Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How To Request UHD BD Support Through NVidia Cards
DrReiCow [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2009 08:19 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Having read through some posts on here, it is clear that UHD BDs cannot be played through NVidia cards and that Cyberlink is not the cause of this problem. My question is: who is responsible for this issue? As a consumer, where should I direct my queries to see UHD BD support enabled? In addition, what specific technical information should I include with my requests to be clear on the support needed? I see the HDCP 2.2 requirement, which my 1080Ti meets, and the SGX requirement that my motherboard (Maximus Hero IX) meets, but the interplay between them and other requirements eludes me. I simply want to clearly articulate what support is needed in order for me (and seemingly many others) to watch UHD Blu-rays.

Thank you,
DrReiCow
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Well, I believe you are right that it is not CyberLink's choice/fault (they would not want to reduce their market), so it should be obvious who you should talk to to request the feature. I fear they are not interested though, as the technology required is quite strict and I'm sure they are making most of their money from gaming PCs support. I doubt there is much appetite for it. Streaming is the future.

Dave
DrReiCow [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2009 08:19 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
If I found it obvious, I wouldn't have asked. Despite their priorities, NVidia has to listen to their customers to some extent, and to that extent, I would like my voice heard on this issue. Accoridngly, could you (or someone else knowledgeable), tell me what I should say to them? Is it as simple as asking for playthrough support for UHD BDs, or should I be asking for support for more specific technological demands for this type of playback?

Thanks
AndrewR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2015 16:29 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If I found it obvious, I wouldn't have asked. Despite their priorities, NVidia has to listen to their customers to some extent, and to that extent, I would like my voice heard on this issue. Accoridngly, could you (or someone else knowledgeable), tell me what I should say to them? Is it as simple as asking for playthrough support for UHD BDs, or should I be asking for support for more specific technological demands for this type of playback?

Thanks

I'm not convinced that Nvidia's the problem. You can stream UHD Netflix with Nvidia and AMD now, but Cyberlink still only supports Intel's drm solution for UHD bluray.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]

I'm not convinced that Nvidia's the problem. You can stream UHD Netflix with Nvidia and AMD now, but Cyberlink still only supports Intel's drm solution for UHD bluray.

It sounds like NVIDIA/AMD supports Netflix 4K, and then they of course support 4K blu-ray.
Then, powerdvd cannot use NVIDIA/AMD GPU, it is powerdvd's responsibility.

Why would you think Netflix 4K is identical to 4K blu-movie disc specification?
One is online video streaming with its DRM, another one is local movie disc playback and has its DRM.
Yes, they both apply HDCP 2.2. So, that's everything?

Per your statement, Netflix streaming (playback app/service) should support NVIDIA/AMD GPUs at the begining or later after Netflix updates their 4K video streaming mechanism on Netflix side.

Why all those news or annoucement reversely said NVIDIA/AMD GPU supports Netflix streaming by new drivers? http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/~/4k-uhd-netflix-content-on-nvidia-gpus
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3031654/amds-latest-radeon-adrenalin-edition-drivers-quietly-bring-in-4k-netflix-streaming-support
http://www.hexus.net/ce/news/audio-visual/117782-amd-adds-netflix-4k-acceleration-latest-driver-release/
AndrewR [Avatar]
[Post New]

It sounds like NVIDIA/AMD supports Netflix 4K, and then they of course support 4K blu-ray.
Then, powerdvd cannot use NVIDIA/AMD GPU, it is powerdvd's responsibility.

Why would you think Netflix 4K is identical to 4K blu-movie disc specification?
One is online video streaming with its DRM, another one is local movie disc playback and has its DRM.
Yes, they both apply HDCP 2.2. So, that's everything?

Per your statement, Netflix streaming (playback app/service) should support NVIDIA/AMD GPUs at the begining or later after Netflix updates their 4K video streaming mechanism on Netflix side.

Why all those news or annoucement reversely said NVIDIA/AMD GPU supports Netflix streaming by new drivers? http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/~/4k-uhd-netflix-content-on-nvidia-gpus
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3031654/amds-latest-radeon-adrenalin-edition-drivers-quietly-bring-in-4k-netflix-streaming-support
http://www.hexus.net/ce/news/audio-visual/117782-amd-adds-netflix-4k-acceleration-latest-driver-release/

My point is simply that either: (1) Intel's SGX drm scheme is baked into UHD bluray on PC and other brands are locked out; or (2) further work is needed to support AMD and Nvidia's implementations of PlayReady 3.0. It would be helpful to have some clarity from Cyberlink either way, as PlayReady 3.0 is the scheme MS devised to bring 4k content to the pc. If the goalposts have moved, it will massively impact on building choices, as SGX doesn't play nicely with other GPUs and you may be better off buying a standalone player.
leonard4790 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Denver, CO Joined: Aug 29, 2018 19:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
So I guess it is safe to say that I am out of luck if I want to play 4K on an AMD rig huh?

I need to see if I can get a refund then! Ridiculous! I have the latest AMD Threadripper chipset, AND complicating matters, a GTX 1080 GPU that doesn't appear to be supported either!

Appreciate the information from this thread everyone...
AndrewR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote So I guess it is safe to say that I am out of luck if I want to play 4K on an AMD rig huh?

I need to see if I can get a refund then! Ridiculous! I have the latest AMD Threadripper chipset, AND complicating matters, a GTX 1080 GPU that doesn't appear to be supported either!

Appreciate the information from this thread everyone...

Pretty much. Cyberlink's response was more or less it's Nvidia's problem if they don't support Intel's proprietary instruction set and why should we care... It's all a bit lazy, as Netflix was clearly able to negotiate an agreement to support 4k on Nvidia hardware.

If you do go down the Intel route, bear in mind that your mobo must have HDMI 2.0 (good luck finding that info). It's probably less hassle to buy a cheap 4k player and use that instead.

And Cyberlink, however much you spam me I will not be upgrading to PDVD18 until you fix this!