Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 7 just shuts down on itself
Pete [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2009 19:45 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hey all, my first post.

I got myself a JVC camcorder (pre-2007) and am trying the trial version of PowerDirector 7, try before I buy sort of thing as I'm trying to make a DVD for my parents of my newborn

However, when I try to import the MOD files from my pc.. I moved the files over from the camcorder, PowerDirector just closes by itself and I get no error message. I tried using PowerProducer as well, but it would just stop running and freeze up

Some cyberlink software came with the camcorder but it was older versions and it wouldn't let me import the MOD files either.

anyone have any ideas about this? thanks
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome Pete -

I don't have any direct experience of this, but I read somewhere that it's OK to change the .mod (extension) to .mpg - they're mpeg2 files and peculiar to JVC.

Look at this on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY-cKaCEUJ4

Hey - here's an article that might help you... http://i.nconspicuo.us/2007/01/26/convert-mod-files-to-mpg-or-avi-jvc-everio-hdd-camcorder/

That should sort out your issue.

Cheers -

Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Pete [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll give that a go. I think I read that same article before not too long ago

From what I read through the help file with PowerDirector 7, MOD files are supported but I really can't figure out why when I try to import them it just shuts down powerdirector.

Wouldn't it just make more sense if JVC decided to NOT make use of MOD files??
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using PD 7 & MOD files (standard def) without any problems at all; import well and don't seem to cause any problems with PD

Actually seems to work better than the AVI files from a previous camera (faster anyway)

Not much help with your problem I know but def. possible to use MOD files directly

Have you tried the usual remove & re-install?

Camera I'm using is JVC Enverio S GZ-MS100BEK

Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Pete [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm using the trial version.. but if it works on the full version I don't get it. If something doesn't work on the trial, it doesn't really make me want to buy the product

I'll give the uninstall - reinstall thing a go.

What I did was copy the files from my camcorder to the pc but I haven't tried directly importing them from the camera. Could that be a problem?

If this doesn't work, I'm just gonna find a video conversion program and go that way.
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
I copy them from the camcorder to the PC using the software that came with it (another Cyberlink programme; PowerCinema NE for Enviro) then edit them from there; never tried importing from the camcorder directly. My JVC records onto SD card.

PD works best with the files in a fixed location on your hard drive

I can't imagine the trial version would be that different from the full version on a significant thing like file compatibility?

Hope you get it sorted! It is a good programme Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Pete [Avatar]
[Post New]
for the record, the camcorder I am using is a Everio GZ-MG39U

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, doesn't change anything

I tried importing the MOD files directly from the camcorder. When I click on the 'Import" button and just click on one of the MOD files, PD stops working and shuts down...

definately not going to buy this program now
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Pete, Pete, Pete -

In one page you've gone from your first post to your last!

I can see the thing is misbehaving for you, but I am sure it could be resolved. It's disappointing that you're giving up so quickly. Did you just do a reguar uninstall (through Windows Control Panel) or a complete uninstall?

You can use Windows Install CleanUp Utility to remove all registry issues...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

or follow these instructions...

Uninstall and reinstall of PowerDirector Try the following way to re-install PowerDirector:
a.) Start--> Programs -->Cyberlink PowerDirector --> Uninstall PowerDirector

b.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> click "Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete the "PowerDirector" folder

c.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit"--> click "Hkey_Current_user" --> click "Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete "PowerDirector" folder. d.) Delete C:\Programs Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector And reboot your PC. After this, please install your PowerDirector

Cheers -

Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2009 16:01

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!