Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Converting 16:9 to 9:16
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2017 11:14 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys

So I've got a fully completed project and video that was made in 16:9 and I now want to convert it to 9:16

However when I change this setting on PD for the project, it automatically makes the horizontal vid fit fully into the vertical bars, so there's huge black gaps at the top and bottom.

How can I make PD automatically zoom in to the centre of the original clip so it fully fillls the vertical screen? Aside from manually doing it of course - as my project is now dozens of tiny clips put together!

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/63858.page#295440

I see from this one there is a way, however this severely distorts the image PD creates and is completely unusable!
[Thumb - aspect ratio.JPG]
 Filename
aspect ratio.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 23. 2018 05:49

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
I understand that video produced in 16x9 should be produced in 16x9, and when viewed on your smartphone you should turn it horizontally XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
There is no way to do it automatically. But you can do it with the PiP Designer for one clip ("Scale" and "Position" in PiP Designer), copy the attributes and paste the attributes to the other clips.
My point of view: We see the world wider than high. Except using smartphones. There the world is higher than wide. frown I don't like the 9:16 mode.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2017 11:14 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There is no way to do it automatically. But you can do it with the PiP Designer for one clip ("Scale" and "Position" in PiP Designer), copy the attributes and paste the attributes to the other clips.
My point of view: We see the world wider than high. Except using smartphones. There the world is higher than wide. frown I don't like the 9:16 mode.

Hatti

Great thank you for clarifying - 9:16 isn't the most natural way but with Instagram now launching vertical videos, think it's likely we'll be seeing this much more frequently!

Quote I understand that video produced in 16x9 should be produced in 16x9, and when viewed on your smartphone you should turn it horizontally

Well this was extremely helpful and answered my question. Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 23. 2018 10:15