Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
error 0103 when playing HD DVD discs over HDMI
Corey [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 09, 2007 15:50 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]
Anyone else get a 0103 error - Failed to initialize player when viewing HD DVD over HDMI?

The Video starts to play when a second or two in it shuts down with the error.

I show all green in the HD advisor but my processor with is yellow with a recommendation to upgrade.

HD DVD playback is fine over component video.

I'm using the following items in my HTPC...
*PowerDVD Ultra
*Xbox360 HD DVD drive
*ATI x1600 256MB HDMI graphics card running the 7.1 drivers released 1/10/07 from ATI
*Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz processor
*1 GB of memory
*Display is an JVC HD61Z786 with HDMI in at 1080i.

I'm frustrated with Voice and online support in regards to the turn around time for responding to my issue.
Whiggles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2007 10:42 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds familiar. A lot of users with ATI video cards, myself included, seem to be having HDCP issues with PowerDVD, namely getting the display to be recognised as being compliant (despite the card itself showing up green, and the monitor showing up green when connected to other video cards, i.e. Nvidia). At this point I'm not sure whether the fault lies with ATI or Cyberlink, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2007 20:36 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same issue on one of my machines. Specs:

Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2GB DDR
Nvidia 7950GX2 video Card
Media center 2005 all updates
Latest Retail Build powerDVD 7.1 Super Ultra-Deluxe-Blueray-whatever-else Edition
Nvidia Forceware 93.81
Purevideo codecs installed

Using Monster DVI>HDMI converter and directly Feeding Mitsubishi HC3000u projector.

HD advisor passes everything.

Using analog VGA, seems to play ok.

Using digital, it plays for a few seconds, throws the 0103 error and says playback cannot be started.

Anyone get any other feedback on this issue? Is there a solution??

I'm not paying anymore money to get phone support for a product that is defective is far as I am concerned. Hopefully they come up with a solutiion soon.

Corey [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've been on the phone with support every chance I get. If I find a resolution I will certainly post it here. I have till feb 2nd for phone support which I hope will be enough. Im not so impressed with Cyberlink or support of the 7.1 product.
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Graphics card support list.
Nvidia:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_build.html
ASUS:
http://www.asus.com.tw/products2.aspx?l1=2&l2=6
http://www.asus.com.tw/products2.aspx?l1=2&l2=8
Corey [Avatar]
[Post New]
My problem has gone away!

Pretty wild but I just remove the video card and re-installed it with the same brand and model of card. Then fired up Cyberlink and no issues. my jitter playback issue also went away....still think there's an issue with Cyberlink recognizing the hardware chain.
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2007 20:36 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Still waiting for a solution. I have tried this software on several (6)machines with HIGH END configurations and it DOESEN'T FRICKIN WORK!!! Are you going to fix this or what? I'm getting tired of companies releasing half finished software. I have yet to see any cyberlink anyone respond to a single post on this forum.

Green Dots across the board... Playback cannot be started (even after it already has!)

Jeff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2007 12:56 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I like how no one from Cyberlink dares to even comment on these forums when people are faced with real problems after dumping money into shotty software. I am getting error 0103 known issue, after paying 100 bux for the full version on Vista and running their compatability software that said all my software/hardware was in compliance... nope.. powerdvd crashes after a few seconds of it actually playing.

Crap development
Crap software
THE WORST attempt at support iv'e ever witnessed
Completely devoid of ANY official messaging to the customer that these problems are recognized are being worked on.

:: Like i'm really going to pay $30 for phone support so they can find out their software is a POS. ::
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink will release PowerDVD Ultra patch. Probably can fix this problem.
Jeff [Avatar]
[Post New]
Really? Why is there no official messaging about this on their website? Why was the forums link removed from the Cyberlink website?
Where is the messaging from Cyberlink stating this is a known issue?
Corey [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm hoping the patch will indeed fix certain problems people are having.

Upon logging in though I see no removal, or any hint of the removal, of any link to the forums as you need to be a paying subscriber to even see the forums?

I'm in no way a huge supporter of Cyberlink at the moment but where is your proof that they have intentionally dropped or removed links to the user forums?

Posting something to the public about a wonder fix would indicate that the company has wrong a mass number of people for $99 a license, which is what we are paying for.

People spend thousands of dollars on Microsoft products and you don't see M$ claiming responsibility for wrong doing on their website for countless security flaws and bad code. Anyone install Vista on a machine older than a year?

We all need to remember where the state of this technology is and its place in the world today. We choose to be apart of the bleeding edge, there is some sacrifice that comes with that.
Jeff [Avatar]
[Post New]
1.) How are Cyberlink forums are not public when I can google Cyberlink Forums and get to them without being a paying customer?

2.) I didn't say they should post a wonderfix but Cyberlink has a responsibility to the public to properly message that there are many users experiencing problems with their software concerning HD DVD / BluRay playback. At least admit they're looking into it. No promises have to be made, just aknowledgement.

3.) Comparing M$ OS and a software DVD player are two different things.

We'll see if they post anything official after they find out about the Engadget posting.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/08/cyberlink-users-complaining-of-hd-playback-problems/
Corey [Avatar]
[Post New]
1.) How are Cyberlink forums are not public when I can google Cyberlink Forums and get to them without being a paying customer?

Answer you do have to register to use the forums....no public free for all.

2.) I didn't say they should post a wonderfix but Cyberlink has a responsibility to the public to properly message that there are many users experiencing problems with their software concerning HD DVD / BluRay playback. At least admit they're looking into it. No promises have to be made, just aknowledgement.

I agree they should make mention that they have a patch and potential fixes associated with the patch.

3.) Comparing M$ OS and a software DVD player are two different things.

They are both software makers and both have buggy code...they are the same.

CyberLink [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2006 21:50 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Please check response article at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/928.page
DonRon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2007 15:53 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
some input

my pc is pretty old (3years)
GEFORCE 6800GT (256MB)
the driver is old to
and the HD advisors are all red

but im watching HD-DVD`s anyway with powerdvd v6.5

lol