Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector creates folders in "My Documents". That's for my documents (surprise!)
tjhorton [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 27, 2018 21:23 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I set all the preferences to put PowerDirector output into D:/video editing, but PowerDirector (and Microsoft Visual Studio and IIS) insist on creating folders for non-documents in My Documents folder. Why? Can it be changed? I can't see where.

My Documents folder is where I keep .... my documents (surprise!). I don't want programs spewing clutter into My Documents.

I also back up the folder every day or two, but THOUGHTLESS CARELESS TWITS WITH DIFFICULTY READING FOLDER NAMES think it's a reasonable place to leave unrelated entrails, as though we haven't configured a perfectly good place for it.

How do we keep Cyperlink barf out of My Documents (which is helpfully called My Documents, in case you forget)?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is a user-forum with very few Cyberlink visits, however you can raise a Support ticket and be sure to quote yourself in those big cap letters. Those "THOUGHTLESS CARELESS TWITS WITH DIFFICULTY READING FOLDER NAMES" should jump in and help any moment.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2018 18:33

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi tjhorton -

Ranting & name calling probably won't land you a result very quickly.

I don't know how to change the file destination for the folders & contents created by PDR & other CL software, but I understand why they're kept separate from Program Files. You would too.

You can globally change the drive where "documents" are stored in Settings > Storage, but that probably isn't what you're after.

There must be a mountain of "thoughtless, careless twits" in software development because (by default) similar folders with custom presets & files are created in Documents by Adobe, Camtasia, Microsoft, Corel, MAGIX, Serif & many more. They probably do that for the same reason, so that custom user files are not interfered with by any uninstall process.

If you only think of a document as a "text" thing, maybe it doesn't make sense to you. If you think of it as a "file" (i.e. a record of information), it should.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tjhorton [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 27, 2018 21:23 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
It is not a choice between Program Files and My Documents, for the love of thoughtless carless twits.

Yeah I shouldn't use names, but isn't this a bit offensively obvious? To microsoft and the other handful you mention?

Like a lot of people, I created a folder on a drive and configured PowerDirector to use it. All good. And it's not part of any install. Unfortunately, some part of PowerDirector not only ignores this, it knows better, chosing to mix it in with my business correspondence and billing records and taxes. Sure, it's a file, every file is a file, but it's #$%&@ not "My Documents".

Thanks guys. Support ticket opened: Question ID = CS001903805
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/inquiry-response-page.do?pId=CS001903805&m=tjhorton@hotmail.com

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2018 15:47