Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
convert .mp4 files, best quality
matt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 24, 2009 17:34 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have a sanyo camera that produces .mp4 (quicktime files). I CAN import them to power director, however, the program does not seem to like it. Usually it will close down with sort of error. I am using all the FFV codecs and such. So my question is. What is the next best conversion to use. .mp4 to avi? mpg? I would like not to have much loss or change in video size. I just want the best format that PD can edit, but make a clear DVD.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Matt,

I have a Sanyo HD1010 and I save my videos to "Streaming wmv" 720p ntsc as virtually all of my videos I upload to the net. I would prefer to use mp4/m2ts as I get more control over the quality of the video but Vimeo will not accept .m2ts format which is what Powerdirector's outputs when you choose mp4.

Now burning to DVD, I believe avi is lossless but makes HUGE files, which may work if it is a short movie, but can quickly end up too big for a DVD. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Matt,
Editing HD files can be very sensitive to system specs and setup. I shoot in 720p 30fps with my HD1010. I find that my system will not work very well with anything higher. Hence I then output to 720p mpeg or wmv. For streaming I then convert to .flv or whatever using an external converter like Pazera or Super©.

As most of my output is via some sort of player to relatively small screens say 32" or to web streams, I find this the best compromise.

PD should work fine with native .mp4 files although sometimes a little slow depending on the system.

So
Which version of PD?
What system specs ?
Which format of .mp4 are you shooting?
Which error does PD return?

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
matt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 24, 2009 17:34 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
thanks for the info. I don't have the specific, error, usually, its just "power director encountered a problem and must close"

I am using windows vista 32
power director 6, though its bundled with DVD suite -came with computer
HP laptop
AMD 64x2 2.2ghz
3gb ram
250gb hard drive
17 inch screen

As for the format, its a Non-HD camera, saves the files as .MP4
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Matt,

Several things that might help/shed light on things.

Bundled software does not always have the same capability as the full versions. If this has always been a problem that might be why - if it has worked in the past then it's probably something else.

Clear out any Temp folder and files

Make sure QT is updated.

Uninstall and then reinstall PD. It is sometimes necessary to correct any corrupt files.

Defrag your hard drive, especially if it's some time since you did so.

Use something like mediainfo
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

to check the details of your .mp4 files.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Videoman73 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tampa, Florida Joined: Jul 19, 2009 21:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
PD7 does not like .mp4 format as far as from my personal experience, therefore I am assuming PD6 does not like them as well, my suggestion would be to convert.mp4 to format of your choice with format factory or similar software such as pazera, super or koyote and than edit in PD.

Remember .mp4 is merely a wrapper or container not a codec, and sorry affair of this format is due to loose developer dependent changes allowed in the specs of the format.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Yes, some people have had problems, which is why I think system setup/specs/file formats are important.

I use PD6.5 on my dual core laptop, 2Gb, when I'm diving without too much problem with 720p 30 fps .mp4 files from the HD1010.

PD 7 does actually work(just) on my single core old desktop with less 740Mb of Ram.

It also works OK for me on a dual core desktop but only really up to 720p.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
beckypayne [Avatar]
Newbie Location: New York Joined: Mar 25, 2015 23:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I use Video Converter software to convert MP4 to AVI. The conversion speed is fast and the quality of the converted videos remains HD. If you want to burn the MP4 to DVD, you can directly move to the "Burn" interface. Insert a blank disc, and hit "Burn". In a while, you can enjoy HD MP4 movies in DVD Player.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 09. 2015 02:16

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
beckypayne,
welcome to our fun forum (usually).
I just want to inform you that you've answered a 6 year old forum thread, and the OP isn't even around anymore.
Feel free to poke around all the forums, and get involved, but the newest questions/answers have the orange high light icon next to them.
We hope to see more of you. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT