Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Deleted PowerDVD program
Steve [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2009 22:33 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I had PowerDVD included on my computer as a bundled program. I had a virus that required that my hard drive be reformatted. Now the entire Cyberlink file is gone and my computer does not even recognize that I have aDVD player/recorder at all, just a CD player/recorder. How do I get my PowerDVD program back?
[Post New]
Most machines that come with bundled software have some way to get it back if you lose it. Either by way of a rescue/recover disc or a partition on your hard drive dedicated to restoring it to a factory state.

So... you can either contact the people who built your computer and ask them, or you can look for the rescue options mentioned above.
Steve [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2009 22:33 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
When the recovery discs were used to try to restore the computer, the virus corrupted the discs and then corrupted the D: partition. The stuff is gone. The builder was Best Buy and they do not restore programs that are lost. I registered the computer and all of the programs when I bought and set up my computer, so I sent PowerDVD an e-mail request for assistance, but have not heard back from them yet. PowerDVD's customer service site says that I can recover a lost program by entering the serial number but I don't have the serial number.
[Post New]
Typical of Best Buy.

Sell you a machine, attempt to restore it for you and lose all of your data in the process (because they truly are terrible at this sort of thing) and then tell you that it's a shame and too bad you will never see it all again.

However, if they built it and it's still under warranty they need to and have an obligation to replace it to the state it was in when you walked out of the store with it originally.

Barring that... CyberLink is usually pretty helpful. If you can somehow PROVE to them you had a legitimate copy, they are more than happy to assist you in recovering your key(s).

Good luck with this. I hope it all works out for you.