Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Light leaks / film burns
Benjamin10 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 19, 2018 19:27 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum! Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

im trying to incorporate light leaks into my videos as transitions etc. I’m having trouble on powerdirector 13. I downloaded some light leaks and imported the videos to my project. Now how do I use them?

Videos for other editing programs explain i must set the light leak video to “screen”. But I cannot figure out how to do that in powerdirector.

Anyone know how to successfully do that? And any other tips for making the most out of light leaks / film flares?
Are newer powerdirectors better at this? (I use 13).
Thank you!!

Ben
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Wait for a sale, or find a coupon, it's easier to upgrade to a PD that has the Light Leak function. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
PD16 can use blendmodes. See screenshot.
In blend mode "screen", black does not affect the underlaying pixels. so it looks like black being transparent.

Hatti
[Thumb - blendmode.jpg]
 Filename
blendmode.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
221 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Benjamin10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Barrythecrab and Hatti!

I am working on a massive editing project/slideshow of a ton of family footage. I am about 75% done. If I upgrade to PD 16, can I transfer my project to PD 16 unchanged? Will I lose any of the work I’ve done?

I really appreciate all your help!
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Barrythecrab and Hatti!

I am working on a massive editing project/slideshow of a ton of family footage. I am about 75% done. If I upgrade to PD 16, can I transfer my project to PD 16 unchanged? Will I lose any of the work I’ve done?

I really appreciate all your help!

PD 16 will open files from previous versions, and your work should remain in the same folders as they are now which is probably PD Projects.

However if you create a file in PD16 don't expect to be able to open it in PD13.

Do keep both versions as sometimes it's useful to have the old version available.

Robert
Benjamin10 [Avatar]
[Post New]

PD 16 will open files from previous versions, and your work should remain in the same folders as they are now which is probably PD Projects.

However if you create a file in PD16 don't expect to be able to open it in PD13.

Do keep both versions as sometimes it's useful to have the old version available.

Robert

Thank you Shadowman! I have looked into and think it’s a good idea to upgrade to PD16. Just trying to decide between ultra and ultimate. Would ultra not have very many stock light leaks to use? I wonder if ultimate would have a lot more options for me. Also I wonder when the right time is to upgrade? I remember seeing advertising for 75% off versions in the past but I’m not sure when the big sales come on...or when PD 17 will come out...?
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
For a comparison between two version, have a look at:

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/compare-versions_en_EN.html

What do you mean by "stock lightleaks"? There is an effect, called "BCC Light Leaks" (BorisFX Lights, available only in the DirectorSuite, which I have - sorry) but that effect seems to me not to be usable as transition. I have some effects from 3rd party provider, very heavy light leaks, some of them could maybe be used as a transition.

When should you upgrade? Hmm, hard to say. I expect PD17 around september, but if PD17 is out, it's too late. If there is a good sale, I would say: now! :

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Thank you Shadowman! I have looked into and think it’s a good idea to upgrade to PD16. Just trying to decide between ultra and ultimate. Would ultra not have very many stock light leaks to use? I wonder if ultimate would have a lot more options for me. Also I wonder when the right time is to upgrade? I remember seeing advertising for 75% off versions in the past but I’m not sure when the big sales come on...or when PD 17 will come out...?

If the budget will the stand it, the Ultimate version give quite a lot more, see here. https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/compare-versions_en_GB.html

Have a look at the above comparison chart and judge what you need.

Robert
The Shadowman
[Post New]

If the budget will the stand it, the Ultimate version give quite a lot more, see here. https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/compare-versions_en_GB.html

Have a look at the above comparison chart and judge what you need.

Robert

@ Hatti

I seem to have duplicated your link to the comparison site. My apologies, I honestly didn't see it.

Robert
Benjamin10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you everyone! I have officially upgraded to PD 16. Now just can’t seem to get my colordirector connected to my powerdirector...
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Thank you everyone! I have officially upgraded to PD 16. Now just can’t seem to get my colordirector connected to my powerdirector...

Hi Benjamin

Tell us what happens if you highlight a clip, right click and select Edit/video image. Is there an option to select "Edit in ColouDirector". if its there, is it gray or black?

If its not there I would try reinstalling ColorDirector