Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Strategies for reducing final render time in PD15?
Scorpion0x17 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2018 14:33 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I’ve been using PowerDirector for a little while, and as I become more ambitious and using more features and techniques in my videos I am finding that the render times when producing the final video have grown and grown, to the point now where they’re getting close to impractical.

And last night my laptop crashed or rebooted part way through a really long render.

My laptop is not the most powerful (i3, 4GB RAM), so I know I can improve render times there, but a new laptop is not something I can afford right now.

So, are there strategies I could adopt to help reduce final render times?

For example, would it help to render different segments projects, with their own cuts, transitions, subtitles, PiPs, overlays, and so on, to intermediate video files, and then stitch these intermediate videos together in a final project along with titles, segment transitions, and so on?

Also I’ve noticed that sometimes when I go to Produce the hardware acceleration is enabled, and sometimes it’s greyed out. I have not been able to work out why this is, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference to final render times.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
You know, that for video editing, computer power is evident.
What you can try:
Try do do as less editing /color changing, speed change, all things in PiP Designer, PowerTools and clip effects as possible. Then you can try the SVRT rendering. With that, PowerDirector can just copy the unchanged parts of the video to the target film. That is supermuch faster than rendering. But even if SVRT does not work: The most rendering time is needed for clip changes, like color, speed or effects. The most bad thing is to use color presets. They can slow down rendering time significantly.
Rendering in parts may help, because you can use SVRT for the parts, but time summed up for the parts will be at least the same as if the project was rendered as a whole.
I don't know, why hardware acceleration is sometimes on and sometimes off. Hardware acceleration causes many problems, so maybe it's better to turn it off. But try, depending on your hardware, rendering can be significantly faster.
And ask your computer: Video rendering takes a lot of processor power. So maybe the processor gets too hot and is throtteling down? Then rendering in parts would be the best idea.

Hatti

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2018 12:34

Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
4GB of RAM is below minimum spec really but if you have no option but to try then I would agree with Hatti that overheating is probably the trouble. I resolved a similar problem some years ago by limiting CPU useage to 90% (you can set it in Windows Power Management settings). Make sure the laptop cooling fan is working efficiently and is clean. If possible leave a small extra fan running playing onto the laptop and lift the laptop up off the surface it is standing on to make sure that air flow around it is unrestricted.

Your computer will probably be paging out to disk due to lack of RAM. Make sure you have plenty of free space and also make sure that your HD is not fragmented.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

The key to comfortable editing on a laptop is exactly as you suggest - split your project into smaller sub-projects.
The beauty of getting SVRT to work means that, once each section is encoded (which it would have to be anyway), then the final full render takes far fewer resources for a much shorter time.
Points to note:

• Sub-projects can be long or short, perhaps determined by context, but allow for the final joining process - otherwise any transitions will eat into the finished clip.

• Audio joining can be an issue, but again, careful editing and selection of section start and finish points makes it easier.

• Editing a small sub-project for a minor glitch is then so much easier than having a massive and complex timeline to handle.

• Assembling your project in sections also allows choices and decisions as you go along, because it is so much easier to render and review so that you can get the flow and feel right.

Personally, having travelled extensively with my trusty i5 laptop (now several years old) for several months at a time - I have got into the habit, so even on my desktop I prefer to do that. I've just done a 5 min video - mainly slideshow combinations for an art exhibition - but it has 6 sections, each independently edited and produced with 3 audio beds running through and some custom titles/video transitions. It could easily be done in one, but I just find it easier to do in sections.

All depends on getting SVRT to work effectively for you!!!

Try it and see, it really can take the strain out of things.
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2018 10:48

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Scorpion0x17 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the information, all.

Laptop crashed again last night - after rendering all day and getting to about 90% done! yell

So going to try splitting the project up and using SVRT.
cyberfun3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2018 10:15 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the information, all.

Laptop crashed again last night - after rendering all day and getting to about 90% done! yell

So going to try splitting the project up and using SVRT.

Time to render in desktop, more cpu cores is better, ssd drive, 8gb ram, decent video card and you will be 😀.

No matter what software you will use to render, laptop rendering is slow as turtle compared to desktop. AMD FX8300 8core 3.3Ghz,16GbDDR3
256Gb SSD,GTX1050 2Gb.Nvidia 391.24
Scorpion0x17 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Time to render in desktop, more cpu cores is better, ssd drive, 8gb ram, decent video card and you will be 😀.

No matter what software you will use to render, laptop rendering is slow as turtle compared to desktop.

If I had a desktop, or could afford to purchase one, then that is indeed what I would do.
NATURE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 15, 2018 13:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

The key to comfortable editing on a laptop is exactly as you suggest - split your project into smaller sub-projects.
The beauty of getting SVRT to work means that, once each section is encoded (which it would have to be anyway), then the final full render takes far fewer resources for a much shorter time.
Points to note:

• Sub-projects can be long or short, perhaps determined by context, but allow for the final joining process - otherwise any transitions will eat into the finished clip.

• Audio joining can be an issue, but again, careful editing and selection of section start and finish points makes it easier.

• Editing a small sub-project for a minor glitch is then so much easier than having a massive and complex timeline to handle.

• Assembling your project in sections also allows choices and decisions as you go along, because it is so much easier to render and review so that you can get the flow and feel right.

Personally, having travelled extensively with my trusty i5 laptop (now several years old) for several months at a time - I have got into the habit, so even on my desktop I prefer to do that. I've just done a 5 min video - mainly slideshow combinations for an art exhibition - but it has 6 sections, each independently edited and produced with 3 audio beds running through and some custom titles/video transitions. It could easily be done in one, but I just find it easier to do in sections.

All depends on getting SVRT to work effectively for you!!!

Try it and see, it really can take the strain out of things.
Adrian

What about the image quality,the same as with jpg (compression) ....bad,or does it not matter?
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]

What about the image quality,the same as with jpg (compression) ....bad,or does it not matter?

Hi,

SVRT acts to render only those portions of a project that have been modified. Other "unmodified" portions are not rendered. This has 2 implications:

• It is much quicker

• It does not alter the source material

CL FAQ here states the parameters necessary for SVRT to work : https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=7271&prodId=4&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=SVRT

PDR17 help says :
"Intelligent SVRT* (Smart Video Rendering Technology) is a proprietary rendering technology from CyberLink that assists in the output of your video productions by suggesting which video profile you should use.
Note: * optional feature in CyberLink PowerDirector. Check the version table on our web site for detailed versioning information.
Based on the format of original video clips in your project, what portions of the clips were modified (and therefore require rendering during production), and which portions of them were not changed (and thus can be skipped over during the rendering process), Intelligent SVRT suggests the video profile that will result in the best output quality possible, and save you the most time during production."

Hope that helps
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.