Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 Video Upscaling Technology
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
'Video Upscaling Technology: PowerDirector boosts standard definition video to HD-like results, allowing users to enjoy their content on high-resolution displays in color-rich quality.'

Does anyone know how this is achieved? Is it a combination of various enhancements or is there a specific tool / process??

I may be missing something obvious!

I only film in standard definition (don't think computer would like HD) but would be nice to produce a high definition type result for the HD ready TV! Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ed,

I think you’re right about what Cyberlink’s definition of… “Upscaling Technologies” is.
As being the use, per prefference, of a combination of the available Fix/Enhance tools, as opposed to a “one button upscaling feature”.

I deduce this as a result of looking at this link…
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/upscale-video_en_US.html
…and the fact that “Technologies” is spelled in the plural form.

But if you do find that single magic upscale button somewhere, let the rest of us know. I was wondering the same thing, but I sure couldn’t find it.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
In PD8, select the video in the timeline and then click the "Fix / Enhance". Under the Enhance area is Video Enhancement. I think that is the upscaling technology they are speaking about.

Jeff
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
OK thanks - that looks like the one!

Tried it on a few clips - difference more obvious on some than others; will try it in more depth later Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Ed,

Though I haven't done a lot with PD8 yet, I did find that for some clips and pre-produced stills with motion, that just using the good old "sharpen" tool in "color adjustment", actually looked better than applying the full Enhance. As the Enhance tool seemed to sometimes give certain media a pretty obvious over processed look to it.

I guess one just has to experiment.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09. 2009 04:56

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips