Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
effects 4k rendering is not possible
Jan Del Ray [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Vienna Joined: May 08, 2016 07:30 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Want to render a video in 4k lately, which suddenly stopped what never happened.

Have now found out what the error was, have tried for the first time the new effects of BorisFX. Unfortunately, they render problems with 4k rendering and finish the processing.
In Full Hd it works without problems, and stops the rendering. Is it somehow possible to use the effects in 4K?

Thanks for your help
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jan Del Ray -

Which of the Boris FX are you using?

I just did a couple of runs using different Boris FX on a 4:15 UHD clip from my drone, then rendering to MP4 3840x2160/30p (50Mbps).

First I applied BCC Magic Sharp to the whole clip. Playback was acceptable on my PC & rendering completed correctly, even though it was slow.

Next I added another effect - BCC Glitter - to the whole clip. PC struggled with playback on Full HD & rendering took as long a 3 games of online scrabble (almost an hour).

I haven't compared the same process with other PDR effects, but I suspect that performance won't be as badly affected.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Jan Del Ray [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony

thanks for the answers.

So mostly use the Stylize effects of BorisFX, have tried different but always come back to the problem that it interrupts the rendering process and the program ends with an error message to send.

In 1920/1080 25fps the program finishes without problems.

greeting Jan
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jan -

I can't exactly replicate your issue, because each render was successful. There were no errors or alerts. It just took much longer to render to UHD than Full HD.

I trimmed the original clip - H.264 MP4 3840x2160 @50Mbps - back to 1 minute duration and ran some tests with Boris FX, NewBlue FX & PDR FX.

I don't know why your 4K/UHD rendering is failing. Maybe you should post your DxDiag and someone clever might be able to see a possible cause.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2018 13:06

Jan Del Ray [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony

Had tried more FX in your setup, all in 25 fps instead of 50 fps and found the Effect BCC Video Glitch to be one of the causative issues.
With some others it has then rendered to the end.

I've noticed that I have an unusually high CPU utilization, over 90% of the Boris FX effects which is not the case with others.

Jan
ynotfish
[Post New]
Yes - fair enough.

The BCC Video Glitch effect applied on a UHD clip does send GPU usage through the roof (90-100% on GTX680) & CPU is way up there too. Most other Boris FX I've checked seeme to run at about 45-60% GPU, with spikes up to 95 but CPU usage is still high during playback & production. Mine is only a modest system & I wouldn't expect more of it.

And yes - with Video Glitch applied PDR fails consistently when producing to UHD, just as you've stated. Full HD production is no problem.

Have you done that DxDiag report yet?

Cheers - Tony