Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
applying transitions to multiple images/clips at once
kosimek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 14, 2017 18:08 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I have a video of more than 1 hour of images/clips and wish to have the same transition between all of them.
I was unable to find a way of accomplishing this on this website although I found a workaround on Youtube.
Surely there has to be a better way to accomplish this than to apply transitions to a few hundred images one at a time

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 14. 2018 23:41

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The workaround on YT that you found is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi7XYm-uGcA . I am happy that the user shared what he found. Did you bother to read the PD16 Users Guide… In the transition room, click the Library menu button and a popup window appears to allow you to do that.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Innacurate post removed.

DOH! That's two mistakes I've made this year. laughing

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2018 06:08

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a video of more than 1 hour of images/clips and wish to have the same transition between all of them.
I was unable to find a way of accomplishing this on this website although I found a workaround on Youtube.
Surely there has to be a better way to accomplish this than to apply transitions to a few hundred images one at a time

Add transition, fade to all videos and photos on selected track in the timeline.
F8 key, opens the transitions room
Line below shows 4 Transition buttons.
Click the 3rd button, select in the option menu
see the video
 Filename
transition.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2388 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
180 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 15. 2018 17:55

kosimek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The workaround on YT that you found is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi7XYm-uGcA . I am happy that the user shared what he found. Did you bother to read the PD16 Users Guide… In the transition room, click the Library menu button and a popup window appears to allow you to do that.

@Tomasc
Thanks for responding. Perhaps I should have been clearer. The video is long and contains many images and clips, but I only wanted the transitions between groups of images. There is indeed a menu to apply a few available transitions to ALL images and clips in the entire video. There is no other option mentioned in the User Guide and even that one is listed as a mere Note on page 337.

I would have expected to be able to select the images between which I want a particular transition. It seems that my only option is to apply a limited number of transitions to all or none of the images and clips, not exactly the kind of flexible approach I expected.

I highlighted a series of images and tried to drag the desired transition on it , to no effect of course. That approach is what I would have expected.

I guess I will now have to go in and remove manually all the transitions I do not want. If there is something that comes close to what I want to achieve it is not in the User Manual, but if it is I would appreciate finding out where to find it. Thanks again.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for your clarification and feedback. One can use whatever works best at the moment. For the sake of other users, if one has a group of say 1 hour of clips/images that they want transition then place them on an empty timeline. Apply the library menu settings. You could use Tony’s method if a favorite transition is wanted. Save the project. Create or open an existing project and place the cursor where you want to place the saved project. Do a File/Insert Project. Continue with your editing or save this new project. This gives you another versatility on using transitions on a large group of files.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Couple of other refinements you might care to try? They may work for you.

Both of these use the "select whilst holding ctrl" to highlight groups of assets that are not necessarily sequential if that is what is needed. In effect forming a temporary group.

Using the Magic Motion workaround.

Set the type of transition in Preferences>Editing
Select the differing groups of assets using the select/ctrl key as above
Apply Magic Motion choice
This applies Magic Motion choice to the selected assets together with the chosen transition
Reset Magic Motion
Transition is left behind.

Repeat with differing asset selection and different transition if needed.

Using differing timelines

The usefulness of this depends on your workflow and processes, so it may not be suitable.
Select the assets by select/shift if assets are in sequence, or by select/ctrl if non-sequential, drag them to another time line, lock the remaining timelines, apply the transition of choice to all, unlock and then re-fit the clips to the original.

This does require a bit of moving assets on the timeline around as the transitions will alter the duration of the selected asset groups and they won't just slot back in but it might be useful??

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Using differing timelines - Select the assets by select/shift if assets are in sequence, or by select/ctrl if non-sequential, drag them to another time line, lock the remaining timelines, apply the transition of choice to all, unlock and then re-fit the clips to the original.

I'd say, with a lengthy timeline of mixed assets where transitions only need to be applied to images, the suggestion posted by PDR Moderator would be the most efficient.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
kosimek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for your clarification and feedback. One can use whatever works best at the moment. For the sake of other users, if one has a group of say 1 hour of clips/images that they want transition then place them on an empty timeline. Apply the library menu settings. You could use Tony’s method if a favorite transition is wanted. Save the project. Create or open an existing project and place the cursor where you want to place the saved project. Do a File/Insert Project. Continue with your editing or save this new project. This gives you another versatility on using transitions on a large group of files.

@Tomasc - That involves as much of a work-around as the Youtube video, which is in fact suggested as a solution by the PD Moderator. The fact that we have to use work-arounds to achieve a simple goal is a rather sad state of affairs for such otherwise sophisticated software isn't it?

As a suggestion to the developers, why not make it as I suggested, allow people to select a range of images/clips by highlighting them and apply the desired transition to it?
While I am at it, why not change the color of the sound bar under video clips or remove the sound wave where the audio is set to Mute. I now have to keep checking to make sure I muted them all. Just removing the volume line is not enough.