Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Turning a video into a template?
Bradu25 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2016 15:21 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, and sorry if this has been answered before, but if it has been I wasn't able to find it.

I am relatively new to this, and have spent this evening making an animated PiP sequence to use as a standard overlay in multiple videos. It is times, has motion and rotation and a few layers that work together. So basically it's not something I want to have to recreate each time I want to use it.

Now that I have made it, I don't know how to save it in a way which I can use it each time I want it as an overlay. Can I make this video into a transparent template? It's already transparent and if I place a video under it, it's perfect. I just need to be able to use it whenever I need it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello, and sorry if this has been answered before, but if it has been I wasn't able to find it.

I am relatively new to this, and have spent this evening making an animated PiP sequence to use as a standard overlay in multiple videos. It is times, has motion and rotation and a few layers that work together. So basically it's not something I want to have to recreate each time I want to use it.

Now that I have made it, I don't know how to save it in a way which I can use it each time I want it as an overlay. Can I make this video into a transparent template? It's already transparent and if I place a video under it, it's perfect. I just need to be able to use it whenever I need it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You can't save a PIP that contains video, but you can use "save as" with stills. The result will be in the PIP Objects room under the "custom" list Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Bradu25 [Avatar]
[Post New]

You can't save a PIP that contains video, but you can use "save as" with stills. The result will be in the PIP Objects room under the "custom" list
/quotePostId]

It's actually objects two objects that with motion and rotation. No way that I can save that as an standard overlay? I'm sure I'm not using the right terminology here. Lol

I suppose if I could even save it as a video with transparency... just not sure how to do that.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
You can't save a PIP that contains video, but you can use "save as" with stills. The result will be in the PIP Objects room under the "custom" list

It's actually objects two objects that with motion and rotation. No way that I can save that as an standard overlay? I'm sure I'm not using the right terminology here. Lol

I suppose if I could even save it as a video with transparency... just not sure how to do that.

You made this in PIP designer, Yes?

If you did, what happens if you choose "save as" in PIP designer?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2018 14:41

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Bradu25 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You made this in PIP designer, Yes?

If you did, what happens if you choose "save as" in PIP designer?

I didn't .I just dropped media into tracks and animated through keyframes.

I suppose I need to do it again in pip designer. Will that save my animation?

I suppose a workaround would be to render with a Green screen background and then use Chromakey when I wish to use it as an overlay?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2018 14:40

The Shadowman
[Post New]
It's difficult to say, not knowing what you are attempting.

Do something very quick, but similar in PIP designer and try using "save as" and see what happens. I suspect though that you are using some video and it will not work. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Bradu25 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It's difficult to say, not knowing what you are attempting.

Do something very quick, but similar in PIP designer and try using "save as" and see what happens. I suspect though that you are using some video and it will not work.

No, not a video. But two layers of png images, with two similar but different animations, so I couldn't get the PiP designer to work for me .

I just got it to work by laying it over a plain color image and producing as a video .Now I can Chromakey the background out and use it as an overlay as I hoped. Yay!

Thanks for the help!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Bradu25 -

I know you guys have already reached a conclusion, but I'll post anyway for future reference.

If you have 2 PiP objects interacting, as you do, each one (layer) can be saved as a separate PiP Object/Video Overlay template. The two templates are inserted & aligned on two separate tracks.

e.g. these two kokopelli guys are templates that interact separately...

That'll give you a much cleaner output than chroma-keying.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bradu25 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote G'day Bradu25 -

I know you guys have already reached a conclusion, but I'll post anyway for future reference.

If you have 2 PiP objects interacting, as you do, each one (layer) can be saved as a separate PiP Object/Video Overlay template. The two templates are inserted & aligned on two separate tracks.

e.g. these two kokopelli guys are templates that interact separately...

That'll give you a much cleaner output than chroma-keying.

Cheers - Tony

Thank you for that! I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Will definitely try that the next time. Unfortunately I started wrong and didn't want to lost what I had done.