Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Colordirector. Black and white to color.
[Post New]
Hi all,

I am wondering how I can use a color video but on the time line start the video completely in black and white, then at certain timeline points I want to use selection tool to create a mask that will bring certain areas to color.

So start black and white then have selected areas come into color. I know how to use the selection masks on the timeline using keyframes, I just cant figure how to start the video in black and white other than using the global saturation settings as I already set it to b&w in the global settings but then the reginal settings did not bring back the color.

I hope someone can understand what I am trying to do and if so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
[Post New]
Hello DJLemon,

Welcome to the ColorDirector forum laughing

I've never attempted to do what (I think) you're trying to do, but it sounds interesting.

If the scene were static (shot from a tripod) I can see how sections of the scene could be switched from greyscale to full colour, using selection masks & keyframes.

I'm yet to work through the logistics of changing one section after another, but I believe it's possible in CDR.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello DJLemon,

Welcome to the ColorDirector forum laughing

I've never attempted to do what (I think) you're trying to do, but it sounds interesting.

If the scene were static (shot from a tripod) I can see how sections of the scene could be switched from greyscale to full colour, using selection masks & keyframes.

I'm yet to work through the logistics of changing one section after another, but I believe it's possible in CDR.

PIX

Yes it can be done with moving video as you are able to move/adjust the selection mask frame by frame, my question was, how to start the video completely in B&W then bring out the color within a mask?

Thank you for your interest and reply.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I think, not in ColorDirector alone. If you killed the color globally, you cannot get it back locally.
But with a combination ColorDirector and PowerDirector:

ColorDirector:

1. Mask, what you want to be colorful.

2. Track it.

3. Invert the mask

4. Make the inverted Mask a "green screen" and export the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dPWCal641M

PowerDirector:

1. Load original video to track 1.

2. Fix/Enhance, Color Adjustment - Saturation to zero -> b/w (you can, of course, produce a b/w clip in ColorDirector, too)

3. Load clip with green screen to track 2

4. PiP-Designer, Chroma Key, select green screen.

Voila.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Quote I think, not in ColorDirector alone. If you killed the color globally, you cannot get it back locally.
But with a combination ColorDirector and PowerDirector:

ColorDirector:

1. Mask, what you want to be colorful.

2. Track it.

3. Invert the mask

4. Make the inverted Mask a "green screen" and export the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dPWCal641M

PowerDirector:

1. Load original video to track 1.

2. Fix/Enhance, Color Adjustment - Saturation to zero -> b/w (you can, of course, produce a b/w clip in ColorDirector, too)

3. Load clip with green screen to track 2

4. PiP-Designer, Chroma Key, select green screen.

Voila.

Hatti

Thank you for this reply, you have informed me of what I feared about killing the color globally, however, you supplied a work around which is more effort but should give me the desired effect I want.

Thanks again.
[Post New]
Hello again,

Hatti's gone multi-multi lingual! "Voila!"

In attempting this, I followed a different track which I think will achieve the effect you're after.

DJLemon, you're correct, selection masks can be modified at each frame to follow movement. In my example, this wasn't necessary but I deliberately chose it for that reason laughing

First, I set up selection masks to cover each part of the scene then keyframed the colour change for each one. In this way, different parts of the image switched from greyscale to full saturation at different points.

If you'd like to see the full sized screenshots, you can download the here.

In fact, here's the packed CDR project if you're interested. Hopefully you're using CDR6.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello again,

Hatti's gone multi-multi lingual! "Voila!"

In attempting this, I followed a different track which I think will achieve the effect you're after.

DJLemon, you're correct, selection masks can be modified at each frame to follow movement. In my example, this wasn't necessary but I deliberately chose it for that reason laughing

First, I set up selection masks to cover each part of the scene then keyframed the colour change for each one. In this way, different parts of the image switched from greyscale to full saturation at different points.

If you'd like to see the full sized screenshots, you can download the here.

In fact, here's the packed CDR project if you're interested. Hopefully you're using CDR6.

PIX

Wow, I will say again .... WOW, I believe that I was over-thinking the solution to this. You have just shown me that it is fairly easy to achieve the results I want.

I never considered using multiple masks that would enable changing any area at any point, to have buildings or tree's explode into color from b/w in time with music will make an exiting start to a movie I want to create.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my question and going away and actually figure out the answer in CDR6, which is the version I have!