Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GoPro Hero 6 'Wide' lens profile changing Exposure/Contrast ?
[Post New]
I often edit videos shot using GoPro cameras. I've done this for years.
I've had many early versions of PD and used many GoPro's.

I'm currently using PD15 - May 2018 patch installed.
I'm currently using a GoPro Hero 6.

Now call me a heathen, but I've never before used lens correction - I didn't worry about the GoPro view of the world being slightly distorted. It is still a cracking action camera.

So just to see what lens correction would look like, I tried playing with the downloaded profile.
Hero 6 'Wide', and just for fun, I downloaded all other Hero profiles...
(Well, I've got the 4K camera, the uber-computer to play with 4K and a 4K telly - so why not produce like a 'pro' ?)

I noticed that as soon as I used the 'wide' profile (And any other GoPro for that matter), then the sky was suddenly 'Washed Out' - The clouds vanished in a blur of white...
Now they weren't so prominent anyway, but I prefered the exposure/contrast before appying the lens correction profile.
I hadn't expected the exposure/contrast to change at all ! ? !

I had noticed that some time ago - before the Hero 6 'Wide' profile was available - that another user had recommended using the Rollei 7S profile for the Hero 6...
So I gave this a bash...
OK - So the mapping is a little different, but the Rollei lens profile didn't wash out the sky at all.
It seemed an imperfect lens correction - but the clouds remained intact.

2 attached photos show the difference (Top Left)

So - What am I missing here ?
What am I doing wrong ?
Why do I prefer the footage using the Rollei 7S profile instead of the 'Correct' Hero 6 wide profile ?

Anyone else noticed this ?

Cheers for reading - sorry it's long !

Gerry
[Thumb - LensProfileHero6Wide.jpg]
 Filename
LensProfileHero6Wide.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Hero 6 'Wide' lens profile
 Filesize
545 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
[Thumb - LensProfileRollei7S.jpg]
 Filename
LensProfileRollei7S.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Rollei 7S lens profile
 Filesize
563 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
To clarify, did the change happen when you changed a setting on the camera or when you made corrections in the software? What settings are you using to compare? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi GerryQ & James -

Gerry, I'm sure it's nothing you're missing or doing wrongly. I don't think that particular profile is built well at all. The same sort of thing happens with the GoPro Hero5 Black (Wide) profile. Lighter areas get blown out.

There's no reason a lens correction profile should be messing with colour like that.

Stick with a profile that does the job, I'd say.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can do the lens correction manually yourself in post. Apparently, the author of that particular GoPro profile may have applied too much vignette removal to compensate for less exposure at the edges at full aperture. If you feel that this is not the case then you may want to report this to Cyberlink support.
[Post New]
Quote To clarify, did the change happen when you changed a setting on the camera or when you made corrections in the software? What settings are you using to compare?

The difference happened in editing - the camera work was all finished...
I was working with the same clip in PD15...
I was wondering why the lens correction profile for the GoPro Hero 6 wide (The correct one for my camera) seemed to bleach out the sky, but the lens correction profile for the Rollei 7S didn't...
???
[Post New]
Quote Hi GerryQ & James -

Gerry, I'm sure it's nothing you're missing or doing wrongly. I don't think that particular profile is built well at all. The same sort of thing happens with the GoPro Hero5 Black (Wide) profile. Lighter areas get blown out.

There's no reason a lens correction profile should be messing with colour like that.

Stick with a profile that does the job, I'd say.

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony,
Many thanks for your reply.
This was my first attempt at lens correction.
I admit I was playing with a feature - 'Because it was there' .
I noticed a similar effect with the GoPro 5 profile, and other profiles - I tried them all !
I can't remember when I saw the comment re the Rollei 7S profile working with the Hero 6, but I can say I thought it was my favourite !
I'm going to use this for a while in editing my gravity racing clips - At least the start line looks straight (ish) as compared to a smiley face without any lens correction.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 20. 2018 05:28

[Post New]
Quote You can do the lens correction manually yourself in post. Apparently, the author of that particular GoPro profile may have applied too much vignette removal to compensate for less exposure at the edges at full aperture. If you feel that this is not the case then you may want to report this to Cyberlink support.

Hi Tomasc,
YES ! - Many thanks for your reply.
I now understand why you could get a bleached out circle appearing around the periphery of a lens correction profile...
Shame that the Hero 6 doesn't really suffer that badly from vignetting and under exposure around it's edges - Well, not in my admittedly limited use of it (Only had since Christmas).
So it may be that the Rollei 7S profile has a similar mapping for a similar focal length lens - but has less vignetting correction applied - hence my preference.
Many thanks Tomasc - I hadn't thought of any reason to mess around with exposure, but reading your comment, I can see why it could happen.
Gerry