Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trimming sync'd video
OliReading [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2018 08:46 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have just started using PowerDirector 16, and it seems more than adequate for everything I want to do, with one odd exception - I'm sure I'm missing a trick.

I can click to 'trim' a video - nice UI for selecting when the clip comes in and out of the original video, and I can 'sync to audio', aligning a video with an independently recorded audio track. But I can't do both!

If I sync a video and an audio track, if I then trim the video, the audio won't follow. I can detach and delete the original audio from the video then use 'link video and audio' to bond the new audio to the old video, the trim option is not then available (I guess because you can't trim a group).

I can't see any logical reason for this limitation. If I 'link video to audio' I can then drag the composite object to be shorter in the timelime, which is effectively trimming but without the nice user interface, and that works.

I can trim the original video and write down the 'in' and 'out times', then do the sync to audio, link them and calculate what I need to cut out of the joined object, but that's quite fiddly. I tend to record clapping at the beginning of clips and it seems the 'sync to audio' relies on that. When I've tried trimming the video then syncing to audio, it's failed to sync probably because the talking parts are too different from each source.

I have in the past 'cheated' and do the thing you're not supposed to do - sync the video/audio then save the result as a new avi file. When that's included in the project, trim works fine, but with potential loss from re-encoding.

Am I missing something obvious or is this a gap in the functionality?

Thanks,
Oli
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I think, you are right in all manners. But I don't see the advantage of the trimming dialog.
I never used the trimming dialog. The preview is missing an in/out point for trimming in the timeline, but I use markers for that purpose. Even while playing the clip, I can press 'Shift-M' to set a marker. (Unfortunately, pressing 'Shift-M' again does not delete the marker, there isn't even a shortcut for deleting a marker) There I watch deeper, refine it and trim. The timeline marker will snap to the marker while trimming. If there is an already synced audio, it can be grouped with the video clip. Once grouped, a selection of one group member selects all group members, too. and moving on the timeline means moving of all group members. And the group can be ungrouped and regrouped whenever you want.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

One way round the issue, but it is dependent on exactly what you need and your workflow.

Basically reverse a bit of your workflow. Counterintuitively, do the last bit first?

Synch your video and independent audio as a total.
Produce to a final profile of your choice that will allow SVRT to operate properly, in effect swapping your audio streams and encoding to your final format.

Use this synched video to edit from and use SVRT to produce to your final profile again.

In theory, you are not re-encoding any of your "untouched" video, only the frames that would need re-encoding anyway.

It would be even better if you could shoot in a format that would automatically allow SVRT to work.

Might this type of workaround apply for you?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
I have had to use this "reverse" work flow when, for whatever reasons, I couldn't get audio to sync. No loss of quality when using SVRT to make a working file.
OliReading [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2018 08:46 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I've read about this SVRT feature of writing out the bits of input video without change where possible. So you're right, I shouldn't fear saving partial edits as MP4 and using them as source material.

And I'll have a go using markers (never used them before) to manage trimming as an alternative.

Thanks for the tips!
Oli