Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timeline in PD 16
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
I purchased this progrom some time ago, and have tried to use it several times, being forced to go back to PD 12 every time. The problem is working with files in the timeline. For instance when I perform an edit on a file it takes forever for the timelined to reload so that I can work with it again. Sometimes I have to delete the file and reload it to be able to continue.

The files I use are .mpgs converted from wtvs from Windows Media Center, from which I'm removing commercials and lightly editing. Old, SD files, usually about 2800-3900 kbps.

My question-- Is there some setting in the program that I could change to alleviate this problem? Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I purchased this progrom some time ago, and have tried to use it several times, being forced to go back to PD 12 every time. The problem is working with files in the timeline. For instance when I perform an edit on a file it takes forever for the timelined to reload so that I can work with it again. Sometimes I have to delete the file and reload it to be able to continue.

The files I use are .mpgs converted from wtvs from Windows Media Center, from which I'm removing commercials and lightly editing. Old, SD files, usually about 2800-3900 kbps.

My question-- Is there some setting in the program that I could change to alleviate this problem?

Attempts to reinstall and upgrade PD16, to latest version.
In Preferences, enable, Enable Hardware Encodind, depending on the version of the video drivers it may be better to disable this.
Enable, Enable OpenCL Technology
See if shadow files are enabled.
This is good for files in HD or higher.
But in this case you should wait for the conversion process to complete, to make the timeline light for editing. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]

Attempts to reinstall and upgrade PD16, to latest version.
In Preferences, enable, Enable Hardware Encodind, depending on the version of the video drivers it may be better to disable this.
Enable, Enable OpenCL Technology
See if shadow files are enabled.
This is good for files in HD or higher.
But in this case you should wait for the conversion process to complete, to make the timeline light for editing.

Thanks for responding. I reinstalled PD 16 and followed all your suggestions plus a few more ideas of my own, and I'm afraid there's just no way I can get this program to work properly on my system. It takes me at least twice as long to perform the same edits on the same file as it does in PD 12.

Thanks for your suggestions. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Hi,

If you have to convert them anyway, have you tried converting to another format which might (for whatever reason) work better in PDR16?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
BillyR
[Post New]

Hi,

If you have to convert them anyway, have you tried converting to another format which might (for whatever reason) work better in PDR16?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks for contributing. Already tried a couple of different formats with the same results. I'm able to use PD 16 for one thing, though--importing ripped files from a DVD that I don't have to edit except for a slight sharpness adjustment to correct for softness resulting from resaving the file to another format (that nobody would notice but me), then batch processing them. The batch producer on PD 16 works a little better than the one on PD 12. Oh, and also synchronizing the audio with the video on some of these 50+ year old videos.

BTW, wonder if Taiwan has changed much since I was there in 1959?! Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
BillyR
[Post New]
Just to finally close this topic out, I've tried a third computer, a new Dell XPS 13 laptop I use for travel, probably the most powerful computer I've ever used, laptop or desktop, and although it's slightly better the timeline still loads 'way too slow after every edit. Of course, the 13" screen is too small for this purpose for me.

Although PD 16 works better in every other respect, the slow reloading is unacceptable to me, so I've reluctantly gone back to PD 12. Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

BR

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 21. 2018 11:50

Dell Precision 7510 Laptop