Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Computer
william636 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2018 10:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PowerDirector16 on a 7 year old PC with an i3 cpu. I am thinking about buying a new DellComputer. I am trying to decide between an i5-7400 cpu with a 1tb sata drive and 12g RAM versus a i7-7700 cpu, 16G RAM, with a SDD drive for the OS and a 1tb SATA for storage. The price difference is $540. It is a big price difference and I am not sure if it is worth it to edit home videos and burn them to DVD. I am not using any special effects or special audio editing or 3d videos.

What does everyone think?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Need to know the source resolution, format, bitrate of the video of the original videos that you use to make those DVDs. It makes a difference on which answer is best. You are making standard DVDs but do you want to use HD or 4k videos in making those DVDs or have something else in mind like producing 4k videos?

Your present pc is apparently okay for creating DVDs.
william636 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2018 10:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Need to know the source resolution, format, bitrate of the video of the original videos that you use to make those DVDs. It makes a difference on which answer is best. You are making standard DVDs but do you want to use HD or 4k videos in making those DVDs or have something else in mind like producing 4k videos?

Your present pc is apparently okay for creating DVDs.

I am using standard mpeg-2 hq720-480/60i 9.5mbps. No 4k or HD
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
If you have no ambition to get into HD or 4k video editing then you can keep what you have which is adequate now and save up enough money to buy what you may need later.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ...

well, you have a craving for a need for little speed.
how about this - Help with specs on a laptop ! I'd say $300 - $350 is reasonable, yes?
if you do know how to install video cards and load up windows then this Dell Precision T5600 16-Core 2.20GHz E5-2660 16GB RAM 2x 500GB HDD desktop. not too shabby. dual cpu bench mark is 16536 !!!

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

p.s.
my xps is 6 years old, too... getting older and slower like me. ^^

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 05. 2018 11:22

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
will_s [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 18, 2015 05:43 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am using PowerDirector16 on a 7 year old PC with an i3 cpu. I am thinking about buying a new DellComputer. I am trying to decide between an i5-7400 cpu with a 1tb sata drive and 12g RAM versus a i7-7700 cpu, 16G RAM, with a SDD drive for the OS and a 1tb SATA for storage. The price difference is $540. It is a big price difference and I am not sure if it is worth it to edit home videos and burn them to DVD. I am not using any special effects or special audio editing or 3d videos.

the more cores the faster video rendering and the i7 has more cores

but to be honest the new AMD CPU's looks impressive so maybe wait until they come out in the laptop form

Still if you want to get the Dell now then try and work over the Sales Rep............go online and tell them this but the $540 difference it to much but you really want it and usually they will give you a nice discount............if they dont say ok, thankyou, I am going to check out Asus laptops

and they may just get back to you later with a better offer.................and check out the Asus range

the worse thing to do is to settle for something and regret not getting the other one at a later date

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2018 02:38