Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Aaaah - broken file!
Nathalie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 07, 2009 14:28 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

I am now back with another problem. Now working on a 2nd project, have just finished it and wanted to add the music.
Everything is saved on an external hard drive, went and added a music file to the hard drive to then import it in my PD project and now I get File Broken and nothing else... Have BAK copy but can't seem to open that either.
I have read some of the answers and now know that I should "Save as" in future and just number each update...
Having search in the previous post I don't seem to find a solution, any suggestions or shall I just start all over again.

Any help greatly apprciated.

Nathalie
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nathalie,

Do you mean you have renamed the yourfile.pds.bak to yourfile.pds and it still won't open?

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
HI,
Is the BAK file named XXXXX.pds.bak - the "XXXXXX" just represents a file name?

1. make a copy of the BAK file
2. Rename the BAK file to: XXXXXX001.pds
3. Double click the renamed file
4. PD should have opened and some of your project displayed - to the point when the auto saved kicked in.

What's the result?

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 07. 2009 13:31

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Oye Adrian (C-Cam developer), I answered this with more detail....

Grumble, mumble...blast and drat... he got in before me....

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 07. 2009 13:07

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
You know me - short and sweet Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Nathalie [Avatar]
[Post New]
What would I do without you guys!
I have now my project back THANK YOU SO MUCH.
And No I was trying to open the BAK file just as it was which obvioulsy wasn't getting me anywhere! Now I know... change it to .PDS

I do have another question (probably stupid) but different subject, if I put my project + files on a USB key and try to open it on another laptop which has PD I can never reopen it! Would you know why?

Once again thanks a lot for your help.
Nathalie
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Think of your pds file as like an index or table of contents. PD looks at the pds file and examines the timeline. If it finds something, it refers back to the location from which you first accessed that particular video clip or image (when you first imported into the media library). When you save the pds file onto a USB drive and try to open it on another another computer, PD can not access the original location and hence you will only get black bars where information is supposed to be.

Here's what you have to do if you want to save your project to another location or drive. Directors Chair --> File --> Export --> Pack Project --> Drive and directory of interest. PD will now copy all the associated files to this newly defined location and the resulting new pds file which is created in that location will refer to those files, and not the original files. This is what you should always do when you complete a project and decide to archive it. Otherwise, you run the serious risk of never being able to fix something later. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Well said, James!

In short, Nathalie, what James is saying is - you need to put all your media files on your USB gizmo (that's the Pack thing James was talking about).

When you do THAT, it'll work.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Terry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 14, 2009 13:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Having just lost my project for the second time, run time error (PD vista issue I guess) I was pleased to find this BAK file thead.
I've found the BAK file (I think) in my docs, I followed instructions above, but I have clearly missed something.
now I'm not the sharpest tool in the box as far as computers go, so could you talk me through key by key as it were. I renamed it finishing .pds but it is still a BAK file in properties.
what am I doing wrong?
I think I cocked up on the copying bit.
Terry
Nathalie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James & Tony,

Sorry haven't had a chance to say thank you to you both for your help with my USB problem, now I can clear some stufff of my hard drive and have all my PD project somewhere safe.

Nathalie
Gary [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 06, 2008 12:17 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I'm with Terry, gosh was hoping for this to work.

I did try copying my BAK file and I did rename it with a .pds and still I get nothing. If I double-click nothing happens, Power Director boots up and that's it. If I try to bring that renamed file in, I get the same message that the file is broken.

Interestingly, I look at the properties and it appears the content is there. That is, it says the file is 858 kb.

Man, what a drag...this is the first time this has happened to me in the year I've had Power Director 7.

g

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 28. 2009 21:46

Gary [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 06, 2008 12:17 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
God I hate power director. This pain in the ass program has been a thorn since the beginning.

What fries me the most is the support from spending a good sum of money only comes from youtube or an online forum.

Good bye Cyberlink.