Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color board question
[Post New]
Hi

I have PD7 - just downloaded patch 3017 (to try to fix my prob)
I want to make a video of a band and align with the audio recorded seperately from the mixing console.
I insert a color board before the video clip.
By changing the duration of the color board I can accurately align the audio & video.
Problem - when setting the color board duration - I increase the 1/100 sec spin box .
When it gets to 24 it then goes to 00 and the seconds spin box increments by 1 sec.
eg : 5 sec & 24/100 ths - increment the 1/100th by 1 gives 6 secs & 00/100ths.
Is there a fix for this?
TIA
Dats my Bongo...
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I think you are just seeing the real effects of frame rate. 0.24 would be the max for a 25 frames per second (PAL frame rate) and on the 25th would change to 1.00.

Jeff
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
This doesn't apply to colour boards and this may not apply to what you are doing, since I don't know your project BUT are you putting the colour boards in only to align your audio and video? or are they there for another reason? If they are there just to align the audio and video, can you not adjust the audio to match the video?

My colourboards actually go to 29 in the 100th second and then increase to 1 second and so on BUT would creating a video of the colourboard allow you to clip it where you want? If the increments on the colourboards don't work?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
McLean

Your color boards go to 0.29 because you are using NTSC format. In that case, 0.29 would be the max for a 30 frames per second (NTSC frame rate) and on the 30th would change to 1.00.

You can not clip a frame. The increments will apply for anything in the time line.

Jeff
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
True but I would think that the increments shouldn't make the difference in syncing audio and video ultimately, since the video and the colourboards are subject to the same timing. I would think that moving the timing of the board OR a blank video at the beginning of timeline would still allow the audio to be synced.

Bongo4HH good luck with your project.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 12. 2009 10:18

[Post New]
Thanks for the replies
Of couse the third spin box on right click / set duration of the color board counts the number of frames and not 100ths of a second as I has initially thought.
My audio is now perfectly aligned with the video.
Dats my Bongo...
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Congratulations!!
[Post New]
For McLean

My video and audio come from 2 different sources.
That's why I need to be able to push the video a bit further along the timeline to get it back into sync.
Thanks for input. Dats my Bongo...
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes I understood that part, I just wasn't sure whether you were doing something specific with the colour board (such as putting a title in it) and/or whether you were going to be watching a blank screen (basically) until the video started because you wanted the first bit of audio?

If it was just syncing the audio and the video and you didn't want to keep the first bit of audio, then trimming the audio is another option.
[Post New]
Yep

The video is blank while the color board is showing.
I get around this by putting in a text panel with the song title.

The beginning of the audio is nice - shame to lose it.

Here's is the end result
http://video.mytaratata.com/video/iLyROoafMunx.html
Dats my Bongo...
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ahhh I see. Merci beaucoup.
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
I visited your site and watched. Congratulations, maybe it was luck and you did not have a close-up shot of the singer.

I have had bad luck matching audio to video. I used an mp3 digital audio recorder and even employed clapper-board visual clues to sync at the start AND the finish. I found that the sync wanders + and - throughout the recordings, even using clean cameras and new DV tapes. I was trying to do multi-camera work but even a solo camera was a problem.

Ultimately I dumped the cameras which had no external mic audio in and purchased a Sony camera with external mic inputs.

I think the problem exists because on a camera the audio+video tracks together when recorded together (either on-camera mic or external mic) but there is no central timebase sync on consumer equipment to sync-up with say a digital audio recorder. I saw the most noticeable effect when doing close-ups of drummers when the drumstick beat did not match the video movement.
If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
[Post New]
I am not looking for absolutley perfect results.
More a Youtube quality video
I use a Zoom H2 audio recorder with line-in from the mixing console.
The camera is a low cost Sanyo H264 - records on SD memory cards.
So nothing fancy here.
I just look for something in the video that gives me a sync point and get the audio as close as possible
Dats my Bongo...
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Actually it is precise work, no question, but it is possible to sync audio with various different video clips etc, like you would a concert dvd. It just takes some time and playing with the video/audio.

I also have had issues with ul the odd clip to the internet. The video is in sync on my computer and then when uploaded to youtube it goes out of sync.

The other thing to watch out for is using a variable bit rate for your video or audio. It is a flexible bit rate and the odds are you will never match anything up with those clips, because the only thing stable about them is if you watch them, if you try to manipulate them the audio clip can stretch. If you have a constant bit rate (which makes a slightly larger file but SO worth it) You shouldn't have any issues.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2009 16:21

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Your discussion makes good reading guys - you should be happy with the video Bongo. Thatnks for sharing. It looks in sync to me, and meets your purposes. Videocentricity - you're probably right about the closeups - that would have made it more complicated.

Cheers -

Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Well, now I potentially have a similar problem. Just picked up one of the new DSLRs that do video, the Canon T1i (Digital Rebel 500D) and the only audio it does is mono with built in mic and NO EXTERNAL MIC input.

So I've been recording audio with a ZoomH2. Unfortunately unless the latest patch adds visible waveform to separate audio tracks synchronizing stereo audio from the H2 with the mono audio on the main video track is not workable.

In Pinnacle Studio 12 I can align waveform peaks on the separate audio track with waveform peaks on the main video's audio and then mute the audio on the main video track. This leaves the separate audio track and synch looks good.

It too may drift some but I do this scene by scene and it just doesn't have a chance to drift.
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bif I'm not sure what is making audio syncing so difficult, I'm hoping you can help me understand. I do this daily.

Assuming someone is speaking can you not run the video at the top and mute it and trim the audio to match?

As I said in my previous post the only reason that I have run across where the sync would wander would be if you had a variable bit rate.

Can you help me understand what I'm missing?
[Post New]
I don't have a problem with synch wandering. In an NLE where you can see the waveforms on all audio tracks you simply drag your separate audio until the waveforms align and match up. Maybe expand the timeline to get a tad more accurate alignment.

I have the mono audio with the video, and the separate audio done with the ZoomH2 in stereo (and sometimes done with the Rode SVM connected). Instead of trial and error dragging back and forth, align the waveform peaks once and maybe have to "touch it up", mute the main video audio and...Done.

In PD7 with no waveform visible on the separate audio track, you have to "drag" the audio track back and forth until you think you have it, you're literally working half blind.

Does that explanation help?
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Let's see if I can fix this mess of a post.

Bif
I don't have a problem with synch wandering.[/b]

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by

It too may drift some but I do this scene by scene and it just doesn't have a chance to drift.

I had thought one of your problems was the drifting.

I understand what you mean by wave forms etc. I too have a Zoom device, however, what I wasn't really understanding was why you can't sync the audio with the video by eye or by ear. Mind you, the majority of my audio syncing has to do with speaking or singing so I'm able to match the lips of the person speaking or singing with the words OR the person playing the instrument with the music??

Perhaps we are syncing different things.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2009 18:26