Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video will not play back in older DVD players
John 1274 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 29, 2008 11:04 Messages: 84 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone, I've tried searching the topics for my issue but can't quit seem to find an answer. Please let me know if this has already been answered.

I've produced a few videos with PD7 and saved them to video files. I've burned the files to DVD with CopyToDVD and it plays back on my pc or newer DVD players but will not play back on most older players. I get all kinds of messages like "no disc" "no play" "disc error" "incompatible disc". I'm recording on DVD-R discs and have tried Memorex, Sony, TDK and Verbitim with the same problems.

I play in a bluegrass band and have produced a video to sell. Have costumers bringing videos back saying they won't play but I've checked them and they will play on my newer player. My older player is a Panasonic DMR-E50P and the newer player is a Sony DVP-SR200P.

Thank you in advance.

John Windows 7 64-bit 8 GB RAM, x64
AMD Phenom, IIx4 925 Processor
2800 Mhz, 4 Core, 4 Logical Processors
Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Phys. Memory 7.99 GB
Available Phys. Memory 5.70 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.3 GB
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
One of the threads last night was about something like this. It has disappeared (I imagine because the poster didn't have a name) however my paragraphs of explanation disappeared with it. *sigh*

Basically, when you burn your own DVDs it is always a crap shoot as to whether they will work. There could be various reasons. At one point DVD players only played one type of disc (or a lot of them did) + or - SO to begin with the older players might simply be only able to play + dvds and you have given them -.

Another problem could be how you are copying the DVDs to give out. If you are copying disc to disc, this explanation doesn't apply. If you are burning them from a DVD folder, however, the DVD is actually a data disc at that point. Even though newer DVD players play data discs and you don't realize that that's what is happening - a lot of older players don't. Therefore they won't play your set up because they are reading it as a data disc.

Don't know if that helps or not.
John 1274 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you McLean for the quick response,

I will try burning a master copy with PD7 and make sure it works in my older DVD player. If it does, then I will make exact copies from the master with a program like "1Click DVD Copy 5" instead of burning copies from a file folder. If this works, I will be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks so much and good day!

McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good Luck. Keep in mind the + and - problem too, just in case.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 31. 2009 16:41

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
If you use Imgburn (its free) there is a tick box where you can make disks compatible with both + and - DVD players.

Check this guide on using Imgburn. You will also find a link about 1/2 way down dealing with "booktype". That is what I was referring to.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
John 1274 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've fixed my problem. I was placing a Memorex DVD label paper label to the finished DVD. That is what was causing it not to be recognized in my older player. I burned a couple DVD's and played them without a label. They worked fine. Put the labels on and it said, "No Play". Took the labels back off and they worked again. This might sound stupid but since that, I've done some searching online and found a lot of forums about the topic.

Now I'm in the market for a printer that will print on DVD's. Have no idea what I'm looking for yet.

Thank you all for your support.

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I use lightscribe. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Darn, that was one question that I never thought to ask. Congratulations.

I have a printer that prints on DVDs, it's a Hewlett Packard and I have been very happy with it (although the software they gave me with it is not the best, I upgraded it for about $25 and it's great). There are a lot of comments about these types of printers and I know that there are some that prefer other brands. The thing to remember with these discs (because there is a coating on them in order to print on them) they are slightly heavier (and a bit more expensive) so there too there might be an issue (rarely, but there might be). They do look great though.

Good Luck and thanks for letting us know what the problem was.
Compaq__ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2009 16:39 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: One of the threads last night was about something like this. It has disappeared (I imagine because the poster didn't have a name) however my paragraphs of explanation disappeared with it. *sigh*

That was my thread. They deleted it because of no name? What? Then maybe they ought to require one when you register like ever other forum out there. Who's the dope moderator of these forums? Unbelievable.
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Compaq
That was my thread. They deleted it because of no name? What? Then maybe they ought to require one when you register like ever other forum out there. Who's the dope moderator of these forums? Unbelievable.

I believe I mentioned the lack of name twice in the posts that I made.

I am sure, however, that insulting the moderator is not the way to go. This forum is made up of volunteers that are providing information and suggestions on their own time and there is a lot of great input. The work that our moderator does Dafydd with moderating and creating video tutorials etc. all on his own time to help the users of Power Director is above and beyond. I, for one, appreciate all his time and effort.

Compaq__ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2009 16:39 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Compaq

I believe I mentioned the lack of name twice in the posts that I made.

I am sure, however, that insulting the moderator is not the way to go. This forum is made up of volunteers that are providing information and suggestions on their own time and there is a lot of great input. The work that our moderator does Dafydd with moderating and creating video tutorials etc. all on his own time to help the users of Power Director is above and beyond. I, for one, appreciate all his time and effort.

Appreciated but still a stupid idea.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
McLean wrote:
The work that our moderator does Dafydd with moderating and creating video tutorials etc. all on his own time to help the users of Power Director is above and beyond. I, for one, appreciate all his time and effort.

I completely agree!

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips