Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Tips to avoid poor results when assembling multiple clips with transitions, plus beat matching
JohnG777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2017 13:06 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Hello and thanks for reading this. I continue to encounter jerky and uneven results when assembling real estate ad videos.
I want smooth transitions from clip to clip, both stylistically (seques) and technically (nice cross-fades). I'm close to good style results, however the technical results are not so good. I have not discovered anything in the tutorials that gets to the problems I am seeing. Most of the tutorials address the basics, but not the issues I am having, so far as I have found.

I am using a Lenovo P70 with typically more than 40GB free space.

Here's my current routine. Maybe some of you can point out some things that I am doing that while they make sense to me, may be unfortunate actions with PowerDirector15.

I have a variety of clips with scenes shot with a drone. In post I often want to reverse some clips for a nicer seque. Sometimes I want to speed up a clip. Sometimes slow one down. I typically like to use a basic Fade from one clip to the next. I also find that the fade effect is too long for my tastes, so I try to shorten the default fade length using the visual UI (click and drag to shorten).

Problems seen: a) an odd and annoying little bump in the video just after a fade. b) jerkiness from frame to frame in a clip that has been slowed down or reversed.

There are more problems when I attempt to sync to the beat of a soundtrack. Sometimes there are "more than 25" which freezes my laptop when Wave Editor opens, a technical problem I have reported to Cyberlink (not resolved yet, however I have not done all of the suggested fixes yet). After I delete some of the beat markers, I now have a challenge of what is the best way to "stretch" or "shorten" one clip after another from start to finish of the video to match the nearest beat markers to the junction of two clips. This is more difficult if attempted after applying the (cross) Fade effect.

Sometimes I appear to "get lucky" and a transition works like it should. Other times not. More not than should, lately. I must have fallen in to an unfortunate routine when using PD15.

I'm open to suggestions, as the song goes. There's probably a sequence of Best Practices that would avoid the problems I an experiencing. What appears like it should work, does not, or not well. What I see is not always what I get.

Thanks for reading.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
It would be good to provide maybe a youtube video to see whats going on. "A little bump" is not enough.

1. For slowing down/speeding up a clip, make it with an integer multiple of your desired result. Hmpf, sounds not good, does it? I dont know mathematics in english : Ok, example: You want to have a resulting video of 30fps. So make your clip 30fps (no slow down), 60fps (1/2 slow down), 120fps (1/4 slow down) and so on. Doing it not will result in jerkyness. If you have a 30fps clip and you slow it down to half the duration, PowerDirector will throw away half of the frames. That results in a 15fps video clip. Uhhhh. The same with speeding up. If you have a 30fps video, and you speed it up, PowerDirector has to "invent" new frames, this is mostly done by duplication a frame. PD16 can "smooth" such a slow down/speeding up, but it is not a very good alghorithm. PD15 cannot smooth speed changes in any way.

2. Try to deactivate hardware acceleration. That results in longer render time, but quality before time...

No more ideas now. Show us an example.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
JohnG777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It would be good to provide maybe a youtube video to see whats going on. "A little bump" is not enough.

1. For slowing down/speeding up a clip, make it with an integer multiple of your desired result. Hmpf, sounds not good, does it? I dont know mathematics in english : Ok, example: You want to have a resulting video of 30fps. So make your clip 30fps (no slow down), 60fps (1/2 slow down), 120fps (1/4 slow down) and so on. Doing it not will result in jerkyness. If you have a 30fps clip and you slow it down to half the duration, PowerDirector will throw away half of the frames. That results in a 15fps video clip. Uhhhh. The same with speeding up. If you have a 30fps video, and you speed it up, PowerDirector has to "invent" new frames, this is mostly done by duplication a frame. PD16 can "smooth" such a slow down/speeding up, but it is not a very good alghorithm. PD15 cannot smooth speed changes in any way.

2. Try to deactivate hardware acceleration. That results in longer render time, but quality before time...

No more ideas now. Show us an example.

Hatti

Thanks for the insight on speed adjustment. It is odd that PD15 presents a control for tiny adjustments of speed, yes? But I understand your point about multiples of fps.

Here is a YouTube video with an example of some of the problems I am seeing. As I say in the Description, the "bump" happens soon after the end of the Fade effect. (When I apply the Fade effect, I drag the object over the line that indicates where two clips meet (not on one side or the other, but evenly across the line).

I have disabled HA, however the problem is still visible.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 25. 2018 00:45

Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I see the bump. In PD - yes. You don't work with your "original" footage. Is it also in the produced clip?

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
JohnG777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I see the bump. In PD - yes. You don't work with your "original" footage. Is it also in the produced clip?

Hatti

Not sure what you mean by: "You don't work with your "original" footage." I import mp4 video files into PD, then use the imported files. (The original files are safe in a source folder.)

The bump is in the produced clip.
Hatti
[Post New]
"You don't work with your "original" footage." means, that PD imports your footage and internally converts it for an optimized presentation, so you can edit it. (shadow files, preview quality). So if you have an effect within PD, it is not necessarily in your original footage, nor in the produced result. Sometimes, the edited clip cannot be presented in real time. That results in bumps in preview.

"The bump is in the produced clip.": Uhh, then my only advice is to deactivate hardware acceleration while producing.

JohnG777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote "You don't work with your "original" footage." means, that PD imports your footage and internally converts it for an optimized presentation, so you can edit it. (shadow files, preview quality). So if you have an effect within PD, it is not necessarily in your original footage, nor in the produced result. Sometimes, the edited clip cannot be presented in real time. That results in bumps in preview.

"The bump is in the produced clip.": Uhh, then my only advice is to deactivate hardware acceleration while producing.

Hatti

Now I understand.
Thanks for thinking about the problem.
My next step will be to forward a link to this thread, to Cyperlink tech support and see if there is a response.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Couple of things:
Is the "bump" the same in the produced file as in the Youtube preview example, maybe post up a video of the produced file showing the bump for comparison?

Could you "mimic" the fade transition by placing the clips on different timelines and manually altering the opacity to achieve the same effect, instead of adding the fade transition to adjacent clips. This will isolate the fade transition from the equation??

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
JohnG777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Couple of things:
Is the "bump" the same in the produced file as in the Youtube preview example, maybe post up a video of the produced file showing the bump for comparison?

Could you "mimic" the fade transition by placing the clips on different timelines and manually altering the opacity to achieve the same effect, instead of adding the fade transition to adjacent clips. This will isolate the fade transition from the equation??

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks. Unfortunately I did not save the pds file or the Produce file after making the example.

I just now went to recreate the example... and no bump to be seen.

When I said earlier that I turned off Hardware Acceleration, it is possible that I did that later. Anyway, at the moment HA is Off, and I am unable to recreate the problem. Could be that HA is the root of my problems recently. (Perhaps there could have been an issue involving Malwarebytes?)
Hatti
[Post New]
Hardware a cceleration causing problems: definitely yes. Switch it off and many problems are gone.