Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
List of suggestions for a future version of PowerDirector
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
I know it is too late to add anything to PD 17, but here is a list of things that I feel would greatly add to PowerDirector 18 and beyond. Some may in fact be in PD17 when it is released (later this year?). I am currently using PD15.

In no particular order:

1. Save a default workspace! The default workspace only has 2 video tracks... My typical project uses at least 10 in some places.

2. The ability to move the rotation point for PiP objects (videos and images). Only being able to rotate from the center is sometimes limiting.

3. Hold a key to temporarily turn off snapping (if you have it set in preferences), either within the main timeline editor or within the PiP Designer. Sometimes this is bothersome.

4. Keyframing is great fun to play with, so why not make EVERYTHING in the various designers keyframeable? (color board color (ALL colors in fact!), shadow direction for text/objects, etc. If it has a value that can be modified, why not make that value changeable over time?

5. Some simple drawing tools would be REALLY useful. Nothing fancy. Even having just square, circle and line would be useful. And if the variables that define those shapes could be keyframeable, this would massively expand what you could do with the program!

6. More than one PiP object in the Designer, just like the Title Designer. This would make coordinating multiple objects MUCH easier!

7. Audio Scrubbing. Would make it much easier to sync motion of objects to parts of the audio.

8. Specify the number of times a video repeats on the the timeline. What I mean is, let's say I have a short video of a rocket ship spewing rocket exhaust and I want this to follow a "Motion Path" in the PiP room. It would be great if I could link the video to a motion path and then specify how many times to repeat the video as it "flies" around the screen following the path. Currently it's not possible to do this: The rocket video would play one time starting at the beginning of the motion path until the end has been reached.

9. Speaking of motion paths, why not make them reversible? Or, maybe even make them "ping pong". That is, play to the end of the path, then move the object (image/video) backwards along the path to the beginning (perhaps a set number of times. [I know that you don't want to get too far beyond the scope of what this program is intended for, so maybe just the reversibility for now?]

10. Can we set an option for the PiP object to rotate WITH the path as it follows it? (Think of a fish "swimming")

11. The ability to make paths from scratch? This would be great!

12. Ease in/Ease Out for some other variables, such as opacity?

13. Something I've never understood about the PiP Designer: Why do I have to click "stop" before I can move or modify anything, even if the video is paused? This is really annoying sometimes. When I am modifying keyframe elements from the main timeline (select object and click "keyframe"), I do not have to do that, so why is this required in the PiP Designer?

14. It would be helpful if it were possible to see the audio waveform for an element in the PiP Designer (to line up events with sections of the audio, for example)

15. One click to collapse all tracks in the PiP Designer. If you have a lot of elements and you add a new one, ALL of the tracks and their sub-elements (position, scale, etc) expand, meaning your newly added element might be way down the list.

16. The masking capability has improved over the years, but it still is not that easy to create a mask from scratch from within the program. One or both of the following options would be super helpful: Paint the mask directly from within the program (similar to the Paint Designer in the PiP Room) and/or use simple drawing tools to define an area for the mask from within the program. If it is a bezier type curve, making the points keyframeable over time would make almost any masking job possible!

17. Gradient fills on Color Boards.

18. Change the color of a color board after it has been created. This seems like an easy fix. And of course make the color board colors keyframeable! This is related to point number 2.

19. Once you have a motion path set up, why not allow the substitution of another graphic or video? I've had complicated motion set up only to realize that the graphic was unsuitable, requiring me to re-do all of the motion set up again with the new graphic. This would also be useful if you want two or more objects to follow the same path: You could create the first motion path with the first element, then copy that PiP object and modify it with a new graphic, one behiond the other!

20. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but if you import a project into your current project, and the imported project has a Power Tools option set on it (like video speed-up), that option is lost when you import it. You have to re-apply it to that clip.

21. Marquee-select more than one keyframe in the PiP Designer so that you can move more than one at a time across the timeline. Maybe even "resize" the distance between the keyframes?

22. I've noticed that the PiP interface is considerably slower than the main interface. If you hit the "." key multiple times in a row to move forward several frames, for example, it can take a second or more for each new frame to appear, whereas on the main timeline the change is almost instantaneous, even with considerably more complex elements.

23. If you move an object with the arrow keys within the PiP Designer, the values in the object properties to the left do not update properly. They only update if you move the object with the mouse.

24. "Render Preview" sometimes gets stuck at the end and just sits there forever. Clicking "Cancel" closes that small window and everythng seems to be okay, but I thought you might want to know about this.

25. It would be helpful if in the Particle Room, the variables of the particles (like under "Modify Parameters") had some description of what those values mean. For example, the "Life" is, what? The number of millisecs it stays on the screen? The default is 3750 and I have no idea what that number means.

26. For Start/End effects for titles (such as "fade"), etc, could we right click on that start or end section and manually set the duration?

27. Resize timeline tracks vertically in a similar way to how it is done horizontally?

28. Easy way to raise/lower entire clip volume. (If you click on the volume "line" on the clip, it thinks you want to create a new keyframe for the volume.) This would be useful for background music.

Well, this is all I can think of for now. Hopefully some of these are already being added to PD17.

Thanks for listening!
Russell1967 System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
There are some nice things... laughing
But I daubt, if someone from cyberlink will read it now.
Right after releasing PD17, there will be a thread with "wishes/suggestions for PD18".
So compare your wishlist with the feature list of PD17 and post the difference in that thread. smile

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There are some nice things... laughing
But I daubt, if someone from cyberlink will read it now.
Right after releasing PD17, there will be a thread with "wishes/suggestions for PD18".
So compare your wishlist with the feature list of PD17 and post the difference in that thread. smile

Hatti

Yeah, I wasn't sure when they post that suggestion list. I think the new version will probably be announced around September if it follows past history.

Russell1967 System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
I add as we have already done so many, remake section menu in the audio part.
Being able to choose the bitrate in create disc not only HQ and Smart fit..
The list of suggestions should always be open.

I'm pessimistic, Cyberlink does not listen.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 21. 2018 04:35

W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
Russell1967
[Post New]
I agree that "Smart fit" could be a bit smarter... It is definitely possible to fit an AVCHD movie onto a DVD-5 (single layer DVD) because I have other stand alone programs that can do it, and it looks perfectly fine...yet Smart Fit will not do it, saying that there isn't enough room, etc (there will be if the bitrate is reduced!).

Anyway, it's just a small complaint. Overall I find PD satisfactory for my needs 95% of the time. But there's always room for improvement.