) needs to run with this frame rate if you want smooth playback without AI manipulations like TrueTheater Motion. The typical PC-Monitor unfortunalty only supports 60 or 59 Hz - end of story. So, first question: Does your monitor support 23,98 fps? If yes: enter 23 into the Nvidia/AMD/Intel config to switch manually (NOT 24!!! thanks to the programmer who only allowed integers :). Cheers, Johann
Andrew333 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2016 12:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I'm not sure that I understand your issue. However: If the movie was recorded with 23.98 fps, your monitor (or beamer) needs to run with this frame rate if you want smooth playback without AI manipulations like TrueTheater Motion. The typical PC-Monitor unfortunalty only supports 60 or 59 Hz - end of story. So, first question: Does your monitor support 23,98 fps? If yes: enter 23 into the Nvidia/AMD/Intel config to switch manually (NOT 24!!! thanks to the programmer who only allowed integers :). Cheers, Johann

Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply. To clarify the 4K HDR videos are recorded at 23.98 fps. Both my beamer and TV support this frequeny at 4K HDR. My PC graphics settings are set to 23.98 fps but PowerDVD 18 keeps switching it to 60 hz, hence the juddering. Is it possible to stop PowerDVD 18 from changing the refresh rate?
Many thanks.
Johann-Baptist [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply. To clarify the 4K HDR videos are recorded at 23.98 fps. Both my beamer and TV support this frequeny at 4K HDR. My PC graphics settings are set to 23.98 fps but PowerDVD 18 keeps switching it to 60 hz, hence the juddering. Is it possible to stop PowerDVD 18 from changing the refresh rate?
Many thanks.

F***. You may try to convert the blu-ray to MKV (via MakeMKV). PowerDVD does not automatically switch the frame rate for file playback (unfortunately as I find). Another q: Is your movie 3D?